Best headphones for Ipod - Metal / Rock (ATH-M50 vs ATH-ES7)
Feb 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ombadboy

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, sorry to barge in with my 1st post like this.. been following the forum for some time, but haven't signed up, until now.

I've been looking to replace my in-ear sennheisers with some (preferably) closed back, cans and good noise cancellation..

Which headphones do you think are the best for portable music (mostly in busy London tube, walking to/from uni, etc) for heavy metal music?

Also got FiiO E5 Portable Headphone Amplifier for a bit more oomph

Am looking something in the price range of ~80 GBP/ 130 USD/ 100 EURO.. give or take (willing to pay a bit more if it's necessary).

I've read the Grados are good for rock/metal (SR80i or the 60i) but unfortunately all Grados are open-back. There were also good recommendations on the ATH-ANC7B (didnt find anywhere opinions on rock/metal) and the M50 (which are again open-back).

Thanks in advance, and excuse my loosy english!

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 8
The Audio Technica M50's are not open back, they're closed. Grado would be a bad choice for your use. Noise canceling usually have worse sound quality in comparisons to non noise canceling for your price range.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 8
Excuse my mistake there with the M50.. I remember a major drawback which made me look away from them, but can't recall now. What would you recommend?e

edit: i was leaning towards the M50, but unfortunately AT dont like detachable cables, and it's going to be a bit of a pain carrying all that cable around with me.. unless its not that long? (coiled version i suppose)

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't know about the M50's but others seem to praise them as a great entry level closed headphone. Might want to buy from a place that allows returns incase you don't like them. Personally I bought Sony MDR-V6 many years ago for closed headphones and I like there sound for their price. I know the M50 come in coiled or straight cable versions.

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Definitely more portabililty with the ES7.  They are also the easier of the 2 to drive.  You wouldn't need the E5 with them.  They are really pretty different headphones.  The ES7 is very in your face and really fun, but they can be quite overbearing for long listens.  They are also not nearly as comfortable as the M50.

I think the M50 is really a very solid headphone for many different types of music.  They seem to do everything pretty good. 

Both will isolate noise really good. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 8
am mostly looking for cans (metal/rock as i said before) while commuting.. (not that much interested while at home)

was firstly thinking of gettin of the M50 (due to superior quality), but as i wudnt say i have a big head, it might look goofy or bit big for me while on the move..

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
am mostly looking for cans (metal/rock as i said before) while commuting.. (not that much interested while at home)

was firstly thinking of gettin of the M50 (due to superior quality), but as i wudnt say i have a big head, it might look goofy or bit big for me while on the move..

I commute everyday and will use the es7 or m50 or dt770 pros. M50 and dt770 are really big and do look goofy but when you are getting great sound you really dont care what other people think about the look.   With that said Es7 is better for a quick commute, they are loud and upfront. Good bass. The M50 is more comfortable and better if its a long commute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back