Best Full size amp for AKG K240's
Jul 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MUSICGURU1

New Head-Fier
I just swiched from Alessandro MS1's to a pair of AKG K240's hooked into my Hifiman 601 slim, and am very happy with the sound. The only problem is the volume control on the 601 slim, I want to have a dedicated volume control that I can use from say a desktop amp unit. I was thinking of going with either the Schiit Asgard or a Topping TP30-32 unit. The K240's are 55 ohm cans and I don't want to blow out my eardrums or anything like that just clean sound and a dedicated volume control. Does anyone out there have any advise on this issue. Please help me spend my hard earned dollar wisely. It will also help to get the GAF (Girlfriend Approval Factor).
I listen to all kinds of music, Classic rock, Jazz, Classical, New Age, Country, Metal, etc.
L3000.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 3
I used the K240 Studio and Asgard combo for awhile, and I liked it. The bass of the K240 Studio seemed to tighten up a little bit, and overall, the sound filled out ever so slightly. No major changes in sound when compared to my iPod, in my opinion. But they were picky, when I plugged them into my receivers, they got a little too muddy for me. Also, even though the K240 Studio is 55 ohms, the sensitivity rating is 91db/mW. So while they are low impedance, they do like a bit of power. When I used my Asgard with them, I'd usually sit somewhere at like 10 to 10:30 on the knob, if I remember correctly. Anyway, these are just some of my experiences.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for your input, Brown Bear, I will take this into advisement. You were using the Asgard from Schiit audio and that is just the one I am currently after, but if the sound isn't all that different from straight out of the player I may save the $$ and put it towards somthing else, say a new Oppo Blu-ray player. Time will tell what I do, I am very happy with the K240's and have ordered a custom recable for them and should get it by the end of the week. This whole headphone thing is very addictive, I already have 5 sets of cans, Sennheiser wireless, AKG 240's, Alessandro MS1's, Shure se535's, and a set of Woodees earbuds. But by far I like the AKG's the most next to the Shure's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back