Best earphones for under £20 i can find/buy easily?
Feb 20, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-.IEM = In Ear Monitor - usually this type of earphone has the best isolation from others because they sit deep in your ear tunnel. This phone will sealed outside noise alot and truly depend on the fit to sound great. (Shure IEM, Etymotics, UE, etc)
-.Canal phones = less isolation, but you will hardly hear people talking when using this with the music playing at normal level. This also needs a good fit to sound good, but not as hard as IEM. (JBL 220, Denon C700, CX300, Creative EP630, etc)
-.Earbuds = typical earphones which you normally if you buy MP3 player. They don't isolate much and so far only Yuin PK 1 - 3, recognized to be the best in earbud.

As for where to buy in UK i don't have any idea because i live in USA xD.

Hope that help :p

with IEM and canal phones - is there really a difference in actual built? OR is to more so pure branding. I think IEMs A R E canal phones, just the top ones in terms of SQ and price tag, right?

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #17 of 19
For reference, check out what musicians are wearing in their ears onstage -- IEMs. Theoretically, the IEMs can help save working musicians' hearing, and they certainly free up onstage clutter. They are replacements for the banks of onstage monitors, usually at floor level at the front of the stage, "aimed back" at the band so they can hear themselves play. IEMs tend to have more sophisticated technology, greater isolation, greater detail, etc., hence the higher cost compared with canal phones and ear buds.

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #18 of 19
I know what monitors are LOL. I was saying that IEMs ARE actually canal phones. They are based on the same concept of sound isolation. IEMs are creme de la creme of the canal phones but it is m a r k e t i n g term to elevate the most expensive canal phones. (I am not saying they are bad, not at all!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEMs tend to have more sophisticated technology, greater isolation, greater detail, etc., hence the higher cost compared with canal phones and ear buds.

Unless you live in Belarus or Myanmar price depends on market demand not on cost. 4x more expensive headphones might not cost 4x to manufacture or be 4x better.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back