best DIY amplifier?
Sep 28, 2010 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

TuLesto

Changed names to jazzDESIGNED.
I'm just wondering... is the beta22 the best DIY head amp one can build or are there better? This question does not exclude DIY tube amps in any way.

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 33
B22 vs Zen Head... man when you put it like that it sure is going to be hard to make a decision...

LOL

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 33

Quote:
And that's something I can build? I thought it was a pre-built amp. Just shows how little I know.

I thought it was a kit amp, but I'm not sure really; it seems to be somewhat of a mystery 
redface.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 33
Well, the dude said he didn't know about other DIY head amps... I guess is should make it clear that my main aim here is to find other DIY amps that are as good or perhaps better than the Beta22. I do though think it was worth noting.. for road-worthy sake.  

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 33
To answer your question, if DIY defines the availability of a kit or a BOM to go from, then the B22 usually classified as "the King".   For tubes, one can "clone"  a Zana Deaux or Woo Audio, build it themselves and claim it as "the King" of tube amps.   Ask Beefy, FallenAngel, Maher(nate), or MixterX for a true DIY perspective. 

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 33
Of the three Amps I have made (listed in my signature), my favorite, by far, is the Hagerman Castanet. However, the gain is relatively low, and is barely sufficient for high impedance headphones or the HE-5LE orthodynamic.

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 33
The Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire is a commercial amp and will come pre-built by Alex Cavalli himslf.

As for the best DIY amp I have personally heard that is available to DIY folk to build would be the Cavalli Audio EHHA /EHHA Rev A for me.
Not going to include the stacker here, also am very very curious to hear the Aikido 24V headamp.

Different amps for different headphones of course. My suggestesions on the EHHA are based off of Sennheisers and Orthos like the LCD-2.

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 33
I don't believe there are schematics available to clone Eddie Current and Woo designs.

However, there are a number of terrific designs in the public domain found at HeadWize and other places.

I like my upcoming project, the Ciuffoli SESS (http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=ciuff4_prj.htm) with 417A tubes interests me.  Very simple design, good Lundahl iron, and a nice power supply.  I think I'll mod it slightly to put DC on the filaments.

Quote:
For tubes, one can "clone"  a Zana Deaux or Woo Audio, build it themselves and claim it as "the King" of tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back