Best Closed Headphones! Advice please! (~$200)
Apr 10, 2011 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jaeno

New Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fi Community,
I am looking to buy new headphones because it's about time i let my poor suffering ears get a taste of beautiful audio.
[I've been stuck with lousy WeSC Alp Horns... which I bought a while back for the fashion statement of it.]
Hopefully you guys can help me out!

Here are the criteria for my purchase:
1. Closed headphones!
2. Not too big; I hope to be able to walk around with them
3. Price at around $200. My true max limit is $300, so if there's something stellar in that range, please do recommend it!
4. Preferably headphones that sound good even without an amp. (i plan to get a small portable amp)
5. Good amount of bass; I'm not a basshead, however, I do enjoy my bass a bit strong
6. Durable!
7. Aesthetically pleasing!

So those are my basic criteria. I've been looking at Audiotechnica ATH-A900's and they fit the bill well but couldn't fit my criteria #2... :frowning2:. I also liked the Grado sr225is but they were open back and I was incredibly dismayed.

Head-Fi community! I turn to you for your input! Thank you in advance!
Please help me save my ears from audio misery~!

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 16
Look into Ultrasone, the HFI models (580 - 780) are all under $300 and are fantastic, easy to drive, closed cans.
An amp will always bring more to any headphone, but these are truly stellar without amplification.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for your input, obzilla!

I was wondering if you or anyone else could tell me about the Audio Technica M50s. They seem to be very popular on this forum.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 16
Yup, they're pretty popular, I've never heard them, but they have a great reputation as well (I should stop by moog audio this week to try them out
smily_headphones1.gif
)... surely someone who has, or has had, them will be along to comment.

You really have a ton of options and if you go with something recommended here, it's highly unlikely that you'll be disappointed.

What do you mainly listen to?

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for your input, obzilla!

I was wondering if you or anyone else could tell me about the Audio Technica M50s. They seem to be very popular on this forum.

The m50s have nice bass and treble with a slightly recessed midrange

For your price I suggest the sennheiser hd 25-1 ii

they are pretty compact and fit most of your criteria

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Yup, they're pretty popular, I've never heard them, but they have a great reputation as well (I should stop by moog audio this week to try them out
smily_headphones1.gif
)... surely someone who has, or has had, them will be along to comment.

You really have a ton of options and if you go with something recommended here, it's highly unlikely that you'll be disappointed.

What do you mainly listen to?

I listen to a wide variety of things:
- acoustic, piano, rock, dubstep, electro, pop, r&b, a cappella... lols
i don't have a particular genre I stick by? I do enjoy a bit of bass in everything I listen to though!

Quote:
The m50s have nice bass and treble with a slightly recessed midrange

For your price I suggest the sennheiser hd 25-1 ii

they are pretty compact and fit most of your criteria

Thanks MrBapti;
I was looking into these headphones;
How are they on the comfort field?
And are they over ear or on ear? [from what i've seen, they were on-ear if i was not mistaken].
I prefer over ear ^^;

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 16
Shure SRH840 are great, but quite large and heavy. It was my "portable" phone for quite a while. Audio-Technica WS70 is great too, while the SRH840 is slightly better soundwise with its better soundstaging, but the WS70 is far lighter and have no fit issues for me. They also fit over ear for me despite its small size. I can recommend CAL!/D1001 too, but the bass is far too heavy for my liking and doesn't really isolate (still had it for over 1 year though. :p)

Also, for portable closed phones, you might get more/better responses over to the portable section.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Shure SRH840 are great, but quite large and heavy. It was my "portable" phone for quite a while. Audio-Technica WS70 is great too, while the SRH840 is slightly better soundwise with its better soundstaging, but the WS70 is far lighter and have no fit issues for me. They also fit over ear for me despite its small size. I can recommend CAL!/D1001 too, but the bass is far too heavy for my liking and doesn't really isolate (still had it for over 1 year though. :p)

Also, for portable closed phones, you might get more/better responses over to the portable section.

Thanks for your input!
I won't lie, those AudioTechnica WS70's look mighty fine ahaha xD
Is there a distinct difference in sound between the shure and the audio-technica? Are the colors warmer in one or is one heavier in bass than the other? 

