Best Cases for Colorware'd iPods?
Jun 2, 2007 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

scrypt

Head-Fi's Sybil
Colorware'd iPod owners:
  1. Do you own a tinty-fresh 4G or 5G? If so, which case do you use? Do you recommend your case and, if so, has it preserved the finish of your iPod's paint job over time?
  2. What other cases would you recommend?
  3. Which cases would you not recommend?
I've done research into Colorware before and know the following:
  • Colorware'd iPods are slightly larger than their normal iterations due to extra layers of coating. This means they don't always fit into normal cases.
  • Certain cases seem to fit snugly but can blemish the paint and clear coating over time (Vaja and certain other leather varieties, for example).
Since several members (beginning with philodox, I think) own or have owned Colorware'd iPods for years, I thought it would be useful to have a thread addressing the subject.

===========================

[size=x-small]My personal interest:

Some time ago, I noticed Target was selling refurb'ed Colorware iPod 5.5G 80GBs. Given the base price, and various coupon discounts that evened the cost with that of an Apple refurb, I could no longer rationalize buyer's abstinence. I pressed that special button faster than my computer could alert me with a languorous o-o-o-h.[/size]

Jun 3, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've done research into Colorware before and know the following:
  1. Colorware'd iPods are slightly larger than their normal iterations due to extra layers of coating.

1. Bonjour scrypt,

You must be joking....right....
    blink.gif

I had one 4g iMod «Colorwared» last year and there is probably 2-3 microns of paint on the surface. So indeed by the NASA standards it is larger...
    wink.gif

Amicalement

EDIT: related to your question: I choose the black one. I'm quite happy with it.

http://www.contourcase.com/showcase/showcase4g/

(Finally, I will buy the new iTank 4g as soon it will be available. Ironic that a protection like the iTank is completely defeating the purpose of buying the Colorware option.)

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bonjour scrypt, You must be joking....right....
blink.gif
. . . . I had one 4g iMod «Colorwared» last year and there is probably 2-3 microns of paint on the surface. So indeed by the NASA standards it is larger...
wink.gif
. . . . related to your question: I choose the black one. I'm quite happy with it.

Thanks for that, Genetic. While I appreciate the benefit o' your experience, I must respectfully disagree with your comment about "microns" of paint not making a difference with some cases. I've been discussing the Colorware process with company reps and third-party resellers and users for years. I could cite four conversations with Head-fi Colorware owners of past models that referenced a case's form becoming too tight after the Colorware process -- especially over time. I've seen first-hand the damage a leather Vaja case can inflict on the transparent Colorware screen coating. If you don't believe me, have a look at this example.

Additionally, J&R ran a Colorware promotion for the 4G a few years ago and I was again able to compare firsthand the difference in thickness made by the eight-layer coating. A salesman friend even warned me about buying certain hard cases if I chose to use Colorware. "Take it from me," he said. "Some just don't fit."

(Let us pause to listen to the amplified sound of mantises mating.)

However, I'm delighted (tee-hee) that the Showcase fits, as I use the same for my iPod Photo. I'm anticipating snatching the YoTank Photo as well; if yours fits comfortably, then I'll probably pick up the 5G 80GB version for mine.

Obviously, the safe solution is silicone, as that kind of case has sufficient yield to accommodate the difference. But I'd love to be able to use a beautiful aluminum case without damaging the finish.

Quote:

http://www.contourcase.com/showcase/showcase4g/

(Finally, I will buy the new iTank 4g as soon it will be available. Ironic that a protection like the iTank is completely defeating the purpose of buying the Colorware option.)

O uncontainable irony of containment! (The preceding was cribbed from Cocteau's Blood of a Poet.) That's why I was so funny-kneed about the Target Colorware deal: With coupons, it cost precisely as much as an Apple refurb. For that price, I'll heppily become the owner of a stealth Colorware iPod. (Still -- if I'd had a choice, the red and black would be metallic and not solid.)

Speaking of cases that do and don't obscure the Colorware finish: Have you looked at the Illusion cases for the 5G?

Switched off, the case looks like this; switched on, like this. (Yes, no matter what music you play, you'll be gaping at Abba!)

If one prefers to show off one's paint job, one may opt for the clear plate instead.

Robster:

The nice thing about the mystique/lilac model is the pure metallic finish. If that purple had been a few shades darker, I'd have bought it instead.

Also: The real advantage of picking one up from Target was in the coupons, one of which might have expired. To anyone who's interested, I say, scrutinize Fatwallet and buy from whichever venue offers the best base price/coupon discount combination.

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scrypt,
I'd recommend any silicone case would work. I'd recommend a iSkin.

Nick, my Knut among the minute:

Silicone is the safest solution and the one I'd go with if Genetic hadn't been so utterly virile in his fearless scratch-defying micron/showcase tuff-off. I'll look into iSkin and Lajo in the event I decide to go all stretchy.

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that, Genetic. While I appreciate the benefit o' your experience, I must respectfully disagree with your comment about "microns" of paint not making a difference with some cases. I've been discussing the Colorware process with company reps and third-party resellers and users for years. I could cite four conversations with Head-fi Colorware owners of past models that referenced a case's form becoming too tight after the Colorware process -- especially over time. I've seen first-hand the damage a leather Vaja case can inflict on the transparent Colorware screen coating. If you don't believe me, have a look at this example.

