Best classical recordings...ever!
Nov 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #721 of 9,368
I dont know what you guys think of her playing but this album sounds amazing. I am really enjoying it. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #722 of 9,368
  I like Bartok when it reflects the Hungarian folk element. I'm not so crazy about Boulez.

To my ears, this recording is definitely missing a heavy folk element.
Unfortunately to me this recording lacks anything else distinctive
to my ears to make up for it.

Not to say it's a bad recording but:

"Best classical recordings...ever!"

doesn't come to mind.
MY mind though.
I'm open to input on this recording,
I really WANT to love it.....

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #723 of 9,368
Perlman or (gasp!) the cello concerto with Janos Starker
Chung is OK. But I'm not a huge fan of Bartok's violin concertos. I have Menuhin with Furtwangler, but I haven't listened to it yet.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #724 of 9,368
Chung is OK. But I'm not a huge fan of Bartok's violin concertos. I have Menuhin with Furtwangler, but I haven't listened to it yet.

I'm assuming you meant the incomplete viola concerto played on cello.

"gasp' might be overreacting a bit....
 It took me  awhile to get the into violin concertos my self so there might be hope for you.

Seriously check out the Mengelberg premiere recording with Szekely.
For a modern take I've been listening to Ehnes with Noseda.
Off the bat I prefer it to the Shahan/Boulez but I haven't lived with them long enough to be sure yet.
Chung is ok but not really amazing to me.

The Mengelberg/ Szekely I felt intuitively right away.

Then again I really like modern/contemporary music.
"haven't listened to it yet" to me means
"it's not that important to me".

No offense, Bartok is not exactly in line with the stuff you've been advocating.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #725 of 9,368
I also remember(been awhile) enjoying this:

My favorite Bartok is his chamber music and string quartets in specific.
They were the pieces that got me interested in "classical" music.

That being said I've come around to the orchestra music some time ago.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #726 of 9,368

Before you said that you prefer the Hungarian folk element in Bartok's music.
IMO Furtwangler doesn't understand this at all.
I actually prefer Menuhin with Boulez years after the Furtwangler.

Also for my ears, Furtwangler is the ultimate conductor of German romantic music on record of his era.
 I hate to sound nationalistic and all but he was there and he gives it to us from there.
Very few conductor's ooze national identity like Furtwangler and Germany.
Similar in my mind to Bernstein/USA...

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #727 of 9,368

Before you said that you prefer the Hungarian folk element in Bartok's music.
IMO Furtwangler doesn't understand this at all.
I actually prefer Menuhin with Boulez years after the Furtwangler.

Also for my ears, Furtwangler is the ultimate conductor of German romantic music on record of his era.
 I hate to sound nationalistic and all but he was there and he gives it to us from there.
Very few conductor's ooze national identity like Furtwangler and Germany.
Similar in my mind to Bernstein/USA...

Sorry for the ADD....

Despite my preference I'm not really sure Boulez and Menuhin are clear on the Hungarian folk element either.
This despite the fact the Solo violin sonata was written for him.

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #728 of 9,368
Last weekend I found this gem at a garage sale:

The records were in amazing condition - they looked like they had never spinned before - 3 dollars later, they were mine.  Later that week I saw the same two operas on CD at a music store... each sold separately for $13.99.  Cha-ching.

I've only just finished listening to Cav... Picking up my jaw from the floor right now.  Herbert von and the Scala orchestra are a frantic match made by the devil, and I would rank the cast among my top five of all opera recordings I have ever heard.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #729 of 9,368
What do you guys think of this? I bought it in town today, i really like Kissin. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #732 of 9,368
  What do you guys think of this? I bought it in town today, i really like Kissin. 

Good performance, but the sound take ruins it for me.  The piano is buried in orchestral mud.

That was my opinion until a couple weeks ago, when I saw a YouTube of Gergiev conducting.  Now I can't blame the sound people so much.  It's a wonder how any orchestra can sound at all clear or articulate while looking at that guy's antics.  I'm a choral singer and I know how to follow a conductor.  I couldn't figure out how to follow him.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #733 of 9,368

I agree with you: for violin and orchestra, I much prefer the two Rhapsodies of his golden period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back