Best classical recordings...ever!
Jul 14, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #8,251 of 9,368
I recently got the two "Under Stalin's Shadow" releases of the Boston Symphony Orchestra playing Shostakovich 5/8/9 and 10.  I was a big fan of these pieces already, but these recordings/performances really took things up a notch for me.  Highly recommended.

Jul 16, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #8,254 of 9,368

Decca released a CD about 6 months ago of Janine Jansen performing the Brahms and Bartok violin concertos.  I do not think you will find any mix or other issues on this recording.  I purchased it having had the opportunity to hear her perform the Brahms with the Vienna Symphony last October.  I can also recommend her version of the Four Seasons, which uses a much smaller ensemble than is frequently the case.

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #8,255 of 9,368

Decca released a CD about 6 months ago of Janine Jansen performing the Brahms and Bartok violin concertos.  I do not think you will find any mix or other issues on this recording.  I purchased it having had the opportunity to hear her perform the Brahms with the Vienna Symphony last October.  I can also recommend her version of the Four Seasons, which uses a much smaller ensemble than is frequently the case.

Thanks for the info. I do have her Four Seasons, which I enjoy, along with Nigel Kennedy's interpretation. The Brahms is a little tricky to get right, and I have been underwhelmed by many recordings to date. Perlman's version of the Brahms with the Chicago Symphony is something I do rate very highly. Hopefully this one will be just as good.

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #8,260 of 9,368
Listening to a great album in 24/192... The last Scottish Ensemble's Debussy-Takemitsu with unique arrangements is outstanding. I haven't listened to many Debussy quartet, and only very recently got into Takemitsu, but this is really fantastic to my ears. The dynamics and tonal purity across the spectrum make this album one to be heard even if you hate this particular music (which I would find hard to believe). I think many contemporary fusion-lovers will like this album for it's quick pace and exciting presentation. It is definitely not a minimalist, sit back and ignore, type of album. Very engaging.

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-debussy-takemitsu.aspx  

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #8,261 of 9,368
Can't remember if I've mentioned it, but if you want to hear a good ½ hour percussion trip-fest by Takemitsu, give "From me flows what you call time" a try. The Sony CD is great and so is this live performance by Berlin, if you want to see people bang on things.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #8,262 of 9,368
Karajan's 1963 Beethoven symphonies is probably among the best, they overengineered the **** out of it. It was said "Estimates at the time indicate a requirement to sell 100,000 LP Boxed Sets to recoup the costs."

Ended up selling over a million in the first 10 years. And here we are looking for these recordings still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back