Best headphone amplifiers to go with headphones?
Sep 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

100+ Head-Fier

Hi

Fellow-HeadFiers 

For many years I have listened to music through my Sony headphones but after listening to a pair of Beyer headphones I found that while my Sony headphones were very good the Beyer's were better still, as naturally technology has moved on since those days then after listening to them on a friends dedicated headphone amp I decided I needed a proper amp as the headphone out on my Onkyo AV Receiver  wouldn't drive them loud enough...

I am looking for a solid state amp, I don't mind if some recommends a used amp but only if the product quality must be Mint or Close.

What i am looking for:

Quote:
For example, during Joan Osborne’s aching cover of “I’ll Be Around”, I noticed at one point while typing the sentence above that I wasn’t typing anymore. I got lost in her voice. I mean totally lost. This doesn’t happen to me nearly as often as I wish it did. But the Phoenix was able to deliver goose-bump thrills on a more than just occasional basis.

Please suggest in what your best amps are for these headphones: 

Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO 250 Ohms

Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohms

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 32 Ohms

AKG K701 62 ohms

Sennheiser HD600 300 Ohms

My list so far is as follows:

Monitor II Headphone Amplifier

Maverick Audio - Tube Magic A1 Hybrid Intergrated Amplifier 

Matrix m-stage Headphone Amp

Audio-Gd Fun version B 

FireStone Audio Cute 

Graham Slee Novo

CREEK OBH21 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

Little Dot MK  III

Music genera's:

RnB

Hip Hop

Jazz

Drum and Bass

Also, if you know of more amps not on my list I should look into, and links or reviews, feel free to post them.

Just a few thoughts...

Thank you

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 3
I'll just say the Maverick Audio A1 amp isn't solid-state. The headphone output is pure tube driven (plenty of volume and great sound). The part that is solid-state (er, hybrid) is the speaker outputs, they're pre-amped with the tubes and then powered by a solid-state chip. I really like the A1 amp with my DT770's, it really makes them shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back