Best cymbal reproduction from a full-size headphone?
Mar 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ikarios

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks,
After bringing a whole bunch of new headphones into my stable and doing a lot of experimenting I realized the only thing that really grinds my gears is cymbals that don't sound right. There have been a lot of headphones I've heard that have sounded awesome, but didn't reproduce treble or cymbals properly and that point was the only reason I sold them.

So, in your opinion, what headphones have you heard that reproduce cymbals and treble just perfectly? I'll refrain from posting any of what I think about cymbals so I can get a feel for what most people like. Special mention goes to headphones under $500, so if your preferred set is above $500 (i.e. LCD2, HD800) please note another one that is under that price range.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 15
If a headphone sounds awesome why would it not reproduce cymbals properly? Does it only sound awesome up to a certain frequency and then sound un-awesome? I think you need to be a lot more specific, especially about these headphones that just can't reproduce cymbals no matter how hard they try.

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
So, in your opinion, what headphones have you heard that reproduce cymbals and treble just perfectly? I'll refrain from posting any of what I think about cymbals so I can get a feel for what most people like. Special mention goes to headphones under $500, so if your preferred set is above $500 (i.e. LCD2, HD800) please note another one that is under that price range.

Are you a drummer or have at least played in a rock band where your face has been next to cymbals while they were being smashed? 
wink_face.gif
 Here are some ideas:

• Beyer DT880
  • Grado RS-1 ($500 used)
  • I'll throw you a curveball here too. STAX SR-407 - a little bit over $500 though but requires a dedicated 'stats amp. 

Quote:
I see you preempted the LCD-2 response to your query. They do percussion so well it's scary.

LCD-2s have an uncanny clarity to them. They produce metal percussion very cleanly, but oversimplify how they sound. Half of the top octave is rolled off on the LCD-2, so cymbals, high-hats, and other metal percussion lack that "air" - not to even mention the texture and complexity of how these things actually sound like in real-life.

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 15
Cymbals need a quick and agile driver to render the correct precision of the cymbal strikes.  In my collection, the reigning champion goes to the LCD2, the D7000 for good precision - but skewed tonality towards the "shimmer" according to my HRTF.

For $70, the Fostex T50 has remarkable cymbal definition, on par with the D7000 but to my ears slightly muted but of a more correct tonality.

Depending on HRTF of treble responses, T1/HD800/D7000/LCD2/T50 all had good definition to the cymbals when I heard them.  Cymbals on the T1 sounded the least integrated to the rest of the spectrum to me.

Also of note, kick drums, snare drums and cymbal crashes are dynamically compressed on virtually all recordings.  I played the drums in many concerts, and that's how my opinion rolls.

Under 500 dollar champion, in my collection between HD650 and K701, goes to the Fostex T50...by miles.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also of note, kick drums, snare drums and cymbal crashes are dynamically compressed on virtually all recordings.  I played the drums in many concerts, and that's how my opinion rolls.

LOL, if they weren't compressed, a lot more of us would probably have hearing damage. 
smile.gif
  I made sure I always had earplugs handy if I was going to be anywhere near a drummer, especially those hard rock or metal types.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 15
@pp312: Yes, there are headphones that sound very very nice but don't do the cymbals properly. Case in point: K501 (at least the version I have)
Above $500: K1000, definitely.
Below: I don't know, my Stax 303 do it but only in my particular setup. Judging by the comments on it and the 507, the Stax SR-407 recommended by purrin might not be as fuzzy about matching upstream components, though.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #11 of 15
Beyerdynamic T50, especially hi-hats, they lack in kick-drum sound though

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #13 of 15
Can't fault Grado's with percussion imo. My Denon's on the other hand sound horribly fake.

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #14 of 15
I third the damped T50RPs. They are really great. Percussion sounds very real with them. They also have really nice imaging, helping the drums to sound even more real. The music can just dance all around and inside your head.

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
"what headphones have you heard that reproduce cymbals and treble just perfectly?"

That question begs not to be answered. I used to play percussion and drums and my faith in Hifi died every time I tapped the bell of my ride cymbal when I passed the drums. The sound even at this modest level could not be reproduced by any sound equipment. I'm talking about projection, dynamics and tonal spectrum.

Still, I really enjoy listening to music in my headphones - good for us our ears are easily fooled. Many headphones turn those shimmering metal overtones to a squashed, compressed and ill-defined grey fog. A lot of that happens at the recording stage already (inappropriate mikes, inappropriately placed), and is made worse along the way by compression and other effects. As a matter of fact, I challenge you head-fiers to recommend recordings with a good drum/cymbal sound!

If you're not happy with the cymbal reproduction of that headphone armada of yours, the chances that you'll find the truth in yet another model are slim. Only once or twice have I eperienced almost tangible cymbal sounds over headphones, with the DT48. My modified DT480 comes close too.

Is it a coincidence that these models have stiff metal diaphragms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back