Best gaming controller
Apr 11, 2023 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Since there is a thread on mouse, why not a thread on the controller?

I started using hall effect analog stick controllers, and notice the difference in precision. I recommend them.

Gulikit Kingkong 2 or 2 pro, or the new 8bitdo Bluetooth controller uses Gulikit's hall effect analog sticks.

Apr 22, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 46
I use the PS4 pad and it's great for me but i've been tempted to buy an Xbox one because of the short battery of the Ps4 pad.
like the design and feel of dual shock. Unfortunately, I've had a horrible experience with their analog stick and customer service. My controller was drifting so I've sent in for warranty replacement and they would send me a refurbished unit that drifts, and I've done this 3 times and then gave up. I think they rotate the drifting controllers and send it to you, which is the worst customer service and scammy practice.

This is why I wanted to go with hall effect sensors. No drift. Unforatunately, I've noticed that QC of Gulikit is pretty bad. I've experience sticking buttoms three times.

On the other hand, 8bitdo has no such issues, and I assume their QC is very good. I do like the analog stick of Gulikit better, but it's too bad. I can't stand sticking buttons. I play a lot of games that require a lot precision, so I need accurate controllers.

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 46
The Xbox Elite V2 is (IMO) the best feeling/handling controller available but my god is a giant piece of s***. I've replaced both sticks and a shoulder button. I had hoped they learned their lesson after the dumpster fire that was the Elite V1 but apparently not.

I really like the weight and solidness of it, combine that with the customizability (especially using reWASD) and I really do love it (when it works).

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 46
8BitDo Ultimate Bluetooth controller here for my Switch, I love it. I also have their Pro 2 controller and the Nintendo Pro. It's really too bad that Sony doesn't incorporate Hall Effect sticks into their controllers, that way I wouldn't have 4 PS4 and 2 PS5 controllers due to drift. Gulikit is supposedly making HE sticks for the Dual Sense Edge controller but that's a $250 controller...

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_20220304_153559_kindlephoto-593328545.jpg

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 46
Picked up a tomtoc Armor Case for my spare PS5 controller, awesome hard shell case and you can still charge the controller through it.
IMG_20230427_151533.jpg

IMG_20230427_151739_kindlephoto-127193916.jpg

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 46
Picked up a tomtoc Armor Case for my spare PS5 controller, awesome hard shell case and you can still charge the controller through it.
IMG_20230427_151533.jpg

IMG_20230427_151739_kindlephoto-127193916.jpg
You got to protect it from drift. You don't want the analog stick to get bashed and it starts to drift.

8bitdo ultimate is very well built. It can take a lot of button hitting without the buttons getting stuck.

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 46
You got to protect it from drift. You don't want the analog stick to get bashed and it starts to drift.

8bitdo ultimate is very well built. It can take a lot of button hitting without the buttons getting stuck.
I picked up the Armor Case to keep dust off the controller and so I could take it with me to a buddies house without having to worry about throwing it in my EDC bag.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 46
I tend to find the MS Xbox controllers work well for my needs. I use the regular controllers. I haven't used or purchased an Elite controller because the price and I hear/read about the controllers haven't issues, like mentioned earlier. I do like the Xbox One Bluetooth controller a lot. I find it to be robust in that I can use on Xbox, Andriod or PC. I haven't tried it on a PlayStation or anything. The only knock on it is that you can only sync it with one device. The Xbox Series X|S controller can be sync'd with an Xbox and Bluetooth device, thus two devices. Both controllers have after market phone holders, but I think the Xbox One's have smaller versions that work well. In fact, the version I have I am to have clipped on and store on the controller in a hardshell case. I use recharged USB AA batteries in my controllers. The only thing with them, there really isn't much of warning when they lose power. They're cheaper than MS rechargeable battery packs.

I'm a little indifferent to PlayStation controllers. I do like the analog sticks are symmetrical. I can care less than the touchpad thing. They gyroscope could be cool, but it is rarely use in a game that is useful or cool. Plus, since the battery is internal, it'll eventually go bad. Sony does not make them user friendly to replace the battery.

20230429_023953.jpg

Apr 29, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 46
Plus, since the battery is internal, it'll eventually go bad. Sony does not make them user friendly to replace the battery.
The only controller I have that won't last a night of gaming is my original PS4 controller from 8 years ago. If I had the desire to pull out the soldering iron and replace the battery it wouldn't take to long or be that difficult.

The 8BitDo Ultimate doesn't have a replaceable battery either but I don't find that to be an issue. Since we are in the headphone game we all have a soldering station for building our own cables, right? 😉

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 46
The only controller I have that won't last a night of gaming is my original PS4 controller from 8 years ago. If I had the desire to pull out the soldering iron and replace the battery it wouldn't take to long or be that difficult.

The 8BitDo Ultimate doesn't have a replaceable battery either but I don't find that to be an issue. Since we are in the headphone game we all have a soldering station for building our own cables, right? 😉
Dude, that's the same controller I had issue with drift and Sony would keep sending me refurbished units with drift issues for warranty. And guess what, they would wrap the controller in bubble wrap when they send the refurbished ones. So it gets banged around in the box on the way. This is why I hate Sony now.

I heard at some point Sony put hall effect analog sticks on PS2 controllers. Dreamcast used hall effect.

Apr 29, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #12 of 46
To be honest, I think that the PS5 controller is extraordinarily good. At least on the PS5, it has some cool haptic feedback that adds another dimension to playing your game. On PC, it doesn't have that (or at least I haven't figured out a way to get it), but it still feels good in my hands. It reminds me a fair bit of how much I used to love the Xbox 360 controller.

I also love the Switch Pro controller. It's unfortunate because my left analog stick has started to get some drift, but mostly it's an amazing controller.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 46
To be honest, I think that the PS5 controller is extraordinarily good. At least on the PS5, it has some cool haptic feedback that adds another dimension to playing your game. On PC, it doesn't have that (or at least I haven't figured out a way to get it), but it still feels good in my hands. It reminds me a fair bit of how much I used to love the Xbox 360 controller.

I also love the Switch Pro controller. It's unfortunate because my left analog stick has started to get some drift, but mostly it's an amazing controller.
My Switch Pro controller sits in it's case since the 8BitDo Ultimate arrived here, it's a better controller that has back paddles and will even wake the Switch from sleep. The biggest problem with my Nintendo Pro was the D Pad, it was horrible.

Check out the 8BitDo Ultimate Bluetooth if you want one with sticks that will never drift.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #14 of 46
My Switch Pro controller sits in it's case since the 8BitDo Ultimate arrived here, it's a better controller that has back paddles and will even wake the Switch from sleep. The biggest problem with my Nintendo Pro was the D Pad, it was horrible.

Check out the 8BitDo Ultimate Bluetooth if you want one with sticks that will never drift.
The D-pad definitely has a lot to be desired. The 8BitDo Ultimate BT looks super interesting, thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out if my Pro controller ever completely craps out.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 46
My PS5 was 4 months old when the controller started drifting, sent it in for replacement and picked up a spare. The new replacement PS5 controller they sent me has no drift (yet), but touchpad on it gets wonky after an hour or so and doesn't register movement properly. No problem for 99% of the games out there but Outriders decided to use it in the inventory screen along with the left stick for cursor movement...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back