Best Coax Digital Out card
Apr 8, 2006 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

JiggaD369

500+ Head-Fier
I'm in need for a soundcard with a COAX DIGITAL OUT, not optical. What do you guys recommend? Seems like M-Audio 5.1 is the way to go but anything cheaper? It has to have bit-perfect and the usual goodies. Thanks for any help you guys provide.

Apr 8, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 27
Apr 8, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 27
I just used the Coax-Out on my 0404 for the first time today to test out my new Dialogue II. I can't compare it to anything else, but I can say the 0404 has a Coax-Output
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 27
There is no such thing as best coax output sound card. Just choose whatever works for you. Being inside the computer, the quality is affected by your other components (psu, mobo, etc.) so comparisions are not easy. Even in my computer, one PCI slot is different from the other. Cheap soundcards won't have the best parts or implementation, no dedicated clocks, etc. RCA jacks aren't 75ohm compatible. You will get sound in any case and the difference between the better outputs is sutble unless you have a way better system.

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 27
From what i hear even the OS can give you changes.

So how drastic can these components in the PC really affect quality of recordings?I just might try a different pci slot then to see what i get.

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 27
I dont' believe the OS can make changes to the sound, well not directly. One thing that may affect things is the way the CPU, disks, devices are used and that's what the different OS may affect. Why is this? Probably because when the load gets higher, the PSU may fluctuate slightly.

Gabe, I think you mean the quality of the reproduction not recording. The recording is always the same quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 27
Apr 8, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Gabe, I think you mean the quality of the reproduction not recording. The recording is always the same quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

Bad wording on my part.That's what i meant to say
redface.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 27
Thanks for the input guys but looks like $500 card is out of my range lol. I just need something that is sub $50 like a M-Audio Rev. Just need to feed a bit-perfect signal to the DAC. I'm not looking for something fancy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I dont' believe the OS can make changes to the sound, well not directly. One thing that may affect things is the way the CPU, disks, devices are used and that's what the different OS may affect. Why is this? Probably because when the load gets higher, the PSU may fluctuate slightly.

smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Ian, when you say PSU, are you reffering to the PSU of the computer and/or the Card?

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 27
I think he was referring to the psu of the computer not the card, unless you're going external the soundcard will run off one of the molex power cables from your computer's power supply.

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 27
By PSU I mean the one in the computer.

For all intents and purposes the cheap cards are basically the same quality wise in digital out. Just get one that's bit perfect.

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 27
I was just thinking of getting a M-Audio Rev 5.1 and use the Coax S/PDIF out of the card to feed my external DAC which only accepts coax. Something close to a cheap transport like AV-710. I know cards with Envy chips put out a good bit-perfect signal and I only know of AV710 and M-Audio cards which carry them.

This will be my system...
Computer > Soundcard w/ DIG out > Arcam Delta Black Box DAC > M3 > K701

BTW, I thought computer's PSU only effects the sound if ANALOG is used, not DIGITAL?

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #13 of 27
Damn this place! I now have it in my head that maybe i can get more improved sound since i got a 300 watt PSU that is powering a cd-rw,2 hdd's and 3 fans with all pci slots filled.

Where do i sign up for "Team Debt"?
plainface.gif

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Where do i sign up for "Team Debt"?
plainface.gif

You did when you created your Head-Fi account
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back