Best Classical and Jazz FM Station in NYC area
Jan 1, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 8
WQXR owned by the New York Times plays very good classical music. 96.3. It's the main station I listen to.

WBGO is good for Jazz, 88.3 methinks. I listen to this station a lot at night when I just want to relax with great music in the background.

--Chris

Jan 1, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 8
Depends on what you want to listen to. Those are both excellent, but maintream. More adventurous stuff can be heard on WKCR and WNYC, although not 24/7. They also sound better (a generalization -- subject to geography), at least better than WBGO. I listen to all of them, plus WFUV, and that's about it.

Jan 3, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 8
I second WKCR, 89.9 FM. Adventurous, both for Classical and Jazz. Their Jazz "Birthday Broadcasts" for Ellington, Coltrane, Pops, etc., are second to none. Last week, they finished with the week-long (and annual) Bach festival. As of September 12, they started broadcasting at 4 Times Square, so they should be fairly easy to get in the tri-state area. Great stuff.

You can also hear them on the web at http://www.columbia.edu/cu/wkcr/

Jan 3, 2004 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 8
i like 96.3 a lot for late nighttime driving. there are no commercials, only the occasional (maybe once an hour) ad read by the quiet and soft voice of the dj.

definitely a handy station to keep in my car's presets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back