Best headphones for bicycling?
Dec 10, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #16 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can generally feel traffic when it comes up on me. without music I am generally much more tense in traffic and often overreact to small things.

Yes, I would imagine that you really will be able to "feel traffic" when that "traffic" hits you from behind because you were wearing headphones while biking.
If you are more tense in traffic and often overreact to small things without wearing headphones, that means that the headphones are causing you to be in a state of denial about the dangers of riding in traffic while wearing the headphones as you are biking. And, obviously, when the headphones are taken away (similar to a drug) you become more tense because the "state of denial" is taken away and you're left to face the reality of the situation "weakened" from your previous "state of denial". This is very similar, also, to those who drink heavily and think they are alright to drive a car. They aren't "alright" and they often end up paying a heavy price for their lack of judgment because of their "state of denial" while intoxicated.
In some states it is also illegal to ride a bike without a helmet while in traffic and rightfully so.

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #17 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are very open, you hear all traffic. Just like really good speakers. Helmets are over-rated. Ive been commuting for 15 yrs, havent needed a helmet yet.

I know that nowadays there is so much concern with "health and safety" that it is ridiculous but helmets on bikes/motorcycles (like seatbelts in cars) seem like no brainers to me, it could easily be the difference between life and death or just getting hurt vs being a vegetable for the rest of your life. Then again I do wish that they would give people a choice and not make it mandatory, the cops don't need another excuse to ticket.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #18 of 68
I just got back from a great ride today. 29 miles of riding in the mountains, did a couple 1000 ft of climbing. Love the Grados, especially with the new I-Grado cable. I certainly love the freedom of riding and listening to some motivational music (Rob Zombie, Alien Ant Farm, Hinder, Boston, Megadeath) gotta love it! anyway any other great headphones to use while Bike Riding? Im sure there are other headfiers out there who enjoy taking their headphones out on the road.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #19 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I believe in most states it is illegal for someone who is deaf to drive.

Peter, it was a rhetorical question. Of course they are allowed to drive. They are not allowed to drive commercial passenger vans and buses.

I always ride with a helmet, I also ride with music, but never in traffic. I do use my bud type phones ins the woods/mountains, but on the road they're out or if it's a rural road the traffic facing bud is out. Not that it really matters because the wind noise is louder than the music that being played.

The point I was making is that if someone wants to ride their bike, motorcycle, car, whatever they should be allowed to make decisions for themselves. The reason you give for wearing a helmet when you ride a bike is the same reason people give for NOT wearing one on a motorcycle. If they wreck they'd rather be dead than mutilated and a vegetable because their head is the only thing that is protected.

If you want to wear a helmet good for you. If not that is your choice, but it is the choice that makes us human.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #20 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by jernmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter, it was a rhetorical question. Of course they are allowed to drive. They are not allowed to drive commercial passenger vans and buses.

I always ride with a helmet, I also ride with music, but never in traffic. I do use my bud type phones ins the woods/mountains, but on the road they're out or if it's a rural road the traffic facing bud is out. Not that it really matters because the wind noise is louder than the music that being played.

The point I was making is that if someone wants to ride their bike, motorcycle, car, whatever they should be allowed to make decisions for themselves. The reason you give for wearing a helmet when you ride a bike is the same reason people give for NOT wearing one on a motorcycle. If they wreck they'd rather be dead than mutilated and a vegetable because their head is the only thing that is protected.

If you want to wear a helmet good for you. If not that is your choice, but it is the choice that makes us human.

What do you mean "Of course, they are allowed to drive?" That's ridiculous! My understanding is that in most states in the U.S., deaf people are not allowed legally to drive any type of vehicle.

Who said that their head should be the only thing protected? The logic "people" use for not wearing a helmet is ludicrous. The last sentence of the second paragraph is nonsensical in it's erroneous logic.

For the good of everyone, laws are made and enforced. While the thought of "I have the right to do whatever I want" is a nice fantasy, in the vast scheme of things, it just doesn't work.

There is a reason why in most states wearing a helmet is a legal requirement. And, to me, it makes complete sense.

By your logic, people would decide for themselves whether or not they wanted to stop for red lights (some do and when caught they deserve the punishement of a fine). And, that is only one example of this illogical way of thinking.

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #21 of 68
Quote:

What do you mean "Of course, they are allowed to drive?" That's ridiculous! My understanding is that in most states in the U.S., deaf people are not allowed legally to drive any type of vehicle.

