Best DAP to pair with Shure e4c or se530?
Feb 3, 2008 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

straden

100+ Head-Fier
I ordered cowon d2 4g red yesterday, but was wondering if it pairs with my IEM well or not.

I'm basically looking for high quality sound source without using any amp.
Just player and shure e4c or se530 or westone um2

I was interested in cowon d2, ipod touch, new nano. Any suggestions?

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 9
Do consider the Sony NWZ-A/Sxxx series and the Sansa Clip.

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by straden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered cowon d2 4g red yesterday, but was wondering if it pairs with my IEM well or not.

I'm basically looking for high quality sound source without using any amp.
Just player and shure e4c or se530 or westone um2

I was interested in cowon d2, ipod touch, new nano. Any suggestions?

I have the D2 and it sounds awesome with my Shure E500's....

I also have the Sony 616 and it doesn't sound as good as the D2 with the Shures.

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 9
I have the red D2 and it sounds great through my E4Cs. With my other (over-the-ear) headphones I prefer an equilizer setting that's pretty flat. However, with the E4Cs I crank the Mach3bass way up, to between 5 and 10, and I add some bass on the equilizer bands.

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks guys, I currently have 3 years old e4c but was considering if I should upgrade to se530 or um2 since mine is dying now.

my first upgrade from stock bud to sony 51ex was great and then to e4c was just crazy difference, would I get same difference from e4c to se530? just like i had when switching from sony 51 to e4c?

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Depends on what you might be looking for.

The SE530 has extremely heavy amounts of bass response in comparison to the E4, at its treble regions are not as prominent as the E4.

If you're looking for a smoother sound, the SE530 might fit your bill.

The UM2 IME, is more forward sounding as compared to the E4, and somewhat more musical as well, with a larger bottom end.

The UM2 has more in common with the SE530 than the E4, but the SE530 is more refined overall, but has less lower treble energy in comparison to the UM2.

However, since IEMs are finicky, remember that your mileage might vary.

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

However, since IEMs are finicky, remember that your mileage might vary.

True 'nuff, which is why I consider custom EQ capability a mandatory feature in a DAP. If you're in the market I'd strongly suggest that you look for that feature.

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do consider the Sony NWZ-A/Sxxx series and the Sansa Clip.

I own the Sony NWZ-A815 and a pair of e500's, which is the same as the se530's from what I have been told.

The sound quality is top notch IMO. Is it way better then my iPod 5G and iPhone. I have not heard a D2 so I can not comment on this DAP.

Also, the custom EQ on the Sony is a nice bonus that does not add noise to a song like an iPod does.

Time will tell if the Sony keeps up with the Headsix & iPhone combo once it arrives. To be honest, I hope it doesn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back