Best cans under $150; 300-600 Ohm
Nov 30, 2010 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yosemitesamiam

New Head-Fier
OK, so I'm in line for a Bottlehead Crack amp...I'm going to be needing a fairly decent set of cans for listening.  I don't want to spend gobs of money on this mostly from the perspective of A) I am raising a family and B) I am working class. (LOL).  Money is always fairly tight, kids knowing about nice things is never good (I'd worry about a $500-$1500 pair of cans being flushed in a toilet) , but great music is always appreciated.   I do tons of travel for work, so music I can take with was my first choice.  Yes, a tube amp and full sized cans might be weird looking getting on an airplane...but oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, guys and gals alike, if you can keep me within budget, sub $150 for now...get me some nice mids, clean highs, not muddy lows....AND have adequate sound staging, I'd be appreciative of any/all recommendations.  I no longer have my Senns from days of studio and live mixing (don't even remember the model anymore, sorry)....I do still have a pair of shure EC-3s that are dedicated hands free for driving now (thank you California). 

Thanks everyone...and feel free to ask questions if you need!

Sam

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 4
If you aren't scared off by a little, and I mean little, bit of DIY you should definitely check out the Fostex t50rp.  The most important mods are simple, and only take about a half hour to complete, but this headphone becomes something really special once they are modded.  The best part is they only cost $74.  For that little price you get an amazing little orthodynamic driver that amazing speed and clarity.  It's my opinion that you can't find a headphone under $700 that can match the modded t50rp in terms of treble detail and amazing mids.  

I haven't heard one from a tube amp, but I believe a lot of people said they had great synergy with the CTH which leads me to believe they would work well with your bottlehead.  I plan on building a bottlehead once I get some more disposable income because I'm very interested in getting into tubes.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back