It is an Americans with Disabilities ACT Federal statute. I suppose you could use Google as easy as me, but here you go:

COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE DEAF OR HARD OF HEARING: ADA GUIDE FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS

Deaf driver? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Quote:

For the good of everyone, laws are made and enforced.

You sure have no problem trusting a business, or government dictating your freedoms huh? You never question why these new laws are always made? Lobbyists are around for a reason. I'll give you an example. In my state, the seat belt law was promised never to be a primary offense when it was enacted. Now whenever they want they can pull you over and state that the reason they did so was because they "thought" you weren't wearing your seat belt. This was not supposed to be allowed because it opens the door for profiling and illegal search and seizure violations. Also it is a big fat money grab. There are constantly "enforcement zones" looking for a seat belt violation. There are many laws that are made to make money for someone.

Quote:

By your logic, people would decide for themselves whether or not they wanted to stop for red lights (some do and when caught they deserve the punishement of a fine). And, that is only one example of this illogical way of thinking.

Really? You really got that from my statements above? My point is that if you want to endanger YOURSELF feel free. Running a red light endangers others. There is no need to create laws and government oversight to protect ourselves from ourselves. We need the laws and government to protect ourselves from others.

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #22 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by jernmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is an Americans with Disabilities ACT Federal statute. I suppose you could use Google as easy as me, but here you go:

COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE DEAF OR HARD OF HEARING: ADA GUIDE FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS

Deaf driver? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

You sure have no problem trusting a business, or government dictating your freedoms huh? You never question why these new laws are always made? Lobbyists are around for a reason. I'll give you an example. In my state, the seat belt law was promised never to be a primary offense when it was enacted. Now whenever they want they can pull you over and state that the reason they did so was because they "thought" you weren't wearing your seat belt. This was not supposed to be allowed because it opens the door for profiling and illegal search and seizure violations. Also it is a big fat money grab. There are constantly "enforcement zones" looking for a seat belt violation. There are many laws that are made to make money for someone.

Really? You really got that from my statements above? My point is that if you want to endanger YOURSELF feel free. Running a red light endangers others. There is no need to create laws and government oversight to protect ourselves from ourselves. We need the laws and government to protect ourselves from others.

I did a little checking (including the use of the links you provided) and it seems as though you are correct that in some states it is legal for a deaf person to drive and I stand corrected. This is a fairly recent change in the laws. The last time that I took a driver's test and studied for it (several years ago), I can assure you that it was definitely illegal for a deaf person to drive. I've had licenses in three states over the years.
Supposedly, for a deaf person, the other senses beside hearing are more aware to compensate for the lack of hearing. I for one would be extremely wary of depending on this supposed awareness thinking of the possibility of a sudden crash that could have been avoided by hearing a horn or squealing brakes in a "split second" situation. Thinking of the different dangerous possibilities, I find myself still against the idea of deaf people driving. To me, this is simply a matter of common sense. I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm all for the idea of "disabled" people having equal access and rights under the law but common sense dictates that there are certain exceptions, IMO, that must be made for the safety of everyone.
If it is true that the other senses become more keenly aware when one of the senses is not operational, why don't we just go ahead and let sightless people drive too?

If not wearing a helmet were simply a matter of endangering oneself, I might agree with you. However, that isn't the case. It is very easy for me to imagine situations where a biker wearing a helmet could prevent an exaggeration of an accident and further injury to himself as well as others as compared to a situation where a biker was not wearing a helmet.

There is no doubt, it isn't a perfect system. There are also such things as "speed traps" in small towns that are set up for the mercenary reasons you mentioned in writing about your state's misuse of the seat belt law. This doesn't surprise me, but, there is a reason, for people to wear seat belts when it comes to the protection of themselves as well as others.

And, btw, I would have a problem with "dictated" laws if the laws didn't make sense to me. Actually, now that I know that deaf people are allowed to drive in some states, I do have a problem with that law because of the reasons I mentioned previously in this post.

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #23 of 68
I bike to school, to gf and to work every day and I always use klipsch X10's. In fact thats why I bought em, I needed something simple to put on with good sound.
I drive, on my bike, 100+ km's each week and X10's are VERY noise cancellating. And really it's perfect for me, my eyes are all I need to navigate. Impending danger sounds are VERY loud anyway, car horns, sirens, meteors, alien attacks, is all loud enough that i can hear it anyway.
I'm not sure what the big deal is with using headphones while biking, do people often save your life by yelling "watch out for that car!!", sounds like a cliché. In what traffic situation exactly is unimpeded sound so important, I haven't found one in 20 years of biking, but somehow you car commuters seem to know whats best for us
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway I've used alot of different stuff cuz most of my music listening with headphones happens while I'm on my bike so that was always the most central requirement when shopping for headphones.

