best headphones for Hip-Hop??
Mar 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyS54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i owned the D2000 and imo they are no 'good' for urban genres and those types of music. the sound is far too refined and accurate on the whole. while the bass is 'big' - deep and impactful, it is still even to some extent.

whereas for hip-hop you want the main emphasis to be a serious mid-bass hump for that 'groove' factor. how present mids and highs can be with this kind of signature is debatable and probably a quality indicator between different 'hip-hop' cans.

granted, this kind of sound will be largely despised here for its inaccuracy, but believe me, this is how those genres of music are meant to be presented. they are the opposite of audiophile friendly. only a handful of producers do things that can sound great through high-end equipment and in these cases the material is still better to listen to with 'silly' bass.

so, the d2000 were way too bright and i am looking for a new set - the dreaded beats by dre (new version called spins are dropping too) are near the top of my list. they will also have to be comfortable, which eliminates quite a lot of bass friendly cans, but other considerations include the sony XB series, DT770 and a few others...

i would recommend the panasonic rp-htx7 for the price though, works well with hip-hop. plenty of detail without being too shrill and nice bass. still too thin for my liking, but plenty of punch and enjoyable with urban genres. i also think the bose IE's have tremendous low-end - call it fuzzy, muddy, distorted or whatever, but it's there and rumbly in large quantities. shame they have such a lack of mids and highs it restricts detail/resolution in a major way. but completely non-fatiguing sound.

Yeah bose IE have pretty strong low end thats non-fatiguing. Roughly after 200hrs of burn in, the bass tightens a lot. Even when you compare other headphones that have strong bass, you still want that bose kind of bass that puts you to a groovy mood. Im hoping the solo hd and spins have that kind of bass coupled with good mids & highs and most importantly comfortable, then that should be perfect.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #47 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah bose IE have pretty strong low end thats non-fatiguing. Roughly after 200hrs of burn in, the bass tightens a lot. Even when you compare other headphones that have strong bass, you still want that bose kind of bass that puts you to a groovy mood. Im hoping the solo hd and spins have that kind of bass coupled with good mids & highs and most importantly comfortable, then that should be perfect.

i haven't even tried the studios yet, have you? what are your thoughts on those? they are the ones i'm considering seeing as though they can had for quite a bit less than what the spins will be.

also, the battery power is supposed to somehow be used for the sound drivers in addition to the NC circuits. i have a suspicion that the spins will not quite have the same type of bass (even though i don't know what that is having not heard the studios)...

the solo hd are not circumaural so i wouldn't even consider those. i think the spins are fully enclosed, but its hard to tell. they definitely have a much wider rim around the ear enclosure...

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #48 of 71
Quote:

i haven't even tried the studios yet, have you? what are your thoughts on those? they are the ones i'm considering seeing as though they can had for quite a bit less than what the spins will be.

also, the battery power is supposed to somehow be used for the sound drivers in addition to the NC circuits. i have a suspicion that the spins will not quite have the same type of bass (even though i don't know what that is having not heard the studios)...

the solo hd are not circumaural so i wouldn't even consider those. i think the spins are fully enclosed, but its hard to tell. they definitely have a much wider rim around the ear enclosure...

I find the studios produces thumping bass thats enjoyable for hip hop/rnb type. It really suits those kinds of genre's. If the spins dont have a built-in amp then it may not be as powerful as studios but i doubt that since its designed and built for djing. As for the solo hd, according to the review on youtube, it is better than solos and gives the mids and highs that was lacking on solos..

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #49 of 71
I doubt you can get better bass then the M Audio Q40s for under $200.Never heard better hard hitting speaker like bass yet.Had the DT770 80ohms.They don't compare.Though i have read Allen and Heath XD 53 headphones have monster (high quality) bass with clear detailed highs and mids.I'm going to demo them this week.They are going for $200.Other so called bass performers that have been praised.Sennheiser HD25II and Audio Technica M50 and acceptable by some,the HD280(not me).That is $200 and under.Other than that your going to have to extend your budget by a few hundred.Best to demo them before buying.Because some people's example of "bass monster".Don't exactly move air and vibrate with authority and with quality hard hitting bass which is rare and hard to find amongst so many headphones.I find that "DJ" or "Studio" heaphones have that real hard hitting bass that leaves you with the jaw dropping wow factor.Which again,is rare.

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #50 of 71
PRO 900 for hard hitting bass.

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #51 of 71
Definitely HFI-780's if you're looking for headphones under $200(they're like $190 on Amazon.com). My roomie has the Beats by Dr. Dre but honestly don't buy those if you're going to listen to them in a library or someplace quiet because if you turn the volume past 25% everyone around is going to hear what you're listening to because of sound leaking.