I posted in this section because I was looking for something that was the size like Dr. Dre Beats. I admit that I was initially going to get Beats until this forum disillusioned me in its sound quality. lols
I may end up posting a similar thread in the portable headphones section later on! :)

Thanks once again for your input!

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 16
Comparing WS70 to SRH840, which I can only do it by memory where I have sold my SRH840 quite some time ago. But to me the SRH840 have a higher amount of bass but it not overwhelming. The WS70 have quite a bit of bass like the SRH840, but the presentation is different. WS70 sounds very AT like with fast response and hard hitting impact with a sweet mid-range. SRH840 is slightly warmer, but not much. Its mainly differences in presentation.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for your input! 
If you know, does an amplifier make a big difference for those headphones?

I use the CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) with an Asus Xonar DX and Muse 6922EH tube headphone amp. ($70 from China), the CALs are almost as good as my DT 770 Pro 80-Ohm, I've been listening to Katy Perry E.T. to compare them. I would normaly use the DT 770s, the CALs are something I would use for any traveling, I can't find my portable mp3 player, so I can't compare them with it.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 16
the usual suspects: Creative Aurvana Live!, Koss pro dj100, HFI-580, ATH-m50, perhaps even the beyer t50p, as I've seen some used t50ps for sale sometime at around $200-250 which probably be the ultimate in portability and looks...
however, the first headphone i thought of when i read your criteria were the fischer audio fa-003. under 200, top notch sound unamped, very very light, and looks pretty darn good in my opinion

Apr 10, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Comparing WS70 to SRH840, which I can only do it by memory where I have sold my SRH840 quite some time ago. But to me the SRH840 have a higher amount of bass but it not overwhelming. The WS70 have quite a bit of bass like the SRH840, but the presentation is different. WS70 sounds very AT like with fast response and hard hitting impact with a sweet mid-range. SRH840 is slightly warmer, but not much. Its mainly differences in presentation.

Thank you so much!
I may prefer the sound of SRH840 more than that of WS70 from what you've described; I'd have to read into those models more on this forum to get a better idea. Its probably even better if i can get my hands on them from on of my audophile friends or at a music store and test them out myself. 

Quote:
I use the CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) with an Asus Xonar DX and Muse 6922EH tube headphone amp. ($70 from China), the CALs are almost as good as my DT 770 Pro 80-Ohm, I've been listening to Katy Perry E.T. to compare them. I would normaly use the DT 770s, the CALs are something I would use for any traveling, I can't find my portable mp3 player, so I can't compare them with it.

Hmm, are the CALs sturdy & can they handle some rough handling? :)
I dont mean to harp on it again but does anyone know how they compare to the Audio-Technica mt50s? they're in the similar range of prices, so yeah.
Thanks for your response!
After selecting a headphone I will have to go ahead and find myself a good amplifier. xD 

Quote:
the usual suspects: Creative Aurvana Live!, Koss pro dj100, HFI-580, ATH-m50, perhaps even the beyer t50p, as I've seen some used t50ps for sale sometime at around $200-250 which probably be the ultimate in portability and looks...
however, the first headphone i thought of when i read your criteria were the fischer audio fa-003. under 200, top notch sound unamped, very very light, and looks pretty darn good in my opinion

fischer audio fa-003. Those look pretty splendid, although from what I've seen in google images, they look a tad bit too big; how are they in portability? :)
How's the beyer t50p in sound quality?
The Koss pro dj100 looks really nice as well! Does anyone know how they sound? :)
thanks for your input rymd!

Apr 10, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
I listen to a wide variety of things:
- acoustic, piano, rock, dubstep, electro, pop, r&b, a cappella... lols
i don't have a particular genre I stick by? I do enjoy a bit of bass in everything I listen to though!

Thanks MrBapti;
I was looking into these headphones;
How are they on the comfort field?
And are they over ear or on ear? [from what i've seen, they were on-ear if i was not mistaken].
I prefer over ear ^^;

They are over ear ^^

Their comfort level is ok, for me I can wear them for 2-3 hours in a cool room

The main issue is that your ears can get sweaty if your in a hot enviroment or after long usage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back