Best Headphones Under or around a 100?
Jun 30, 2012 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jmusic

New Head-Fier
Im looking to get some headphones that are good for a cheap price. What i mainly look for is comfort so please help me out on this one. Looking for around a 100

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 18
There are a fair number of choices in this price range, depending on what type of sound you want.  So it almost always helps us recommend headphones when you tell us your preferences in music, whether you are going to use an amp or not, if you need portability, and if you want open or closed back headphones.  Open headphones will leak sound out, and will let noise in from your location, so they are usually at their best in a quiet, indoor setting.

AKG K240 Studio is a semi-open headphone, with a good mid range, with large, comfortable pads.  Fairly neutral, I find them appropriate for a lot of different uses, including gaming and watching movies, but they seem a bit dull for rock.  They are too big for portable use, and will work without an amp, but will do better with one.

Creative Aurvana Live! is a closed back headphone and won't leak much sound out, though it isn't great at isolation from outside sound.  The pads are very soft and most find them comfortable, though the pads are on the small and shallow side, and if you have big ears, yours might not fit entirely within the pads.  The CAL! has a warm tone, with a nice bass response, good clarity and a fair amount of sparkle at the high end too.  It is a fine choice in this price range, and it does drop down in price periodically to close to $60.  No amp necessary for these.

Sony XB700 is another closed back headphone, with pads that look like large pillows.  The pads are soft, but can get hot.  The XB line of headphones emphasize bass response, so this one is definitely not a neutral sound.  These will play well without an amp too.

So those are a few off the top of my head that should be fairly comfortable.  I'm sure others will chime in with more options for you.

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 18
If you are looking for a small portable 'phone that can be driven by anything and has mucho comfort, try a pair of Senn PX-100 ii.
They are a very warm, but punchy sounding 'phone that work well with iPods, iPads, computer headphone jacks, etc.
They sound great with good headphone amps, too.
They are open 'phones, so if you are worried about leakage they may not be for you.

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 18
Second the CAL! the price to sound ratio is amazing and they are still one of my most comfortable headphones. Big ears might be the only detriment to this.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 18
Im just looking for just the best recommendations. I kinda listen to anything and was looking for the best all around headphones i can buy under a 100. I will look into the headphones mentioned here, thanks

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Im looking to get some headphones that are good for a cheap price. What i mainly look for is comfort so please help me out on this one. Looking for around a 100

HeadFi Headphones for sale is an excellent starting point to find some gems.

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 18
The Phillips O'Neil headphone line is inexpensive and sounds great for the price.  I picked up a pair at Radio Shack yesterday that was regularly $60 an on sale for $25.  They sound great.  The only thing missing is the deep bass you would get with more expensive headphones.  Urban Ears also makes a nice sounding headphone for around $50.  I saw on sale for $40 at, of all places, Crate & Barrel.  I listened out of curiosity and was surprised how good they sound.

Jul 1, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 18
I forgot to mention the Grado SR-60i, these are Definitely worth a listen.
Thye are a very energetic sounding headphone, try before you buy.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 18
The Philips O'Neill's are a good buy for cheap. A little muddy sounding and build quality isn't the best, but for under $40 they're a good buy. They're my snowboarding headphones and I've trashed them.

But, if you're working with a $100 budget, there's a ton of much better options. They certainly wouldn't be my recommendation.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 18
try to buy beyer velour pads as well, and remove the foam ring infront of the driver and hear what happens afterwards :wink:

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 18
Jul 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #15 of 18
Koss Pro DJ 100 is also a good choice. I think the comfort is a bit subjective since I find Grados comfortable when others don't. But the DJ100 and the CAL!'s are very good but those are the only ones I have auditioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back