Best Headphones For Dubstep and Trap : Under $165
Apr 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #271 of 736
Quote:
Mkay, you're probably right. TBH, the Crossfade LPs aren't that bad. If I need a new pair of cans, I think I'll go with the Creative Aurvana Live or the Ultrasone HFI-580/780.

First would be a downgrade, the second two would be only a slight upgrade (and an absolute downgrade if you don't like their treble). Of course, that's my subjective opinion. I'd love it if a mod would shut down this thread :p You need to start trying them out rather than flip-flopping and asking questions! We love answering questions, but there's only so much we can tell you! And it seems as if you were disappointed in what we recommended anyway. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #272 of 736
Quote:
First would be a downgrade, the second two would be only a slight upgrade (and an absolute downgrade if you don't like their treble). Of course, that's my subjective opinion. I'd love it if a mod would shut down this thread :p You need to start trying them out rather than flip-flopping and asking questions! We love answering questions, but there's only so much we can tell you! And it seems as if you were disappointed in what we recommended anyway. 

Well, I've recently looked into the "Paper Towel Mod" + Digizoid ZO2 which I heard of off Leon Dota's review of the M-100's. He said that "This, combined with the ZO2, and it becomes the most perfect headphones I've ever listened to", which I think means that the mids and high aren't hiding anymore, but their is still that boomy bass.

I'm going to try that mod with the Crossfade LPs, cause the LP's and the M100's pretty much are the same kind of so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #274 of 736
Quote:
Well, I've recently looked into the "Paper Towel Mod" + Digizoid ZO2 which I heard of off Leon Dota's review of the M-100's. He said that "This, combined with the ZO2, and it becomes the most perfect headphones I've ever listened to", which I think means that the mids and high aren't hiding anymore, but their is still that boomy bass.

I'm going to try that mod with the Crossfade LPs, cause the LP's and the M100's pretty much are the same kind of so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

You can do that, and it might have the same effect, although the M-100 and Crossfade LP don't sound the same, so it won't sound the same. They don't sound drastically different, but their tonal balance is different, so applying the mod won't necessarily produce the same sound. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #275 of 736

I wouldn't count on that working for you.

So what would be the pair of (bass) headphones that have the most bass that doesn't recess the mids and treble? $100-$230 range. Again, great for Dubstep and Trap.

That's the problem. If you have more bass quantity, it is going to overshadow the mids and highs. Or you can can go with a v-shaped response headphone where the treble is also emphasized, but then mids are still going to be less.

So is it massive bass you are looking for? Or good sounding bass. Not the same thing. And is it more midbass or more sub bass?

That's why I think you are better off ordering some other headphones and just trying them. Could be that you will find the pair that is just the right combination for you, and it may not be what you expect from reading all these recommendations. I thought for sure that I would not like the Grado sound because of all the complaints about them being bright. And yet I love them, and use them for everything but bass heavy music.

And so here's what I would say about the Ultrasones since you mentioned them again. The HFI-580s will have more bass impact than the 780s. I thought the bass ran a little hot on the 580s and went with the 780s (my personal preference, of course). And as a consequence of the heavier lower bass, the mids are more recessed than on the 780s. The 780s also have slightly better drivers so you get a touch more refined sound. And the 780s can be boosted to increase the lower bass impact, but it depends on how much you are looking for and what you device you are using (amp bass boost which is fixed or EQ of the source). Some people like more sub bass; some more mid bass. Bass boosts on amps don't all boost the same frequency range or the same amount.

So all of this is hard to predict via forum posts what is best for you until you have experience with a wider range of headphones (and amps). Why do you think so many head-fiers have lots of headphone and amp experience? Tough to find the right match to what we like :)

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #276 of 736
Quote:
I wouldn't count on that working for you.
That's the problem. If you have more bass quantity, it is going to overshadow the mids and highs. Or you can can go with a v-shaped response headphone where the treble is also emphasized, but then mids are still going to be less.

So is it massive bass you are looking for? Or good sounding bass. Not the same thing. And is it more midbass or more sub bass?

That's why I think you are better off ordering some other headphones and just trying them. Could be that you will find the pair that is just the right combination for you, and it may not be what you expect from reading all these recommendations. I thought for sure that I would not like the Grado sound because of all the complaints about them being bright. And yet I love them, and use them for everything but bass heavy music.

And so here's what I would say about the Ultrasones since you mentioned them again. The HFI-580s will have more bass impact than the 780s. I thought the bass ran a little hot on the 580s and went with the 780s (my personal preference, of course). And as a consequence of the heavier lower bass, the mids are more recessed than on the 780s. The 780s also have slightly better drivers so you get a touch more refined sound. And the 780s can be boosted to increase the lower bass impact, but it depends on how much you are looking for and what you device you are using (amp bass boost which is fixed or EQ of the source). Some people like more sub bass; some more mid bass. Bass boosts on amps don't all boost the same frequency range or the same amount.

So all of this is hard to predict via forum posts what is best for you until you have experience with a wider range of headphones (and amps). Why do you think so many head-fiers have lots of headphone and amp experience? Tough to find the right match to what we like
smily_headphones1.gif

Is the "erwe-erwe-erwe" and the "wub-wub-wub" on Dubstep songs called mid-bass? Because I'd like for it to have great sub and mid bass.

