Best DAC For Price? Electrocompaniet, Musical Fidelity, Or?
May 31, 2003 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings fellow Head-Fi'ers

Until someone finally, hopefully, one day comes out with a great universal player, I've decided on a strategy to weather the storm until then.
I'm looking for a high quality DAC, with great sound, for $1500.00 or less (either new or used would be fine to meet the budget). I've listened to the Bel Canto DAC2, and a few others. I've read the rave reviews, particularily in Stereophile, on the Musical Fidelity A324. I'm also very interested, based upon what I have heard and read about the Electrocompaniet ECD-1. There have been significant reviews of both that and the associated EMC-1 cd player claiming that redbook cd's sound as good as SACD's through the DAC.However, I have one concern with the Electrocompaniet though. Everything I've seen states that you really must use the balanced connections for optimum sound with that unit and since I will be using this DAC with a dedicated headphones system, there are no balanced headphone amplifiers available, making this impossible.
I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on what DAC would provide me the best possible sound in this price range.
Thanks very much for any opinions, advice, suggestions, or assistance you can provide, as always.

May 31, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 24
If you can stretch your budget you should check out the Audio Aero Prima DA/Converter 24/192. They go for around 4500.00 new, but I've seen them as low as 2K on audiogon.

May 31, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 24
May 31, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 24
The MSB Nelson Link III DAC and Monarchy Audio DIP 96/24 has impressed me. You can run a balanced cable between this DIP and DAC, and thus get some of the benefits of that data transfer technology. If you shop around, and depending on the choice of cables, this combo can be had for under $1500. The only other DAC I auditioned was the Musical Fidelity, which I didn't like as well. One feature which tipped me toward the MSB was the upsampling on/off switch, but all I've ever used it for is to show others what the upsampling does. So far I prefer every recording with the upsampling on, which wasn't true with the Musical Fidelity.

May 31, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 24
Nightfall, there are two MSB Goldlinks W/ upsampling and the PS1000 power source on audiogon. One is An upgraded goldlink II with the PS1000 and U.S. for 790.00. The other is the goldlinkIII w/PS1000 and U.S. for 1050.00.

Jun 1, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
Nightfall, there are two MSB Goldlinks W/ upsampling and the PS1000 power source on audiogon. One is An upgraded goldlink II with the PS1000 and U.S. for 790.00. The other is the goldlinkIII w/PS1000 and U.S. for 1050.00.

Thanks, very much, Tom,

But I will wait for other things, and the opinions of the Head-Fi brotherhood.

JC

Jun 1, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
.However, I have one concern with the Electrocompaniet though. Everything I've seen states that you really must use the balanced connections for optimum sound with that unit and since I will be using this DAC with a dedicated headphones system, there are no balanced headphone amplifiers available, making this impossible.

The Headroom Blockhead is a balanced headphone amplifier, although you need a special cable for the HD-600 or RS-1, which are the only headphones you can use with it.

The EAR HP4 accepts a true balanced signal from a source. The headphone jacks themselves are single-ended with a common ground, and can be used with any dynamic headphone.

IIRC the Grace 901 accepts a balanced input, and is less expensive than the other two. Again, the headphone jacks themselves are single-ended with a common ground, and can accept any dynamic headphone.

There may be other balanced headphone amps out there.

EDIT: IIRC the higher end Stax amps accept balanced input also.

Jun 1, 2003 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 24
Nightfall...

...my vote goes to the Bel Canto DAC2. While I must admit that I don't know other DACs in your price range, I'm just that happy with its sound. I'm also considering a universal player for the not so far future, and one of them is the Bel Canto PLayer (although actually above a reasonable price limit...) just because it uses the DAC2 technology for redbook playback, and that's all I need from CDs...

peacesign.gif

Jun 1, 2003 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 24
Nightfall:

I can't recommend the Link Gold DAC III highly enough. I'm very pleased with mine, and I know that Jude was very pleased with the one that he reviewed.

BTW - there IS an amp with balanced inputs....the Blockhead.
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 24
I'll put my vote in for the Bel Canto DAC2. Like Jazz, I have no experience with the other DACs mentioned, but am a prior owner of all versions of Bel Canto's product (DAC1, 1.1, and now 2).

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 24
You can always look at some of the older
High end dacs.
Classe dac1 comes to mind.Mark levinson
36 Or 36s. Sonic frontieirs SFdmkII.
Theta Va. Believe me they hold there own
against the latest and greatest. and can be had for a great price.

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
The Headroom Blockhead is a balanced headphone amplifier, although you need a special cable for the HD-600 or RS-1, which are the only headphones you can use with it.
The EAR HP4 accepts a true balanced signal from a source. The headphone jacks themselves are single-ended with a common ground, and can be used with any dynamic headphone.
IIRC the Grace 901 accepts a balanced input, and is less expensive than the other two. Again, the headphone jacks themselves are single-ended with a common ground, and can accept any dynamic headphone.

There may be other balanced headphone amps out there.
EDIT: IIRC the higher end Stax amps accept balanced input also.

Good points Hirsch. I should have more accurately stated that there arent many head amps that allow balanced operation. And, unfortunately, I cant afford the Blockhead, and none of the others are on the short list of amps I am considering, thus my dilemma concerning the Electrocompaniet DAC.
Thanks for the clarification.

JC

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
You can always look at some of the older
High end dacs.
Classe dac1 comes to mind.Mark levinson
36 Or 36s. Sonic frontieirs SFdmkII.
Theta Va. Believe me they hold there own
against the latest and greatest. and can be had for a great price.

Good recommendations, BB. The Levinson 36S was originally amongst those I was considering excepting that they are selling for an average of about $2500.00 on Audiogon etc.

JC

Jun 1, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 24
Don't forget to consider Wadia...I've occasionally seen them popping up used on Audiogon.
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2003 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 24
Look at the Classe Dac1 they are under a 1000.00. I sold a ml36 dac for 1100.00 not the s version. I was using a Sony Xa 7es player before the 36 and the ml36 was in a differant league. That led me to buy the ml360s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back