Best Headphone under $200?
Nov 18, 2012 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

jonskma

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new to this forum but have been reading reviews on this website. 
Currently, I have a sennheiser HD439 and would like to upgrade to a better headphone with a buget of $200
I would like to know what's u guy's opinions on the best over-ear headphone under $200
I don't have a headphone amp and I like listening to classical and occasionally hiphop, I would prefer a balanced sound over a bass-heavy headphone and would like to have good sound staging.
Thanks a lot 

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 73
sorry for not clarifying, but I would buy an amp if the amp and the headphone combined is under $200, thanks.
I have been looking into the ATH m50, DT 770 pro ,grado sr225i and sennheiser hd558.
Think it would be a good investment? or do you guys have better suggestions? 
Don't really care about it being open or closed since i'm using them at home, I also heard fiio e11 were a good investment.
thanks

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 73
M50 and DT770 are bass heavy with slightly recessed mids, grado and sennheiser are open back, for your needs Soundmagic HP100, $200 and don't need an amp (save up for one in the future as they do improve with an amp)

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 73
Yo thanks so much for the reply. 
But I have some questions regarding that headphone. 
I have never heard of soundmagic ( maybe that's cuz I'm a noob at audio equipment ) and I couldn't really find reviews about it.
Also, If it is made in china, I would be afraid that it's build quality is bad, if that is incorrect, please correct me.
I live in Hong Kong so I don't know if I would be able to get it off of amazon without paying so much shipping fee
And one more thing, what kind of headphone would you recommend I look for? closed with some sound stage? or open ? what about the bass? 
Thanks so much

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 73
I am new to audio and I am using a Sennheiser hd439. 
Thank you for the link :D
and do you know where I can buy one without paying a lot of shipping fee? I don't seem to see them in Hong Kong. 
Thanks very much

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 73
@ randomkid, 
Do you think it would be worth it for me to save up an extra $50 for the soundMAGIC HP200? 
btw, I read your reviews, they were very informative! Thanks! 

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 73
If you're living in HK, there are plenty of local stores u can go visit and audition the cans yourself, i'd say that be much more informative than any online reviews~  There are plenty of headphone shops around Mong Kok and Kowloon~ other online chinese resources may include 亦軒[size=11.818181991577148px]耳機俱樂部[/size]( http://www.mingo-hmw.com/forum)and 耳機大家壇 (www.erji.net)~

In your list of options ( ATH m50, DT 770 pro ,grado sr225i and sennheiser hd558), i would say the grado sr225 is the best all rounder, great mids and performs well without an amp. if u listen mostly to classical music, many would prefer the sennheiser sound signature, HD598 or HD600 would be great choices. The HD600 is a great pair of cans for classical music and improves vastly with amplification, it is however, a little above your budget. But if you're staying for the long haul, investing in a pair of HD600s for classical music would definitely make sense. 

I personally would favor the Ultrasone Hfi-780 for your price range. Ultrasones are known to be on the bright side and clear on the details. The Hfi780s are more balanced than the Hfi580. The Ultrasone Hfi 2400 may be another great choice.

If I were you and have some free time on the weekends or whenever, I would just head down to 亦軒 to check out the headphones myself, they have a great number of cans on display and are pretty helpful with questions. Just remember to bring your own music (whether a portable player or a CD) and have a set price range (don't waver and don't listen to expensive cans as they definitely improve with price range)

good luck~

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 73
In my opinion the HP200 is superior, better detail and more neutral. Contact Soundmagic directly for places to buy them.
An amp does help but is not necessary, the build quality is really good, on par if not better than many company's, they also have a detachable cable which helps with durability.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 73
hey guys would the DT 880 pro be a good choice for me? I can save up for a while to raise my buget if it is worth saving up for.
I like how it's build quality and comfort have pleased many people, but I dunno bout the sound signature

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 73
I think the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro is probably the best headphone that is consistently found below $200. They need an amp to perform as they should, they seem to particularly like tubes.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 73
I would go with AHD2000 closed & HD600 open, used prices.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 73
I think the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro is probably the best headphone that is consistently found below $200. They need an amp to perform as they should, they seem to particularly like tubes.

+1 
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 73

Users who are viewing this thread

Back