Best DAP for the gym?
Oct 30, 2013 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Krisman

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I am on the look out for a DAP for the gym. Would appreciate peoples experiences/views :)

My restrictions are:
- NO Apple products (I have way too many FLAC files that I am not transcoding)
- Must have a MicroSD slot
- Must be small and reasonably light
- Must support gapless playback
- Sounds good :)

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 13
A Shuffle, with this: http://www.amazon.com/X-1-Audio-INT4-BK-X-Waterproof-Headphone/dp/B00AIGZ72C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383133922&sr=8-1&keywords=h20+audio

I use it when I workout, just wear a head sweat type hat, it attaches to the back, and you don't have headphone cables getting in your way. Everyone responds with "I don't swim" and while I did get it for that originally, you can wear it in all workouts, and your shuffle is safe from your sweat, too. I love that thing, best workout companion. 

If I didn't already have a Garmin watch, I would give this a strong look: http://shop.iriverinc.com/index.php/iriveron-207/iriveron.html/

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 13
Oct 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 13
  +1. Best option available.

I own it, and it's my second best option. And I don't presume to know that I have the best available. Just the best that I know of. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 13

I own it, and it's my second best option. And I don't presume to know that I have the best available. Just the best that I know of. 
wink_face.gif

The OP specified non-Apple and a microSD slot, so that invalidates your Shuffle.
tongue.gif

(I'm not hating on the Shuffle, I had and liked one before)
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 13
There's only one true man on this planet to get the OPs job done, one man, one hope. The measure of measurements, the smallest of small, combined with the power of Rockbox the mighty dragon slayer lives on....The Sansa Clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhW1Kyxpfw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 13
lol guys! Loving the recommendations and it seems to be pretty damn obvious!

Found a Sansa Clip Zip on eBay for 19 UK pounds (about 25 dollars or so). I feel a purchase coming on!!!!! Better get my gym card ready for action :)

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 13
Well there's a touch of sarcasm involved from my behalf if we're going to pick over the clip and put it to the test in a SQ technical shoot out, but its hard to beat for on go or gym use. I just find it very user friendly for outdoor use.

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 13
  Hi everyone!

I am on the look out for a DAP for the gym. Would appreciate peoples experiences/views :)

My restrictions are:
- NO Apple products (I have way too many FLAC files that I am not transcoding)
- Must have a MicroSD slot
- Must be small and reasonably light
- Must support gapless playback
- Sounds good :)

Thanks!

I would get a Sansa Clip Zip and install Rockbox on it.  I love mine.  Goes everywhere with me.  Sound quality is very good too for as small as it is.  iPods work but they don't have expandable memory and they cost a lot more.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back