Best Headphones for under 250?
Sep 2, 2011 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AppleII

New Head-Fier
Hi all:

I'm looking for a pair of headphones. Normally, I use a set of B&O speakers, but cannot anymore because of vibration and noise issues in my house. Here's what I'm looking for in a headphone:

Under 250 dollars
Around ear style
Good, balanced sound, while still being able to hear the bass and treble tones over the mids
Wireless would be preferred, but doesn't really matter
PLEASE no headphones with coiled cords, they really annoy me.

Right now, I'm using an imicro headset I borrowed from work. It probably cost 1 dollar online, and sounds like it.

Shoot me any recommendations you have, but please explain WHY these headphones are better than others in their class.

Thank you,

AppleII

EDIT:

These headphones will mainly be used for classic rock music, as well as light gaming.

EDIT: (Again)

I probably won't be using an amplifier with these headphones, unless it and the headphones stay within budget. I would also prefer a closed design. Portability is no issue.

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 7
Shure 940 HERE (add to cart for real price)

Perfect for you.

Why?
Grado sound for Rock
Wide soundstage for gaming
Around ear
Comfy
Closed
Can be portable
KILLER price at $210 shipped
Also great bass that doesn't impact but is heard. Good for rock btw.

These are jsut about the best headphones you can buy for under $300, let alone under $500

EDIT: Doesn't need a amp, but would become a tad bit better with one. FiiO E6 would be nice if it's released yet. I wouldn't go FiiO E5 for these, but FiiO E7 wouldn't be bad either

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 7
For me it was the Denon AH-D2000.

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Basically I mean that I want sound that doesn't have overpowering bass or treble, but where they still stand out a bit.

Shure 940 shows the mids, but might not have enough BOOM then what Bassheads would need. The bass extends really well and is really defined. Still stands out, but doesn't steal the show

Users who are viewing this thread

Back