Best Headphones for Movies?
Feb 24, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #16 of 24
I'll be looking at adding a bass shaker/transducer under the couch to add the bass "rumble'

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #17 of 24
Wow, seems like I am still getting a lot of conflicting opinions on this.  Im looking for 100% movies. And I will be using 100% the Smyth A16 surround processor when released for all movies and maybe a little music from time to time like a blue ray from Eric Clapton, Eagles, or even some hard rock at times like Metallica.    Not sure if sibilance would be corrected by the A16 or not?
Im ok with open headphones.. they are not loud enough to wake my wife in the other room next door. (she runs a fan when she sleeps), but a sub would definitely wake her up adn not sure if a bass shaker would do the same or not..never used one.

I do have to say, I have a lot of trouble hearing dialog during movies so that is a big consideration and so is soundstage and bass for LFE

The headphones I have read reviews I might be interested in that are UNDER $2500 (my range is $800-$2500 purchase price)..not in any particular order...:

Hifiman HE-1000 or 1000 v2 
HifiMan Edition X v2
Mr. Speakers Ether Planar ?
Sennheiser HD-800S (not the HD800)
Sony Z1R
Audeze LCD‑3
Audeze LCD-X
Stax SR-007 Mk2  
Stax SR-L700
Oppo PM-1
Focal Utopia (if I can increase my budget)

Im thinking that the planar-magnetic headphones might be better in my application, but not sure.  Cant get out of my head what the Smyth A16 is going to do.

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #19 of 24
I am also a 99.5% headphone movie listener. My top priority is also clear dialog. Bass is important but not the most important. With my criteria, i would also consider Koss ESP950, one of the clearest vocal around, bass is very detail with decent impact.
Just a suggestion.

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #20 of 24
Ive got the K712 already for the past 3 years. Its OK, but not blow me out of the water .. Im ready to spend the money to go to a WOW product.  Something that gives me gosebumps.  The X factor for me is whether or not the Smyth A16 is going to turn my K712s into a wow or not.

To me, I am in between that do I spend $800-1200 or do I go all out into that $2-4k range and for movie only use, is it really worth it for movies only.

I also have to get a headphone amp most likely..is what I am thinking at the moment.  Im looking for someone to say they have had a wow experience with this headphone and amp for movies.

Aug 26, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #21 of 24
I am also a 99.5% headphone movie listener. My top priority is also clear dialog. Bass is important but not the most important. With my criteria, i would also consider Koss ESP950, one of the clearest vocal around, bass is very detail with decent impact.
Just a suggestion.

So what’d you end up with and how’d it turn out? Right now I’m after the same things you described. Currently using a THX00 and on the fence about what the best upgrade would be. Current options would be:

Fostex TH900
Sony Z1R
Focal Elear
Audeze LCD2

Jun 5, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #22 of 24
So what’d you end up with and how’d it turn out? Right now I’m after the same things you described. Currently using a THX00 and on the fence about what the best upgrade would be. Current options would be:

Fostex TH900
Sony Z1R
Focal Elear
Audeze LCD2

Ive kept my AKG's for now, waiting for the Smyth A16 to be released. Then I will ask the question again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back