Best classical recordings...ever!
Mar 18, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #3,106 of 9,368
  Zappa wasn't happy with the musicianship of the early Mothers stuff. I loved it though for its ideas and energy. My brother was friends with a member of the best band you never knew, and he said that Zappa was very difficult, but in complete control of everything they did. It's a shame he died so young. He never had time to pass the torch.

Well said, Sir !

The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life was truly amazing - pity it did not last long. Here my post about it on head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/253245/what-are-you-listening-to-right-now-new-thread-new-rules-please-read-them/58815#post_11373457  post # 58819

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3,107 of 9,368
Thanks Analogsurvivor and Perhahpss for the Zappacation!!! Just getting into him, any and all recomendations welcomed!!!

On another note, listening to Walter's '58 Mahler 2, and ordered Klemperer's Mahler Cycle, any recommendations on cycles or 2nd recordings welcomed.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #3,108 of 9,368
Thanks Analogsurvivor and Perhahpss for the Zappacation!!! Just getting into him, any and all recomendations welcomed!!!

On another note, listening to Walter's '58 Mahler 2, and ordered Klemperer's Mahler Cycle, any recommendations on cycles or 2nd recordings welcomed.

You welcome !

Zappa is too great a subject for recommendations - and you can not be "urged" into it all. The pieces presented in this thread are his last period - with the exception of Gregerry Peccary, which dates mid 70s. He was going ever more "classical" in his late works - but the list of people who influenced his music printed on his 1st album, Freak Out, reads as Who is Who in Music - he knew their music even in 1968. It makes one wonder how far he would have arrived given more time on this Earth.

Mahler cycle - Vaclav Neumann http://www.supraphon.com/en/catalogue/on-line-database/detail/?idtitulu=2008670

2nd for me is the second (studio) recording of Stokowski http://www.ebay.de/itm/Stokowski-Mahler-Symphony-No-2-DMM-RCA-2xVinyl-LP-/381172202475?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item58bfa23beb

- but then again, I have some 10 different versions.

Here the 1st rescording of Mahler 2nd by Stokovsky:

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #3,110 of 9,368
Overall, I prefer Kubelik's balanced rendition. If you're in a wilder mood, Tennstedt.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #3,112 of 9,368
Thanks Gents, I will seek your recomendations out on Tidal for a listen!!!!

Interesting reading Mahler's comments on Klemperer, pretty solid endorsement!

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #3,113 of 9,368

For those of you not looking another greatest hits romantic era something or other 
very_evil_smiley.gif
:

An actual, authentic American Composer!
He`s even dead so he`s got the legitimacy thing going as well
wink_face.gif

WARNING: This post is for the adventurous only.
If you care about rugged 20th century American music (in the spirit of Ives or Varese) you may be familiar with this but otherwise it won`t hurt to "get a little bit on ya"!

I guarantee you won`t get the strange "aftertaste" of Simon Rattle`s messianic/beatifically affected smile either.....

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #3,114 of 9,368
Incidentally I love Mahler among other "Romantics".

Simon Rattle used to be good too but since he tried turning (due mostly to image problems he was having in Berlin) German, I`ve been constantly disappointed with his work.

In addition I have  theory! It`s an "all too human " theory but I`ll throw it out there:
Being half German and having experienced Germans and their culture ( especially musically but communicatively generally I`ve noticed facial expressions play a HUGE part in the way the German folks convey emotions. I`ve especially noticed this in pub sing-alongs and conducting: German conductors I've seen in concert don`t use facial expression lightly.

Take one look at Rattle`s face in MANY pictures and imprint that upon a good many recordings he`s done in Berlin and let me know what you think!

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #3,115 of 9,368

For those of you not looking another greatest hits romantic era something or other 
very_evil_smiley.gif
:

An actual, authentic American Composer!
He`s even dead so he`s got the legitimacy thing going as well
wink_face.gif

WARNING: This post is for the adventurous only.
If you care about rugged 20th century American music (in the spirit of Ives or Varese) you may be familiar with this but otherwise it won`t hurt to "get a little bit on ya"!

I guarantee you won`t get the strange "aftertaste" of Simon Rattle`s messianic/beatifically affected smile either.....

There was a piece by Ruggles during an almost exclusive Varese programme of Slowind Festival in 2009. Time to get acquainted with other music by Ruggles !

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #3,120 of 9,368
  Simon Rattle used to be good too but since he tried turning (due mostly to image problems he was having in Berlin) German, I`ve been constantly disappointed with his work.

I think he's always been overrated. But he has great hair. A lot of classical music reviewers are British, so they tend to champion the conductors they see on a regular basis. I guess it's only natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back