Best Closed Back Over-Ear Headphones
Jan 31, 2011 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

chuckapup

New Head-Fier
I am pretty much brand new to this site. But I'm figuring things out. I'm looking for some semi-cheap headphones. Closed-Back.
 I have a Toshiba SR-F100 Turntable that is mostly what I listen too. Otherwise I use an Ipod for on-the-go.
I like music bands like Pink Floyd and Alan Parson's Project.
I'm looking for some headphones under $200 that are best suited for this type of music. I have Sony MDR-XB500's but the bass is way too high for my liking. I also have Beats Tour by Dr.Dre. Which are okay but they are In-ear.
Anything will help. Thanks.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 12
I own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770s, the 32 ohm version from 2005. They go for $193 on B&H and are well worth the money, in my opinion.

Beyerdynamic is famous for producing headphones that have a very "full" sound to them...and I absolutely agree. The bass is definitely present, but never overpowers the mids, highs, or vocals. They do have a slight "U" shape in terms of the sound signature, which makes them a very lively headphone, if that is what you're looking for. The bass is a lot cleaner and more refined than in the Beats line as well.

I know there seems to be a lot of hype on Head-Fi, especially among "newbie" audiophiles-in-the-making, about the Audio Technica M50, but I would urge you to avoid them. I have never personally experienced their sound, however several friends have, and in switching from the M50 to my Beyers, the usual response has been that the Beyers are a (M50++++++++++). The M50s seem to have very bloated bass and shrill highs (judging by frequency response graphs - which I understand are not always the best source - and by reviews of others who have heard them). The trend I have observed is that while people seem to like them at first, once they move on to bigger and better headphones, they begin to dislike the M50s more and more.

Another consideration other than the DT770 is the Shure SRH 840. These headphones are going to have a flatter response than the Beyers, making them a little less lively and overall more neutral sounding. The ONLY gripe I have heard about these headphones is that they feel like bricks on your head after about 4 hours of listening...fairly heavy compared to other cans.

Both of these headphones are easily drivable out of an iPod and are closed back. The DT770s come with velour pads, which makes up for a slightly tight clamping force on your head, and are very comfortable. One feature the 840s have that the DT770s lack (disappointingly) is a removable cord, which is handy to prevent damage due to tugging and also allows for the exchange of coiled vs straight cable.

I hope that was somewhat helpful!

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 12
LOL, the OP asked about the best closed cans then states he has a budget of $200.

Ya gotta love the internets.

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 12
SRH-840 ~= D5000 ~= DT250-250 >>> DT770-80 imo.  And the latter two suffer a considerable loss of sound quality out an ipod.  None of these are very portable but personally I wouldn't use my home phones on the road.  You might want to consider open headphones for home use and iems for the ipod.  
biggrin.gif
  Oh yes, and people really like M-50 and HD25, closed and semi-portable headphones but I haven't heard them so can't say one way or another.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 12
I have heard that the 80 ohm version is the worst of the four versions available for the DT770...most sloppy, overpowering bass and so forth. I finally got to critically listen and test out the M50s today, and I must say, I stand by my previous comments. While the audio quality wasn't BAD for the price that the headphones are, the bass seemed very muddy and unrefined, which can result in a seemingly "overpowering" dynamic. I would still advise against them, especially if you have a budget of $200. You can get a lot more headphone than the M50 for that price.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
The srh840 sound great with most rock music from my experience. They aren't the most comfortable headphones though, at least to me.

Yeah, the ONLY bad thing I have heard about the Shures is that they are like bricks on your head.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
The srh840 sound great with most rock music from my experience. They aren't the most comfortable headphones though, at least to me.

Yeah, the ONLY bad thing I have heard about the Shures is that they are like bricks on your head.

My beef with them is that if I move my head a certain way they start to slide around and if I try to make them a little tighter so they stay in one place they get uncomfortable. The sound on them is great though.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My beef with them is that if I move my head a certain way they start to slide around and if I try to make them a little tighter so they stay in one place they get uncomfortable. The sound on them is great though.

Oh really? That's good to know. Do the ear cups not swivel to help with movement like that?

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 12
The ear cups swivel a little but they don't go flat or anything like that. The reason they slide around is because of how heavy they are. But everybody has a different experience with things. To some they are way comfortable and to others they aren't. It's one of those things were you would have to try them out for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back