Best cans for electronica/chill/ambient etc. for $250-$500
Nov 16, 2015 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

EllipticCurve

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
Pretty much what the title says. I'd like an open pair though which is also pretty comfortable for long listening sessions.
Currently I have Shure SRH840 also ODAC/O2.

Thanks~

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 22
Perhaps give a planar a try like the HE-400s or HE-400i from HiFiMAN. They are super comfortable, sound awesome, and present the music as close to a speaker-like experience that I have found so far. They are great for the types of music you listed because they have excellent bass extension without being too rolled off in the treble.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 22
tell me your feelings about your SRH840.  As I'm very familiar with that headphone with electronic music, I can probably take those feelings and guide you to a good open phone.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 22
  tell me your feelings about your SRH840.  As I'm very familiar with that headphone with electronic music, I can probably take those feelings and guide you to a good open phone.

Overall I really like my SRH840 and that sort of sound signature. Mids are amazing, treble isn't too sibilant, bass is okay I guess although there isn't much sub bass and sometimes it's a bit slow? Also, soundstage isn't great, hence why I want to go with an open pair. Overall I'd prefer something with similarly nice mids but more detail and more soundstage + a bit faster overall.

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 22
  Overall I really like my SRH840 and that sort of sound signature. Mids are amazing, treble isn't too sibilant, bass is okay I guess although there isn't much sub bass and sometimes it's a bit slow? Also, soundstage isn't great, hence why I want to go with an open pair. Overall I'd prefer something with similarly nice mids but more detail and more soundstage + a bit faster overall.

you just described a RS2e or PS500e.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 22
  Slightly worried that HE400i might prove not 'airy' enough or a bit too dark for genres such as uplifting trance or psybient etc.

They are just about as airy as my AKG K712 Pro and I listen to uplifting trance every so often. Give me a track on YouTube to verify and I can see if they groove.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 22

you just described a RS2e or PS500e.

I find the RS2e slow, bright, and uncomfortable. I cannot recommend them for what the OP is looking for here.

See how the headphone, RS2e, does not measure well below 60 Hz seen as drastic roll off in the bass? That is going to give you decent sub-bass, but no true low frequencies. That nasty peak at 1.5 kHz is also a problem because most ears are very sensitive to this frequency. The 30 Hz square wave response droops so much that it is hardly a fast headphone too. Even the distortion is pretty bad. I would shy away from these unless you want to be upgrading later.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #13 of 22
I don't know of any $300 or less headphone that's very airy.  My DT 880 and K7xx aren't really airy.  If the HE-400i drops to $300, definitely get that.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 22

I find the RS2e slow, bright, and uncomfortable. I cannot recommend them for what the OP is looking for here.

Here are the measurements so we can see what I am talking about.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoRS1eSCushions.pdf

See how the headphone, RS2e, does not measure well below 60 Hz seen as drastic roll off in the bass? That is going to give you decent sub-bass, but no true low frequencies. That nasty peak at 1.5 kHz is also a problem because most ears are very sensitive to this frequency. The 30 Hz square wave response droops so much that it is hardly a fast headphone too. Even the distortion is pretty bad. I would shy away from these unless you want to be upgrading later.

I can't speak to the innerfidelity measurements, but knowing the headphone he's using as his reference point, adn the RS2e, I can say that the RS2e will provide an improvement in soundstage and speed.  Comfort, sure, everybody has to try Grados to see if they find them comfortable or not.  I've never had a problem with them comfort wise.  

The graph you posted is also of the RS1e with S cushions, not the stock RS2e.  I tried one of the early run RS1es and DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL.  Supposedly subsequent RS1es have been "fixed" quietly, but I haven't heard them.  I think everybody I've talked to who have tried both (I have tried both) liked the RS2e better than the RS1e.  Innerfidelity has not tested the RS2e.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back