Best circumaural headphones FOR MUSIC under $100 bucks?
Jun 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

soccerhotty14

New Head-Fier
Hey, I had to start this thread as now i have confusion over the AD 700 and HD 555. PLEASE DONT START ARGUMENT HERE. IM READING IT THERE. So ya, I thought AD 700 was better but now realize it could because they mentioned it for gaming so Ive decided to go down to a local store try out few models and get one myself :) But sadly I have a budget aorund 100 US. So the models that I think might be good and fit my budget is AD 500, AD 700, HD 555. Please suggest more headphones (and their prices) so I can go down to a local store, try them out and get a pair I won't regret. :)

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 14
Hi,
1Time: Sorry Im not really an audiophile but I don't think I need amplifiers, DO I? And er I listen to hip hop, pop, blues mainly. And 90% of it will be used for music 9% movies maybe and 1% games. I have read alot of these threads but at first I was convinced AD 700 was better before I read one another guy started where HD 555 complained that the others said AD 700 was better for gaming which I dont care. I rarely game so I got confused? Oh Open cans btw.

skozsert: M50 has pseudo leather pads. im looking for ones with velour ones and what do u mean by adventurous?

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 14
Well the dbi pro 700 is not very widely known so you don't have as much info on them.  They are a closed headset that uses a mb quart/german maestro housing with custom drivers from dbi.  They have a fun sound profile and are available on ebay for a fraction of their retail price ($40 vs $180).  They have plastic earpads but there seem to be a variety of pads that would fit.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 14
I wouldn't suggest anything other than the AD700s or the 555s in that price range, really.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 14
Hi,

Just so you have another can to ponder, I'm going to suggest something that I personally like and have found to be very comfortable. I think the Grado SR-80(i) is a great headphone. Even with hip-hop (although not my favorite genre) and blues. Hear me out for a moment. If you add the bowls (the previous version had them) and use tape around the outside circumference-- loving ly called the tape mod, you should get the bass you need. No, they won't be bass monsters, but I think the SR-80(i) is a very dynamic and exciting headphone.

The bowls fit around my ears and the headphone is feather light. For me, Grados are still the most comfortable headphones I've tried. Period. There is debate on that as some find them less comfortable, some get used to them and some don't like the comfort at all because of how pads sit on top of many's ears. The only way to know is to try them.

It's worth an audition.

Peace,

Ross

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 14
I didn't mention the Alessandro MS-1s because they weren't circumaural, but like baka mentioned, Grados are also the most comfortable headphones I've tried as well, however comfort level varies from person to person.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
I didn't mention the Alessandro MS-1s because they weren't circumaural, but like baka mentioned, Grados are also the most comfortable headphones I've tried as well, however comfort level varies from person to person.

*double take

wha...what?  Grado are easily the most amoung the most UNCOMFORTABLE ever...:did i miss something here lol?  

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

*double take

wha...what?  Grado are easily the most amoung the most UNCOMFORTABLE ever...:did i miss something here lol?  

Same here. It's really a shame because I like how they sound but I can't wear them for more than 30 minutes. YMMV

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:

*double take

Nope, my MS-Pros are very light on my ears, that's why I said it varies from person to person :)

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 14
Grados aren't that uncomfortable. If you do find them unbearable there are things you can do to improve comfort (search here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back