Another thing about the audio quality is that (no offense) the target market for the Beats are going to gravitate to the boomy bass that hides the flaws in the mids/highs which shows when you're not listening to any mp3 that's <320kbps
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #52 of 71
Quote:

i owned the D2000 and imo they are no 'good' for urban genres and those types of music. the sound is far too refined and accurate on the whole. while the bass is 'big' - deep and impactful, it is still even to some extent.

whereas for hip-hop you want the main emphasis to be a serious mid-bass hump for that 'groove' factor. how present mids and highs can be with this kind of signature is debatable and probably a quality indicator between different 'hip-hop' cans.

granted, this kind of sound will be largely despised here for its inaccuracy, but believe me, this is how those genres of music are meant to be presented. they are the opposite of audiophile friendly. only a handful of producers do things that can sound great through high-end equipment and in these cases the material is still better to listen to with 'silly' bass.

so, the d2000 were way too bright and i am looking for a new set - the dreaded beats by dre (new version called spins are dropping too) are near the top of my list. they will also have to be comfortable, which eliminates quite a lot of bass friendly cans, but other considerations include the sony XB series, DT770 and a few others...

... a valid point on the d2000's. i actually had similar experiences when i bought my first decent headphones (senn hd 555) They were too balanced and laid back for my musical tastes at the time. I was actually totally dissapointed, and i remember i bought a really crappy eq so i could then crank the bass all the way up. I wasnt satisfied until my eyes were shaking :wink:.

It is worth noting though, that decent balanced/laid back headphones like this can output crazy bass if youre willing to crank an eq... of course we all know what happens when you do that.. but none the less...

Sometimes, just for fun i strap on my px100's and kill the bass on the eq.. those little guys can seriously thump... :wink:

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #53 of 71
I actually demoed the DRE Beats at the apple store. They were really comfy and I liked their nice plush ear pads. They actually sound pretty damn good, can't say that it's worth the price though. Nice separation and the bass wasn't defined by any means but had a nice low, slammin' bass. I couldn't tell what it was being driven out of though. If it sounds that good out of an ipod and sold at a decent price, I'd probably buy it. I haven't heard any Denon cans yet..I've been wanting to try some as I hear they would make great hip-hop cans. My K240 should do for now..

edit: I also thought the Beats sounded pretty good with pop and rock. It's not a serious listening headphone, but if you just want to enjoy, the Beats aren't that bad at all.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #54 of 71
i think when people say other sets have hard hitting bass that isn't really what i mean. clean, hard hitting, impactful bass is not what you are looking for for urban genres - far too fatiguing. the d2000 were no good even with EQ because the sound was just too overwhelming into the ear - the proximity/size of the drivers, the high-end is imo bordering on silibant. the complete opposite of 'laid-back'.

what you need for an enjoyable listen is somewhat recessed mids/highs and a deliberately uneven, boomy low-end - a dark, laid back sound. basically what peole associate with cheap, low end sets, but there is a lot of differences in how this kind of signature can be done. the uneven low end needs to balance the amount of impact and all round bass extension/presentation, or the sound will not be 'groovy'. too much impact will ruin things and become too uncomfortable for listening.

if you cannot have the most outrageous, boomy quantity of bass in a way that is comfortable for listening to for hours, the set fails as a hip-hop can imo. eq the bass on the d2000 and it becomes both unpleasurable in how it feels and how the distortion sounds.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #55 of 71
To the OP: Congratulations on your purchase, and happy listening. Hope you enjoy them
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #57 of 71
You wouldn't suggest the K701 Acix?
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You wouldn't suggest the K701 Acix?
wink.gif

Well, the 702 as a first hps can be a little confuse, especially if the OP want AKG 81 DJ or Sennheiser HD595. So I'll recommend something in the middle with a nice sound stage and punchy bass like the Ultrasones.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #59 of 71
Don't know if I should start a new thread about this but since you guys are discussing the D2000 and bass.

I bought the D2000 just a few days ago. I listen to (almost) everything, from Hip-Hop, Punk, Jazz, etc. and thus far I have been pretty disappointed with the bass, especially after reading everywhere about their thump and wobbling bass, etc.

My setup goes from iMac - >M-Audio AV 40 (speakers) -> D2000

I think I may need an amp but I had also read so much about how easy they are to drive and that no amp was needed.

I'm just confused since I keep reading about their deep bass but can't get any umph behind anything.

Any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back