Best customs for under $350
Feb 1, 2009 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ethan961

Member of the Trade: Bugden Audio
Hello all,
I am looking for some IEMs. I am close to ordering the Phonak PFEs but just had the urge to try some customs. Only thing is, you can't just try customs and sell them if you don't like them, so I am asking here for opinions. I would prefer something with a similar sound to the phonaks, fairly balanced with good highs/mids and good quality but not overwhelming bass, and at or under $200.
Thanks,
Ethan

EDIT: Budget expanded to $350.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 23
At under $200, I doubt there's much at all, let alone anything that can come close to the Phonaks.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 23
nothing under 200. But you can try custom tips. If you get custom tips, I'm sure you can use them for similar barrel sized universal iems like the shure line and the er4p/4s I'm not sure if the phonaks have a similar barrel size. Custom tips are approx 120. the only other option are the freq's and live wires but those are above your price range aswell

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 23
I can extend my price range, it will just be a little longer before I can buy them. I looked at livewires, and the costs after duties are just too much. Thee is also a lot of stuff going on around the freqs, so I'm not sure.
Maybe the audeos are the best option.

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 23
Price range extended to $350, hopefully there is something here.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 23
The thing about customs is that you have to be sure about the sound signature because you can't sell them if you don't like them. The cost of the impressions is not recoverable, and there is the hassle factor and wait time. I've had multiple impressions for 2 pairs of customs, so I have some experience in this regard.

No matter how much you spend on customs, they will not have the soundstage of full-sized headphones, and if you check the threads for various custom IEMs, there are complaints about fit and performance of customs as well.

I would say that if you have no problems with fit and isolation with universal IEMs, then the advantage of customs is not that huge, especially if you find a IEM with a sound signature and performance you like. If you have a universal you don't like, you can sell it. If you love that sound, you can add custom tips later.

Otherwise, think of customs as just another portable solution with unique audio characteristics. They don't automagically sound better by virtue of being customs, nor does everybody find them comfortable. If the impressions aren't done correctly, you will certainly be dissatisfied with the IEM. There may be some tweaking and new ear impressions involved.

That being said, if your budget is around $350, I have experience with Livewires. The LW is a quality IEM, and performs better than many universal IEMs I've tried at around the same price. There is crystal-clear detail, a slightly analytical midrange and great bass extension and detail.

If you're looking for a warm liquid midrange, or a subwoofer-like bass, the LW is not it. If you're looking for something analytical the scales nicely with your portable components and reveals subtle details, it is hard to beat the LW at that price.

If you're not in a hurry, check with Ultimate Ears or Livewires and see if you can audition one of their 'universal' customs - basically it's their custom IEM with a nozzle that will fit a foam or silicon tip. It will give you an idea of what that particular custom sounds like. CanJam 09 is probably a good place to check this out.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #11 of 23
I'm currently in the process of getting the Sleek Customs (sent back for refitting). I'd highly recommend you get a pair of Sleek SA6s to test prior to getting the Sleek Customs if you choose to get those. I was very satisfied and absolutely loved my SA6s, so I jumped the gun for their Customs.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 23
Hearyourself.com/Alien ears Prices range form 115 - 365 . Most full custom shop choices in this price range. Most color choices, Free shipping, Free impression kit, Fixed or Detachable cable versions, custom artwork. My personal choice ( C-3's) no tips tp buy.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 23
Thanks for the opinions everyone.
I really appreciate my midrange, so I guess the livewires aren't an option. Sleek customs were ones I thought of, but as you say I wanted to hear the SA6 first.
However, I think I might just go for the phonaks afterall, since they are said to have comfort ranking up with the x10.
I might spend the extra on some good cans.
But yeah, thanks for the help.
Ethan

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the opinions everyone.
I really appreciate my midrange, so I guess the livewires aren't an option. Sleek customs were ones I thought of, but as you say I wanted to hear the SA6 first.
However, I think I might just go for the phonaks afterall, since they are said to have comfort ranking up with the x10.
I might spend the extra on some good cans.
But yeah, thanks for the help.
Ethan

I was quiet please with the comfort and sound signature w/ the Sleek SA6s. I decided to go with the Customs. One thing I can tell you is that they can do some adjustments to get the Signature to your liking. It is exactly at the top of your price range. Michael from Sound Earphones told me he thought it was the best value for the dollar in Customs on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back