Best cheap 2.0 computer speakers?
Feb 12, 2007 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
I want some basic 2.0 computer speakers, ideally around the $50 mark. I'm not too concerned with sound quality, but I might as well try to get the best bang for my buck!

Thanks.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 14
The Insignia speakers from bestbuy has gotten good reviews, they are sometimes on sale for $40 a pair and they look nice. Pair that with a sonic T-amp then you're set.
580smile.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #3 of 14
I haven't see the Insignias drop below $60 since Best Buy increased the MSRP to $79.99 about a month ago.

Maybe a 2.1 system from Logitech or Altec Lansing, though the quality won't be very good. The problem with a 2.0 system is that since there's no subwoofer, the speakers have to be full-range, which is almost impossible to find at that price point.

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't see the Insignias drop below $60 since Best Buy increased the MSRP to $79.99 about a month ago.

The invoice that BB pays for the Insignia speakers is ~$29 for the pair. Even at $35 they're still making 20% margins on these babes, so just hold out until the price drops again. Either that, or look for them in the FS forums, I think there was an ad with an asking price of $50 for two pairs.

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 14
we dont have bestbuy in australia. its a whole different country

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 14
You asked a similar question in another thread which went unanswered:

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that the Klipsch are probably better speakers, but in Australia they cost $60 more than the Creatives. I'm wondering what people think between the two given the price difference?

In my experience with such speakers, neither of them will play both loud and deep at the same time. (The extra cost of the Klipsch comes from its dual-woofer design, versus the single woofer in the Creative.) Both sound quite good for their size; just don't expect them to sound better than one of today's higher-end portable boomboxes at normal listening volume.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by duff138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the Insignias speakers shielded?

i dont think so.

also, i waited 1 week too long to buy the darn insignias... if they dont drop under $45 i don't think ill ever buy speakers ever again =(

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 14
I do not agree with the insignias recommendation. They are not very good. I'm using them with a T-amp for computer speakers. Yes, they are cheap (I paid $40/pair), and for the price there isn't much to compare them with. But they are way over-hyped, IMO. I heard the A/R speakers for $100/pair at J&R, and thought they were a lot better than the insignias - build quality, components and sound. Of course, it's hard to judge very accurately the way J&R has things set up.

The T-Amp, on the other hand, is quite good and a bargain when available. IMO, it's worthy of the hype.

Feb 17, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 14
You should hear the Klipsch ProMedia ultra 2.0 for about $99 at BB. I know you said around $50, but there is an amazing amount of sound from these little guys. You will be amazed at the deep sounds they can produce with the class d amp in them.
cool.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want some basic 2.0 computer speakers, ideally around the $50 mark. I'm not too concerned with sound quality, but I might as well try to get the best bang for my buck!

Thanks.

If you are not concerned about sound quality then just buy something on sale.
Is that $50 aus, or $50 us? If you have some space around your computer then a cheap used amp/receiver with speakers will probably sound better than any "computer" speakers. The market is completely different there than it is here, so specific recommendations are pretty much a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back