Best headphones for Electronic Dance Music (future house, House, Trance) in 2019 for around $2,000
Sep 9, 2019 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MusicLover12321

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched and seen this question asked before, but for either lower budgets or from years ago where the landscape has changed since.

I want the best headphones for enjoying EDM music. I like bass. I currently own the Beyerdynamic DT770s 250 Ohm for about 7 years and the 990s 250 Ohm since a year ago and I love both headphones.

I've tried the Sennheiser HD 58xs and 6xxs and was meh about them. They have clarity but they're anemic sounding in comparison to the beyers, and the beyers are so much more comfortable. I also own the AKG 240s, which I enjoy, but they're def not on the level of the beyers either.

I use an O2/Odac revision B for a dac/amp on the lower of the two gain settings, at less than 50% volume & I'm very happy with it. Has more than enough power for me, because I have sensitive hearing and while I enjoy music at moderate volumes, I do not blast music excessively for extended periods (save your hearing!).

I initially considered the LCD-Xs, but it seems that digging deeper into my specific intended usage (EDM), there are better options available: Ultrasone 2900s, Denon D5000/7000 (though the newest version appears to be the 7200, but not sure if as good), AKG K812 - I'm mainly pulling info from this forum post, which seems the most methodical, but is a bit dated: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-headphones-for-electronic-music.859478/

Budget is up to $2,000, but I'm willing to go a little bit higher if necessary. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Not sure exactly whether you are focusing more on open or closed here (it seems you have one of each and are enjoying both Beyers). That said, you might look into a Z1R and see what you think. Definitely some bass there. Also, I am wondering about the ZMF line given your apparent preferences and application. You might read about ZMF and see if there is one thee that is peaking your interest. It is possible one could work for you. It is in my opinion a great company that makes great products. Just my personal take.

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 9
If you dont want to break the bank,the discontinued Sennheiser HD250 is fabulous for EDM/Trance/electronica. Bass to die for! Whether or not your amp will be up to driving them correctly or not I have no idea.

Further up the price range theres the LCD-2 pre fazor. I still prefer the HD250 for its treble vs. the Audeze.

The ZMF Auteur is good for pretty much all genres,and I consider it to be an all-arounder. I find the sub-bass on the HD250 to be more pronounced and dramatic.

I heard the relatively inexpensive V-Moda M-100 with all sorts of EQ adjustments that @DiscoProJoe has done extensive research with. That thing literally shook my skull. Comfort and usability with other genres might be an issue though.

If you want to break the bank entirely, the new ZMF Verite closed is absolutely insane with trance(and pretty much any genre you throw at it)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 9
Thank you Monsterzero, I'll take a look at the closed ZMF verite specifically
You wont find much about the Verite closed(VC)yet,as its not out yet. Its coming out on September 20th.
ZMF sent me an advance pair for review purposes,and theyre on my head as im typing. I will be doing a video review for them this week,which will most likely be the first review of them. Check my YouTube channel(link in signature)later in the week.

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 9
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back