Full size cans are the worst, they are so much hassle to put away, to cover if its raining, and where do u put them when you dont have them if you dont have a bag. And they dont cancel traffic and wind noise very well.

Earbuds are okay because theyre super convenient and easy to use under a beanie or a helmet if needed, but ofc the sound is awful as they struggle to make themselves heard over the traffic and wind.

Before I used X10's I had ER-4s which were, more difficult to put on and had really bad microphonics. It's very important that they are easy to put in your ears because they ARE gonna fall out many times while you bike as your ears get wet and cold, or maybe you need to answer a phone call or whatever.
X10's seems to strike the best compromise for my bicycling music listening needs.

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #24 of 68
I do listen to music if I'm out on my own, I just use my cheapo closed canalphones (CX300) in my left ear so I can hear traffic coming around me on the right.
The only time I'd stick them in both ears is at a TT. I also wouldn't sacrifice my safety for better sound quality. I hope you never crash.

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #25 of 68
I used very successfully the Klipsch X10 IEM's with the single flange (you still hear something from outside if the volume isnt to high). I wore them also while riding in my vespa with no problem in relation to the helmet, they are possibly the most comfortable IEM's Ive tried. Now I use Customs, but thats another game....

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #26 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used very successfully the Klipsch X10 IEM's with the single flange (you still hear something from outside if the volume isnt to high). I wore them also while riding in my vespa with no problem in relation to the helmet, they are possibly the most comfortable IEM's Ive tried. Now I use Customs, but thats another game....

How are customs to bike with? Whats better and whats worse about them compared to X10?

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #27 of 68
Excellent, at last a thread that I feel fully qualified to comment on!

I have been cycling for ten years in London - firstly into the City, and lately a bit out of London on roads that are heavily used by large trucks and vans on my daily commute. I have always listened to music whilst riding - initially with a PCDP, and latterly with a host of DAPs. My problem with nearly all headphones and earphones was wind noise, which made listening to music quite a poor experience. After lots of experiments, etc, I discovered the Shure E500s, pretty much when they came out - their superior sound and isolation were exactly what I was looking for, search over! I use nothing else now for cycling.

The isolation of my E500s (now SE530s after several warranty claims!) does not affect my safety on the roads in any noticeable way. I have never come close to an accident because of wearing them. In fact, the only accidents I have had have been when pedestrians step into the road in front of me without looking, because they couldn't hear any cars and assumed it was clear! (NB: none of those accidents were with pedestrians listening to music - guess why! Yes, with their impaired hearing, people with headphones always look first!) As long as I keep close to the kerb when I'm on my bike, I could have the greatest hearing in the world but it wouldn't stop a car or truck crashing into me; and if I need to veer out to avoid something, then I always look behind me first, to check I'm clear to do so. Anyway, this all works for me because I cycle very defensively, and with hyper-awareness of my surroundings by relying on my eyesight. I have also seen cyclists who seem to believe that they are the most hallowed of all road users, and that motorists must always be aware of their presence and safeguard their safety at all times.

Unfortunately, laws that force cyclists to wear helmets, not listen with headphones, etc, all have to cater for the lowest common denominators in society, those who are too stupid or lack the common sense to take responsibility for themselves. Err... rant over...

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #28 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only accidents I have had have been when pedestrians step into the road in front of me without looking, because they couldn't hear any cars and assumed it was clear! (NB: none of those accidents were with pedestrians listening to music - guess why! Yes, with their impaired hearing, people with headphones always look first!)

I think Philski's experience proves the point that you can't trust your ears in traffic. You should always look around and stay alert. Also never make any assumptions about anyone's intentions.

Someone mentioned wearing only one bud in their ear while riding. That can't really be good for your 3d hearing can it?

I ride every day and always have my iGrados on. Especially quarter-modded and back foam removed they are so open that I can hear most of the traffic also. iGrados are good for keeping your ears warm and are without any wind noice. You could probably even be able to use some helmet models with them because the headband goes around the back of your head. When it's really cold I can pull a beanie partially over them which makes me look stupid but I dont really care
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back