Additionally, J&R ran a Colorware promotion for the 4G a few years ago and I was again able to compare firsthand the difference in thickness made by the eight-layer coating. A salesman friend even warned me about buying certain hard cases if I chose to use Colorware. "Take it from me," he said. "Some just don't fit."

(Let us pause to listen to the amplified sound of mantises mating.)

However, I'm delighted (tee-hee) that the Showcase fits, as I use the same for my iPod Photo. I'm anticipating snatching the YoTank Photo as well; if yours fits comfortably, then I'll probably pick up the 5G 80GB version for mine.

Obviously, the safe solution is silicone, as that kind of case has sufficient yield to accommodate the difference. But I'd love to be able to use a beautiful aluminum case without damaging the finish.

O uncontainable irony of containment! (The preceding was cribbed from Cocteau's Blood of a Poet.)

Speaking of cases that do and don't obscure the Colorware finish: Have you looked at the Illusion cases for the 5G?

So many things to say and so little words to use...
frown.gif

OK....Maybe I did not get the regular paint job from these guys (I'm holding/looking my/at Colorware iPod right now and I truly cant see how this can be a factor). But if others had problems I'll acknowledge the possibility.

Granted, Vaja cases (I have one also) are not made to be used with precious and expensive paint job. On the other hand the Showcase is so roomy that even with the colorware done you can almost (I said almost) feel the Pod moving inside the case.

I'm pretty sure that even Cocteau would find my personal obsession with protecting my gear rather amusing. I have, brace yourself, ordered for my iTank case (and my Hornet/Larocco amps) custom hard leather skins on which the «artisan» will place the usual «velcro». The term overkill is no more helping in my «condition»....
biggrin.gif

The illusion case...hummm...interesting. Thanks I'll look into it.

Amicalement

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So many things to say and so little words to use...
frown.gif

I have no problem with your style of self-expression; I think it's rude to comment on people's style generally in a public forum, but I'd never be moved to pass judgment on yours. I only wish you'd seen me in Quebec wandering the avenues after performing for a touchingly appreciative audience: my botched French probably made America a few new enemies. (Even so, I'd love to move to Canada permanently. The musical/artistic community seems astoundingly supportive and warm.)

Quote:

Granted, Vaja cases (I have one also) are not made to be used with precious and expensive paint job. On the other hand the Showcase is so roomy that even with the colorware done you can almost (I said almost) feel the Pod moving inside the case.

Again: Thanks for the insight about the Showcase.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that even Cocteau would find my personal obsession with protecting my gear rather amusing.

I tend to think Cocteau could find nearly anything amusing! (The original line translated: "O Mortal tedium of immortality!" Cartoonist Gahan Wilson found a variant that makes me titter incontinently: Two angels, each poised on puny clouds and playing dreadful toy harps. One looks at the other in abject horror and says, "You mean this is it!?")

Quote:

I have, brace yourself, ordered for my iTank case (and my Hornet/Larocco amps) custom hard leather skins on which the «artisan» will place the usual «velcro». The term overkill is no more helping in my «condition»....
biggrin.gif

Consider me braced -- for my sake as well as yours. I, too, have the condition, and would doubtless admire your cases within cases. More and more, strains of Head-fi perfectionism feel like new pathologies to be listed in the DSM-V.

I'd adore to have cases confected for my wee travelin' amps as well. If your artisan needs more work, do PM me with contact info. Otherwise, I'll soon be IM'ing the Waterfield foont.

Quote:

Amicalement

I, too, intend what I write to sound friendly and jocular (albeit in a Jesus, what the devil is that buttock hat trying to pull!? sort of way)!

Jun 4, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 11
A case for the LaRocco PRII! man I would love to see that if you would. Thanks.

BTW, I use a Contour on both of my iPods and it seems to me that there is enough room to accomodate the additional thickness of the paint. However I would be concerned it ill wear off on the contact points.
mad.gif

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A case for the LaRocco PRII! man I would love to see that if you would. Thanks.

Seems that I'll have to deliver on that one...
eek.gif
But I have to make 2 remarks:

1) Initially I saw many outstanding portable gears strapped together with almost «desert island» means. I wanted to avoid that at any cost (almost). So the leather cases (one for the Hornet and the other for the LaRocco) are designed with the specific objective of creating a link between the amp and the iPod. In that respect the look of it has to be discret.

2) Asking such a gadget to an artist comes with the mandatory waiting period. But being a LaRocco owner I have some practice...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll send you pictures as soon this is completed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, I use a Contour on both of my iPods and it seems to me that there is enough room to accomodate the additional thickness of the paint. However I would be concerned it ill wear off on the contact points.
mad.gif

Looking at my Colorwared iMod I can confirm that one year later there is no trace of any ill wear on the colorware work. Then again I have T-shirts older than the average Head-Fier that are looking brand new...

Amicalement

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm with Genetic here... I doubt that the paint 'size' would be an issue. That said, my Wife just uses one of those pink iPod socks on her colorwarepc iPod.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back