Best headphones for Heavy Metal
May 10, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #16 of 37

Quote:

I'm curious though, when I do buy cans, do I need an amp and DAC with it? I'll be using my 2009 iPod Classic. My budget is 400$, including amp and DAC if it's needed. Thanks.

You don't need a DAC if you are using Ipod, DAC are used only if you want to connect it to your PC or digital source. amp are also not really necessary for all phones...

In my opinion grado is the best for your music taste ... get SR-325 or RS-2 if you can.

May 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #18 of 37
I prefer the SR-60s as they have that Grado colouration that works so well with rock/metal. The MS1s would be better for jazz or acoustic.

Just my two cents...

May 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #19 of 37

Quote:
I love neutral headphones too. I would classify the T1s as neutral too (and they do work very, very well with rock/metal), but with metal, I'm not a fan of the HD800s.

I do love the HD800s with prog rock though! Pink Floyd and Rush with the HD800s are simply amazing!

I would say that the details with the T1s are definitely there, they just don't throw them in your face as the HD800s. Both are very neutral/balanced headphones, with the HD800s bang on neutral and the T1s as slightly on the warm side of neutral.

Some of my thoughts on the two, if you're interested:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/472114/hd800-and-t1-musings/0

Cheers mate, shall be reading through that.  :)  My impression of the hd800s are mostly with Pink Floyd (Dark side of the moon vinyl in particular) as well as a much heavier band Berzerker.

May 10, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #20 of 37

Quote:

My impression of the hd800s are mostly with Pink Floyd (Dark side of the moon vinyl in particular)

Very nice indeed!

My favourite album of all time and with the HD800s, just can't get any better!

May 10, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #21 of 37

Quote:
Very nice indeed!

My favourite album of all time and with the HD800s, just can't get any better!

Hazzah, it is by far my favourite rock albumn

May 10, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #22 of 37

Quote:
Hazzah, it is by far my favourite rock....

Nice to find someone else who spells favourite with the "u"....the Queen's English!

I must have listened to DSOTM at least once a month for the past 25 years...that works out to around 300 times
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #23 of 37
Thanks for all the recs. A few questions:

Are all Grado cans opened? So that would mean that it leaks sound, which is not an option for me because I mostly listen to music in public.

So I don't need a DAC if I'm using my iPod, right? About amps, are there any good portable amps that go well with full size headphones? iBasso D10 is way too big for me. I need something around the size of a Headstage Arrow or iBasso T3.

May 10, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #24 of 37

Quote:
I have no complaints listening to metal on my DT990/600 and metal is my primary genre. I don't think you could drive them very well out of an iPod though.

I don't listen to much metal but pulled out an old(ish) Satriani CD and the DT990/600>LD MKIII finally made it listenable as compared to my beloved HD600.   Took the sibilance out.

May 10, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #25 of 37

Quote:
Nice to find someone else who spells favourite with the "u"....the Queen's English!

I must have listened to DSOTM at least once a month for the past 25 years...that works out to around 300 times
biggrin.gif

I'm not even 25 years old.  But I probably have listened to the albumn around 100 times (it's my ultimate study cd).

Quote:
Thanks for all the recs. A few questions:

Are all Grado cans opened? So that would mean that it leaks sound, which is not an option for me because I mostly listen to music in public.

So I don't need a DAC if I'm using my iPod, right? About amps, are there any good portable amps that go well with full size headphones? iBasso D10 is way too big for me. I need something around the size of a Headstage Arrow or iBasso T3.

Maybe some Sennheiser hd25 II, and as for a portable amp, I personally would look at a RSA hornett.  :D

May 11, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #26 of 37
Looks like the DT990/600 is pretty popular, I'm considering it. What about the Denon D5000? It's 400$, and it looks beautiful. How does it do with Metal?

As for amps, I'll need something small that will fit in my jeans pocket.

May 11, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #27 of 37
If you're only looking at portable amps, don't even bother with the 600-ohm Beyers, lol. And yes, all Grado's are open cans. But can you define 'public' as your listening environment - do you mean office, travel, ?

EDIT: Noticed you said you needed an amp in your jeans pocket, so I'm assuming on-the-move 'phones. Audio-Technica ES7? Unless you were really intending on full-sized 'phones.

May 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #28 of 37
For $400 and you'll use an iPod, you won't need the DAC, unless you'll be using it also with your laptop. That said try the SR225i and the NuForce Icon Mobile, and don't forget a decent LOD. A tip though: by "decent," forget those heavy-duty exotic LODs because the mini-plug will be too fat considering the slim profile on the Icon Mobile, which complicates things if it's stuck on the back of the iPod. The Fiio LOD would work well enough. If you won't use it with your laptop or desktop PC, might as well get a decent CMOY amp.

And if you upgrade sources down the line, or build a full system at home with a disc player or your PC as source, I recommend you listen to the SR225i with a DAC-AH/Valab DAC and a decent tube amp. Pop in Pantera's "Cemetery Gates," Metallica's "Wherever I May Roam," Therion's "Nightside of Eden," Epica's "Facade of Reality" and "Consign to Oblivion," just to get started. Cured me of upgraditis, other than the need for a K70x for the amazing separation and extended treble with Epica.

Just one issue though: the noise WILL be a problem, I rarely listen to my Grados out of the house. Maybe in coffee shops but since I smoke, I usually sit outside unless it's too darned hot. Best probably is to build a full system at home around the Grados and stick to IEMs when out.

May 11, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #29 of 37

Quote:
Just one issue though: the noise WILL be a problem, I rarely listen to my Grados out of the house. Maybe in coffee shops but since I smoke, I usually sit outside unless it's too darned hot. Best probably is to build a full system at home around the Grados and stick to IEMs when out.

I couldn't agree more.

May 11, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #30 of 37
For metal I also like my UE Triple.fi....which are dark in character and have a V shaped Freq response...so Metallica  Soundgarden etc sounds real good through them.

I agree with Suntory_Times for on the move use IEM (not Shure or ETY which are bad IMHO) and build a kickass rig around Grados (RS2 or RS1) for home listening.

You dont need an amp for iPod with IEM and the benefit of a headphone amp is very little (unless you have an iPod 5G and you have iModded it)

My $0.02 for what they are worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back