Best Classical for audiophile new to the genre?
Dec 1, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #16 of 48
Weird, the posts got swapped around.

Anyway, ha ha
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 48
Holst's The Planets by Montreal Symphony conducted by Charles Dutiot is another one worth checking out. Originally released on the Decca label.

Dec 2, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #18 of 48
(Too bad Dutoit and Montreal had a falling out. They made so many great recordings!)

Ballet: Many people do erroneously believe that ballet is somehow effeminate, or "gay". This is our stupid, chauvinistic American ignorance showing. Ballet music is among the most entertaining, enjoyable, and even exciting musical forms available. You don't have to think deeply about it -- just enjoy the magic. If you like solid orchestral music, there are several ballets that no music lover should be without. Here are some of my favorites, all in glorious, rich sound:

1) Tchaikovsky Sleeping Beauty on London with Bonynge. Still the one to beat. It was this ballet that caught my ear when I was 8-yo and got me hooked on classical.
2) Tchaikovsky Swan Lake on London with Bonynge. But if the Fistoulari ever comes around on cd, that choice changes.
3) Prokofieff: Romeo and Juliet. What a fabulous score! Maazel on London or Previn on EMI. Take your choice. Maazel more laser-like, Previn more dance-like.
4) Stravinsky: The Firebird. As much as I love the old Dorati, in terms of sound, Nagano on Virgin is superb, as is Dutoit on London.
5) Khachaturian: Gayane. On RCA with Tjeknavorian.
6) Same composer: Spartacus. One of the very, very few works written in the last 50 years that has made it into the standard rep. There is, sadly, no really great and complete version on cd, although there are many fine suites (Muti, for one). The best of the completes is the Jurowski on Capriccio for now.
7) Glazunov: Raymonda. Naxos will do.
8) Ravel: Daphis and Chloe. Dutoit and Montreal, who else?
9) Shostakovich: The Golden Age on Chandos.
10) de Falla: The Three-Cornered Hat

To avoid "gayness" in ballet, just stay away from the French composers. Especially Delibes. And the German composer Bayer. And the Russian Minkus.

Dec 2, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #19 of 48
Be sure to get some Debussy (deb-you-sea) piano music. I think you'll enjoy it. It's truly not like anything else. If you're short of cash (you should be after buying all this other stuff) get them on Naxos - their pianist and sound is fully competitive. There are many other recordings and most are pretty decent. Debussy is almost pianist-proof.

I'd recommend Elgar's (El-Garr) Enigma Variations. It's a very nice piece with a lot of short, beautiful themes. There's a kind of fun game about it because Elgar supposedly has a "hidden" theme, one that's never played outright, but it's in the background.

No collection is complete without a little Chopin (show-pan). My favorite pianist for Chopin is Moravec and he's pretty easy to find, but of course there are many pianists who've recorded Chopin.

Forgive me for adding pronunciations, but I used to be reticent about asking for classical composers because I couldn't pronounce many of their names.

Also, most public libraries have a pretty fair classical CD collection. It's a good and inexpensive way to test a composer or recording. Once you hear a few, you will want to go online to purchase your collection.

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #21 of 48
I think yourmusic.com has Kleiber's CD of 5th and 7th Beethoven symphonies, which is quite nice...

Jan 7, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #22 of 48
Yes, I'm bumping a random thread from the death

I'm new to classical. I listen to everything but classical and dance. But now I'm warming to classical
biggrin.gif
I'll definitely try to find the suggestions on page 1

What is the best recording and/or performance of Violin Concerto in E minor Op.64? This is the piece that finally converted a sceptic
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I'm bumping a random thread from the death

I'm new to classical. I listen to everything but classical and dance. But now I'm warming to classical
biggrin.gif
I'll definitely try to find the suggestions on page 1

What is the best recording and/or performance of Violin Concerto in E minor Op.64? This is the piece that finally converted a sceptic
smily_headphones1.gif

That depends upon who you ask
smily_headphones1.gif
If you want good, modern sound, I think Kyung Wha Chung is excellent. Mullova is also interesting. If you don't mind older sound, Heifetz is very good as well.

Jan 7, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #25 of 48
Mendelssohn's E Minor:

Milstein/Abbado is wonderful, but regrettably difficult to find

Mutter/Karajan can be found in two ways: on DG Masters with the Brahms, or DG Originals with the Bruch.

Stern/Ormandy is on a disc perhaps more noted for Serkin's classic perfomances of the Piano concertos at $7, a great deal.

And Heifetz/Munch, stunning in all ways but perhaps sonics, it is availible on a Hybrid SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back