Jul 14, 2013 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HeadLover

1000+ Head-Fier
I have created a list
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC_Async.htm#AuralicVega
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac2-hgc
http://www.exasound.com/e20DAC/Overview.aspx
http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/904731

But, if you have any other that I haven't put here - love to know :)

Anyway, what do you think from the list or not, is the BEST DAC today with DSD for up to 3500$ ??
I want audiophile level, something truly amazing that can do DSD and hi res files from the USB.

Jul 14, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 13
nvm

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 13
I've got the Auralic Vega and IMO it is a fantastic audiophile level DAC.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I've got the Auralic Vega and IMO it is a fantastic audiophile level DAC.

I heard the Vega at my friends place and I agree DAC sounded spectacular! especially with DSD materials.

One thing though, Auralic Vega will run closer to $4000 after s/h & taxes.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 13
reviewer at computer audiophile claimed that Auralic Vega is quite possibly the best DAC He heard at that price.   

"I'm not sure what other writers have called the Auralic Vega but I call it arguably the best DAC under $3,500. The Vega's stellar sonic character enabled me to listen to an over four hour playlist from start to finish without interruption. "

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #9 of 13
I have the W4S DAC-2 DSDse. It does DSD over USB. After about 200 hours, it has settled into one great sounding DAC! Not sure how it could get any better than this.

Streaming native DSD to it from the W4S music server. It truly transports me, and has a special synergy with my WA5.  YEMV.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 13
If I had that kind of money to spend on a DAC I'd probably be looking at the Auralic Vega and Metrum Hex.

Since I haven't heard either I'd want to make sure they are a few notches above my minimalist Ciunas and other less expensive DACs such as the Matrix X-Sabre and Yulong DA8.

Trying to achieve that last iota of performance can be costly and the money could "possibly" be spent elsewhere to greater advantage.

"Possibly" that is unless you subscribe to the source first philosophy.

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I have the W4S DAC-2 DSDse. It does DSD over USB. After about 200 hours, it has settled into one great sounding DAC! Not sure how it could get any better than this.

Streaming native DSD to it from the W4S music server. It truly transports me, and has a special synergy with my WA5.  YEMV.

Hello,

Congrats on your NEW DAC2, i am also planning to purchase one but also i am waiting for anybody who has heard or had the chance to compare this W4S DAC2 dsd se with the Auralic Vega?

Have you heard the VEGA? i really like Clint as a possible seller as he  is a great person and has an incredible service, and want to be sure that if i stay with W4S will worth against going in the VEGA direction

Best Regards

Miguel

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 13
I did a lot or reading on the Vega, but never heard it. I would like to try it and see if I like it over the W4S. I bought the W4S based on the sound from my DAC1 and the
great customer service from Clint. Also the synergy between the music server and the DAC2se over USB is very good. And I do love what I am hearing in my system
at the moment!

Tried to get some purchase info on the Vega but they have only one distributor listed for the USA. So, that made me shy away from it. I know what kind of
service I get from W4S. If I ever have an issue with the Vega not sure how that would play out seeing how I sent two emails to them about purchasing one
and never heard back.

Still would like to get a chance to hear one in my system. Always ready to try something different if the opportunity presents itself.

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 13
in fact, i have the Vega. it's really good and changes my negtive view to auralic, for the reason that i had an unhappy experience with Taurus amp before. i compared it with my weiss dac2 and northstar extremo, then sold dac2. during my using with vega, i find etremo has softer treble, but vega has more details and better enjoyble operation. expecially when i play the DSD, i'm almost going to sell my extremo. so i'm happy to hear that northstar has the new production supermo. the only disadvantage of Vega i feel is its bass might be a little less powerful, altough better than dac2 and extremo. maybe i gradually become a bass lover? lol.....so i'm looking for a more powerful American style dac.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back