Best headphones under $70-90 !
Aug 19, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #16 of 25
Sony XB line, mushy bass, mushy pads, weird sound.

Superlux HD-668B, great all around headphones, cheap, some mail order store around the world will ship then to you.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #17 of 25
Nearly forgot. A friend of mine just got his HD-202's and when I had a quick hear. They sounded pretty darn good for the price he got it ($35 + postage).

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #18 of 25

Quote:
Sony XB line, mushy bass, mushy pads, weird sound.

Superlux HD-668B, great all around headphones, cheap, some mail order store around the world will ship then to you.

Been through the review by joker and yep the XB sound's muddy and useless!
By the way my friend had ordered Superlux HD-668B,waiting for em!! , so ill be trying a new headset anyways probably the HD448's just been through the review about em and those HD448's really got something in em !!
:D

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
Nearly forgot. A friend of mine just got his HD-202's and when I had a quick hear. They sounded pretty darn good for the price he got it ($35 + postage).

This is a great package for $35 i would love to have em , but it would be better if i can get my hands on some set which are better than that of Senn's entry level like AKG-K44 or HD448/438 or Superlux HD668B.!!
:)

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #20 of 25
will get back to you in a moment bro. 

Edit:

I don't have the HD448 with me (I bought the HD438) but I did some comparing between the HD4*8 models before and after I purchased the HD438. The HD438s are a lot bassier than the HD448.The HD448 are detailed and much more neutral sounding than Grados. If you're short on money, then the HD428 is a good alternative to the HD448. Grados tend to sound slightly elevated and lively (imo). I hope you can visualise this.   

I've tried the SR80i but I've never done a side by side comparison with the HD448 but one thing is for sure, the HD448s are much more comfortable than the Grados. In fact, all the headphones in the HD4*8 lines are very comfortable (ime). One reason why it's so comfortable is that the clamping force on your head is rather weak, which may be a good or bad thing, it really depends what you intend to do with the headphone. The HD438s I have come with velour pads while the HD448s come with pleather pads. You can interchange the pleather and velour pads according to your preference but that will cost you a few extra bucks.

The HD448 is better at blocking out ambient noise since it will enclose your whole ear, and also because it's a closed-back headphone. Open backs like Grado SR80i let more noise in, and more noise out but it gives the headphones an open sound.

The HD418, 428, 438 and 448 are not difficult to drive at all. You will have no problem reaching very high volume with your laptop or portable player. If you have a decent source or portable player and you want to get an amp, then by all means. Some amps colour the sound - increasing sound stage, bass, etc. but amping is not needed. If you have a very bad source, for example a PSP, then you should get a better source as amping will increase the volume, but it will also make the noise level more apparent. 

The Grados feel like they're built better. The HD448 and other headphones in the series have this little extension part on the headband that is quite flimsy. I can't imagine myself throwing my HD438s on my bed, but I can imagine doing that with some other headphones. It shouldn't be a problem if you don't mistreat or misplace them.

I haven't tried the Superluxes but they seem to be the in-thing right now. It might not be a good investment (they don't look too well-built), and you might feel the urge to upgrade after a while.  

TL;DR HD448 for prolonged usage. It's a versatile headphone. 

Quote:
Koolkat that was great and it  made me drive though this forum again just  been through this definitive review :D w00t.
(http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd448-around-the-ear-headphones/reviews ) About the Senn HD448's and found em perfect for bassheads(not too high) and i could get em straight from India (homeplace) for $80-90 ,this price tag +sound quality  really dragged me into senn's which are just costing me of $10-20+ of AKG's K44's price [$70 incl. shipping],and i had already been through the Grados and Alessandros but they lacked the Bass punch in em (correct me if i'm wrong) ,as per review these senn's had very good increase in performance with FiiO ,by the way i could get em if i really need to Amp the  HD448's.

And the Legendary  ATH M50's they are the bang for buck under $250 audiophile range (been through the reviews )but that's too much for me and would cost me more for shipping and the warranty problems imo .

Anyways  thanks for understanding my needs Koolkat ,and finally could you please give a quick shootout that would help me snap of my dilemma on Grados vs HD448's performance on long usages and amp'ed performance boost?
and what do you mean by  "not rock solid " ?

:D

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #21 of 25

Quote:

This is a great package for $35 i would love to have em , but it would be better if i can get my hands on some set which are better than that of Senn's entry level like AKG-K44 or HD448/438 or Superlux HD668B.!!
:)

Drop everything and get the Superlux HD-668B. It has the most rep out of all the other headphones you listed on head-fi.

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #22 of 25
bump'd.

HD448 > 668B 
smile.gif

In terms of

- build quality (just from the looks)
- satisfaction level (Sennheiser yo)
- isolation 
- comfort

I don't think they're better than the HD448s in terms of SQ,
they're just the flavour of the month. It'll pass. 

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
will get back to you in a moment bro. 

Edit:

I don't have the HD448 with me (I bought the HD438) but I did some comparing between the HD4*8 models before and after I purchased the HD438. The HD438s are a lot bassier than the HD448.The HD448 are detailed and much more neutral sounding than Grados. If you're short on money, then the HD428 is a good alternative to the HD448. Grados tend to sound slightly elevated and lively (imo). I hope you can visualise this.   

I've tried the SR80i but I've never done a side by side comparison with the HD448 but one thing is for sure, the HD448s are much more comfortable than the Grados. In fact, all the headphones in the HD4*8 lines are very comfortable (ime). One reason why it's so comfortable is that the clamping force on your head is rather weak, which may be a good or bad thing, it really depends what you intend to do with the headphone. The HD438s I have come with velour pads while the HD448s come with pleather pads. You can interchange the pleather and velour pads according to your preference but that will cost you a few extra bucks.

The HD448 is better at blocking out ambient noise since it will enclose your whole ear, and also because it's a closed-back headphone. Open backs like Grado SR80i let more noise in, and more noise out but it gives the headphones an open sound.

The HD418, 428, 438 and 448 are not difficult to drive at all. You will have no problem reaching very high volume with your laptop or portable player. If you have a decent source or portable player and you want to get an amp, then by all means. Some amps colour the sound - increasing sound stage, bass, etc. but amping is not needed. If you have a very bad source, for example a PSP, then you should get a better source as amping will increase the volume, but it will also make the noise level more apparent. 

The Grados feel like they're built better. The HD448 and other headphones in the series have this little extension part on the headband that is quite flimsy. I can't imagine myself throwing my HD438s on my bed, but I can imagine doing that with some other headphones. It shouldn't be a problem if you don't mistreat or misplace them.

I haven't tried the Superluxes but they seem to be the in-thing right now. It might not be a good investment (they don't look too well-built), and you might feel the urge to upgrade after a while.  

TL;DR HD448 for prolonged usage. It's a versatile headphone. 

wow, that was pretty good !!!

so ill be ordering these HD448's asap, Thanks buddy for the help!!

smile.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
bump'd.

HD448 > 668B 
smile.gif

In terms of

- build quality (just from the looks)
- satisfaction level (Sennheiser yo)
- isolation 
- comfort

I don't think they're better than the HD448s in terms of SQ,
they're just the flavour of the month. It'll pass. 

hehe...flavor of the month exactly , iv'e noticed too much rep on these Superluxes  (maybe ).
but the senn's have the perfect and good build (ime HD408) !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back