Would a sub-$200 balanced, great SQ headphone for Dubstep (such as the M50) + the Digizoid ZO2 be what I'm looking for?

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #277 of 736
Is the "erwe-erwe-erwe" and the "wub-wub-wub" on Dubstep songs called mid-bass? Because I'd like for it to have great sub and mid bass.

Would a sub-$200 balanced, great SQ headphone for Dubstep (such as the M50) + the Digizoid ZO2 be what I'm looking for?

People define it differently, but I think of midbass as more than 50hz up to 120hz range, with sub bass below that.

Check out this chart to see what range instruments play down low. Dubstep often has some very low frequency electronic content below 50hz, but not always. If you want to experiment, you could take a song, edit it in Audacity, and use the high pass filters to eliminate the below 50hz response to see what you would miss.

As for the Digitzoid, I would personally choose the E11 instead. ClieOS's amp shootout review indicates that the E11 is probably better overall.

But otherwise, I can't answer your question. You just have to try different headphones. It's an individual journey for each person that is different :)

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #278 of 736
Quote:
People define it differently, but I think of midbass as more than 50hz up to 120hz range, with sub bass below that.

Check out this chart to see what range instruments play down low. Dubstep often has some very low frequency electronic content below 50hz, but not always. If you want to experiment, you could take a song, edit it in Audacity, and use the high pass filters to eliminate the below 50hz response to see what you would miss.

As for the Digitzoid, I would personally choose the E11 instead. ClieOS's amp shootout review indicates that the E11 is probably better overall.

But otherwise, I can't answer your question. You just have to try different headphones. It's an individual journey for each person that is different
smily_headphones1.gif

That's actually a really good idea. I'll try to do that with a song I have in mind.

As for the E11, would the E11 have the same bass as Digizoid ZO2?

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #279 of 736
That's actually a really good idea. I'll try to do that with a song I have in mind.

As for the E11, would the E11 have the same bass as Digizoid ZO2?

Just make sure to edit a copy of the song :wink:

I don't know which has better bass. But don't forget to keep in mind overall amp SQ quality. You might not want more bass at the cost of less detail and clarity in the midrange and treble.

Then as far as bass, there are two things to consider: the amount of the boost and what frequency range it is centered on. What you need of that is dependent on the frequency response of the headphones you buy and the amount of bass emphasis that they already have. Might be best to pick out headphones first.

If you want another amp to consider, look into the C&C BH. Nice and small with an 80 hour battery life: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #280 of 736
Quote:
Just make sure to edit a copy of the song
wink.gif

I don't know which has better bass. But don't forget to keep in mind overall amp SQ quality. You might not want more bass at the cost of less detail and clarity in the midrange and treble.

Then as far as bass, there are two things to consider: the amount of the boost and what frequency range it is centered on. What you need of that is dependent on the frequency response of the headphones you buy and the amount of bass emphasis that they already have. Might be best to pick out headphones first.

If you want another amp to consider, look into the C&C BH. Nice and small with an 80 hour battery life: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Alright, I gotcha.

Also, if you didn't know, I haven't completely given up on the LPs yet..

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #281 of 736
Seems like we are in the same boat. I recently got my crossfade lp also and I'm having trouble on deciding if they are what i want or if i need to get something else. From what I've been reading about the ultrasones, they have a harsh treble (something, I think i struggle with even the vmodas on the highest volume give me that ear splitting treble noise that gives me a headache and causes fatigue). My xb500s never did that even at the highest volumes. so I think the ultrasones might be too bright....let me know what you find via research etc since we seem to be in the same boat. Btw all the audiophiles keep recommending the dt770 but honestly from people like us who listen to techno/db/house/dance/Electro its not what we are looking for at all.

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #282 of 736
Seems like we are in the same boat. I recently got my crossfade lp also and I'm having trouble on deciding if they are what i want or if i need to get something else. From what I've been reading about the ultrasones, they have a harsh treble (something, I think i struggle with even the vmodas on the highest volume give me that ear splitting treble noise that gives me a headache and causes fatigue). My xb500s never did that even at the highest volumes. so I think the ultrasones might be too bright....let me know what you find via research etc since we seem to be in the same boat. Btw all the audiophiles keep recommending the dt770 but honestly from people like us who listen to techno/db/house/dance/Electro its not what we are looking for at all.

I don't listen to my Ultrasones above moderately loud volumes. I'm more interested in best SQ over max SPL. I would probably find them fatiguing if I listened to them very loud, too.

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #283 of 736
Quote:

I've read up some about the E11 amp, and maybe we need a balanced headphone with the E11 amp, or possibly the Digizoid ZO2. A balanced headphone and a bass-boosting amplifier SHOULD give us what we want...Boomy bass, great mids and highs. and overall great SQ.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #285 of 736
Quote:

I've read up some about the E11 amp, and maybe we need a balanced headphone with the E11 amp, or possibly the Digizoid ZO2. A balanced headphone and a bass-boosting amplifier SHOULD give us what we want...Boomy bass, great mids and highs. and overall great SQ.

Someone recommended the digizoid ZO2+ath-m50 in my thread....but then someone else said its a bad idea immediately.

P.S. I tink its funny we both have the same brand new headphone and are looking for something else haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back