Best headphones under $100?
Jan 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mattmoney107

New Head-Fier
Im looking into getting a new set of headphones and i really want a pair that has great sound quality with a relatively cheap price. been doing some research and ive stumbled on a couple that look like they have potential. EX: Grado sr80i, audio-technica ath d40, audio technica ath es7, equation audio rp 21, denon ah-d301r. Those are just a few that ive found. Im looking for suggestions and recommendations. Keep in mind that i mostly listen to hip hop so a quality bass doesnt hurt.

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 9
I would have to probably side with the sr80i from the list you have. While they won't necessarily have the most bass, I think its probably the best set of cans you can grab for that price. Of course thats just an opinion and theres plenty of other options you might want to check out as well. If big booming bass is a must, it wouldnt hurt looking into the Sony xb500's, think you can get them for around 60 bucks and the sound isnt too bad either.

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 9
For me it's the Koss Pro DJ 100 for $80. I prefer it to almost everything I've tried under $100 or even $150. You can see what I've tried in my profile.
It has good bass, slightly forward mids, but somewhat rolled off highs. Not like a Sennheiser though. To me the sound is about as clear as my modded SR-80. SR-80 isn't bad if you find them comfort. I've always preferred circumaural headphones though. They're also much less fatiguing for those sensitive to treble.

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 9
audio technica m50s can be had for around 100. got mine for 103 shipped.  great for bass.  ive also got a set of rp21s as well, but the m50s are way better

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
For me it's the Koss Pro DJ 100 for $80. I prefer it to almost everything I've tried under $100 or even $150. You can see what I've tried in my profile.
It has good bass, slightly forward mids, but somewhat rolled off highs. Not like a Sennheiser though. To me the sound is about as clear as my modded SR-80. SR-80 isn't bad if you find them comfort. I've always preferred circumaural headphones though. They're also much less fatiguing for those sensitive to treble.

I'll  second  the Koss Pro DJ 100 .  They are awesome.   Clarity is second to none . If you like hearing things you never heard before in your music these are the cans...

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Koss are usually good cans for the money.  Dollar for dollar, they beat many of the other big names out there.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 9
PortaPro, SR60i, HD428, HD280Pro...the Audio Technicas are muddy and highly overrated, and out of the price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back