Best Cellphone Friendly IEM for Hip Hop, R&B, Metal, Jazz, and Neo Soul $150 or less
Jan 1, 2011 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

HerkFE

Head-Fier
Hi All longtime lurker and reader with no account until now where I am in a quandry. As stated my musical preferences are above. These will be used with my LG Optimus S android phone. In addition to the music preferences listed above I also listen to quite a bit of streaming radio and pandora on my phone as well.  

I bought the Mee M6p's and the headset button was defective on 2 pairs in a row so I gave up.

My headphone usage has been Shure's for the most part over the past 3 years. I had the shure e2c followed by 210's which are now starting to come apart on the right cable where it connects to the ear bud. I also use a set of the Creative Labs EP-630's for a comfortable inexpensive mobile bud. I also have Astro A40's for a gaming headset (I know senn 555's or AT AD700's) but I liked the mic being built in and at the time of purchase the TB Earforces were sold out. For the most part I am happy with the sound of all these sans the lack of depth on the astro's. 

What I want is something with Se210 clarity and isolation with a little more bass and of course a mic and headset controls. If I need to leave my price range to get this let me know and I will consider that. In addition these will be used for working out so durability and minimal cord noise is a definite plus.

I have looked at the Etymotic HF3, the Beats Tour mobile, the Turbines with control talk, S4i's, and quite a few others. I am for the first time pretty lost as to what will do the trick for my listening tastes which is why I created an account and decided to post a thread.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 19
So been doing more and more reading and still not really sure

Have looked and the Denon 560's, the Woodee's, the TS02's, the s4i's & s5i's, MC3's, Nuforce NE-7m's and I am still lost. 

On thing I did see that caught my eye was the woodee's with the travel kit that allows me to use them as a VOIP headset as well. for $60 bucks that seemed like a pretty sweet deal. Any thoughts on that?

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 19
I have the thinksound TS02+mic and love them but as for working out with them, I'd look else where. Wood and sweat probably wouldn't mix and they aren't deep fitting in-ears but rather canalphones so for active pursuits they don't like to stay put and sealed. I noticed that Westone is readying a "Talk" series soon (CES announcement) starting with the T1. Now those will be some nice phone-ready IEM's, not sure about the sound signature though as I don't have the Westone1, but rather the UM1 (musicians monitors). I love the clarity of them plus they are comfy, never feel like they're going to lose the seal when I'm exercising and I can wear them all day, but they aren't "fun." The sound signature is flat and lacking in that fun bass/mid boost that makes you feel the music. The T1 should be a more "fun" though since it's in the "personal" line for music listening. May want to add it to your list of options but not sure when it's going to be available for purchase though.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
I have the thinksound TS02+mic and love them but as for working out with them, I'd look else where. Wood and sweat probably wouldn't mix and they aren't deep fitting in-ears but rather canalphones so for active pursuits they don't like to stay put and sealed. I noticed that Westone is readying a "Talk" series soon (CES announcement) starting with the T1. Now those will be some nice phone-ready IEM's, not sure about the sound signature though as I don't have the Westone1, but rather the UM1 (musicians monitors). I love the clarity of them plus they are comfy, never feel like they're going to lose the seal when I'm exercising and I can wear them all day, but they aren't "fun." The sound signature is flat and lacking in that fun bass/mid boost that makes you feel the music. The T1 should be a more "fun" though since it's in the "personal" line for music listening. May want to add it to your list of options but not sure when it's going to be available for purchase though.

Thanks for the information I totally spaced the fact that a wood IEM and sweat is probably not a good combo. Do you have any idea what the price point would be on Westones? If I recall them correctly the brand is usually pretty pricey. Again thanks for the response.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 19
Sweet I will keep my eye out for them. I saw some senneheisers on newegg for $50 today that are the addidas sports ones anyone on headfi have any experience with these?

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
The Nuforce NE-700M just came out and might fit the bill.  It's $79.

Good recommendation. I just got the 700X (same as the 700M w/out the mic). I'm very impressed. I'm a big fan of Nuforce products. I used Nuforce NE-6's for about a year. They took all the abuse I threw at them and they are still kicking. I kept trying to replace them with more expensive IEMs but the more $$$ IEMs kept dying on me (I won't mention names because I'm hard on my IEMs) . The 700X's are now my daily use IEM and the NE-6's are now my gym units.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #10 of 19
So I am still waffling on purchase decisions but I am at least more targeted now here is where I am at.

IEM's I am now watching regularly

Punch Plugs

Nuforce 700m's 

Phonak Audeo PFE w/mic (have found a way to get them for $146 with a coupon)

Denon AHC560's

Hope and prayer for a good sale IEM's

Monster Turbines with control talk

Triple fi's with mic

X10's with mic

So with my list being slightly more targeted then it was before am I really gonna find anything better then the PFE's at $146?
Are the PFE's $70 better then the punch plugs?
Are the NE-700's worth the wait and a better value at $79 then the punch plugs?

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 19
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/526258/first-impressions-nuforce-ne-700x-earphones-iem-non-mic-version-post-your-thoughts-here
Check that out
I have the s4i and have to say they are really good for the price, although, the highs can be harsh and sibilance IS present. Soundstage is great tho which is useful for gaming
The PFEs are a good choice if ur a casual listener, but are somewhat light on bass due to their drivers being balanced armature.
If i were u, id also look into the Brainwavz M3.
The nuforce has a phenomenal soundstage as ive read from reviews, but its more of an audience's point of soundstage than actually being on the stage. They are a great bang for ur buck at only 80$ and are nice all arounders

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/526258/first-impressions-nuforce-ne-700x-earphones-iem-non-mic-version-post-your-thoughts-here
Check that out
I have the s4i and have to say they are really good for the price, although, the highs can be harsh and sibilance IS present. Soundstage is great tho which is useful for gaming
The PFEs are a good choice if ur a casual listener, but are somewhat light on bass due to their drivers being balanced armature.
If i were u, id also look into the Brainwavz M3.
The nuforce has a phenomenal soundstage as ive read from reviews, but its more of an audience's point of soundstage than actually being on the stage. They are a great bang for ur buck at only 80$ and are nice all arounders

Brainwavz lack mic and remote functionality that I am looking for. Thanks for all the other inputs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back