Best headphone for gaming with Poll! ~Vote!
Jan 15, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #77 of 89

Right now probably either HD595s, DT880s, or something to that effect. So in other words, the Mixamp basically functions as a DAC/Amp on its own, albeit a somewhat weak one?
Quote:
Mixamp headphone jack > 3.5mm > Amp line-in. That's it. I just wish the Mixamp, or future versions of it will have a line out.

What headphones in particular are you looking to drive?

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #78 of 89
Mixamp can handle those, just get the 32 ohm if you go with the DT 880. Technically you can drive the 600 ohms at the expense of voice chat by turning the voice knob all the way to game. This may be a less than ideal solution, but then again so is using the headphone jack out to an external amplifier. I wouldn't buy an amp if you don't already have one for the purpose of gaming, but if you have one or plan to buy one for music it can be used with the Mixamp.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #79 of 89
It won't be used solely for gaming, so I was thinking of getting a regular amp/DAC for normal use. Unless a sound card would work better, but right now I'm just confused as all heck as far as DAC/Amp/Soundcards.

Quote:
Mixamp can handle those, just get the 32 ohm if you go with the DT 880. Technically you can drive the 600 ohms at the expense of voice chat by turning the voice knob all the way to game. This may be a less than ideal solution, but then again so is using the headphone jack out to an external amplifier. I wouldn't buy an amp if you don't already have one for the purpose of gaming, but if you have one or plan to buy one for music it can be used with the Mixamp.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #80 of 89
I'm going to have to play around some more with my cans. I've been gaming with some hfi-2200 and have been getting pretty decent results but I've only been using them with yamaha's virtual surround dsp. I've never seriously sat down and analyzed them. I also have a pair of MP Sextetts that I've never gamed with but will give them a shot once I get home in a few days. I'm also planning on replacing my yamaha receiver with a harman so I'll finally be able to try dolby headphone in gaming. So far I've tried sony's and yamaha's virtual surround DSPs and I got better results with the yamaha.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #81 of 89

Quote:
I got it from a company online called "Best-Tronics". The part # was "MIC14-XX". Cable was $25 plus $5 shipping. Not bad. Right now I'm pretty impressed with it for only costing $25. Sounds like they're similar to Monoprice and sells budget cables.

I got it here:
http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC14-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

I hope it's ok to post that. I don't work or have any connection to them!

The connector I got is actually better than the one in the picture, but a bit larger/heavier, but still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's a "Starquad" cable I found online for around $36. Totally worth it but i'll do more comparisons. I'm now definitely a believer of cable upgrades, but I will would never pay over $100 for one.

Where did you get that cable? :p

In what aspects it is affecting the sound? A-B comparision that you wanna share?

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #82 of 89

In what aspects it is affecting the sound? A-B comparision that you wanna share?

Thanks!

I'd like to think it's my imagination, but it's definitely not. I haven't done more than an hour of comparisons, but the cable is such a noticeable improvement that I don't have any interest in using the old cable anymore. I still think the differences are not very subtle. Not huge differences, but enough for almost anyone here to tell the difference. Like maybe a 5-10% difference, but it's hard to say. Good enough to justify a $30 purchase! I liked the differences so much last night that I ended up listening to my K702 for nearly 5 hours!

The first thing I noticed was how much more detail there was. Not a lot, but the detail it had seemed to be a tad easier to hear and very slightly more forward sounding (I think that'd be impossible, but that's what my ears heard!). Still not like using the K601 and ATH-AD2000, but now more acceptable for gaming. Previously it felt like for gaming all the detail and vocals were a bit distant and this kind of ruined the experience for me. I have no clue how on earth a cable could change this. I still don't prefer the K702 over the ATH-AD2000 but the K702 is now perfectly acceptable for gaming. That little extra bit of detail helps a lot. I should do a footsteps test between the two. For that the difference is probably very, very subtle or not even noticeable at all.

The sound seems slightly more clear. It feels as if there is slightly more bass, but that's probably just my imagination there, but I'd have to do more testing.

Basically it's very, very difficult to put into words the differences between the cables. Again, not a super huge difference, but definitely very noticeable. I'm going to do more comparisons for myself tonight. It's really not worth it for me since the cable is so cheap and I like all the improvements. Feels like my headphone got a slight upgrade for very little money.

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #83 of 89
Well I've decided to try and sell my m50 while the prices are high on them and use that money to finance a mixamp.  Then after I start my new job next week I will start saving for the k70x's to give them a shot.  

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #84 of 89
Sounds like a good plan to me. I usually don't game with a mic anyway, it's a pain to listen to all of the teenagers babble.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #85 of 89
a lot of votes for the DT880, personally i think they're pretty terrible.... at least competitively.... but if you decide on getting them, I'll sell you mine... or my F1... or my k702.... i picked up the PC360 headset from sennheiser, and while it's not the absolute best, it's convenient and has the mic built in... i love it.

my vote went for the F1, K702 comes close, but to properly drive it, you're probably above $400 budget.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #86 of 89
Yeah, but MLE suggests they're properly driven when the dial is turned all the way to game and no microphone is used. When you add the microphone however, they become useless.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #88 of 89
Gotta say, never has a game sounded so real as Battlefield 3 with LCD-2, it was just like real life :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back