Best cans for 200$ or less!
Jul 9, 2010 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Goku

100+ Head-Fier
Going to an unexpected NYC trip on Sunday. THIS Sunday. So I need a decent pair of cans for the flight. I have 200$ and I need them ASAP! Please, I know Head-fi has some of the most enlightened Audiophiles the Earth has ever seen. SO PLEASE share the love. Oh, and I know there are other threads about this, but thy're about cans that one would have to order online. I NEED TO GO IN STORE BEFORE SUNDAY AND PICK THEM UP! YIKES! ANYWAYS, thanks for the love. Peace, love, skeeet, and cheese!

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 8
Sennheiser HD25.  From my reading comfy, isolating, sound good, less than $200.  I do like my M50's though.  Shure 840's are an option as well, perhaps a bit less isolating?

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Going to an unexpected NYC trip on Sunday. THIS Sunday. So I need a decent pair of cans for the flight. I have 200$ and I need them ASAP! Please, I know Head-fi has some of the most enlightened Audiophiles the Earth has ever seen. SO PLEASE share the love. Oh, and I know there are other threads about this, but thy're about cans that one would have to order online. I NEED TO GO IN STORE BEFORE SUNDAY AND PICK THEM UP! YIKES! ANYWAYS, thanks for the love. Peace, love, skeeet, and cheese!

I'll echo the thoughts of Anaxilus. I've auditioned the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and it is probably one of the best cans you can get for your purposes and still be able to find locally. I haven't heard the M50s but I have heard good things about them. I'd suggest going to Guitar Center (if you have one nearby) and try out some of their cans. When I went they had the 840s and M50s among others. They may have also had a HD25 laying around but I didn't look too closely. It should give you a great idea of what suits you best. I tried the HD25s out at Best Buy so that may also be an option for you.
Btw The flattery is a nice touch. 
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 8
HEHE! Thanks for the input guys. Really. I will def. give both the HD25s and 840s a spin. Just wondering, have any of you tried 
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7b? They're suppose to be great iosos but I'm not to sure about the sound quality?

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 8
Another vote for the HD 25. They are the perfect portables for me. They sound excellent and isolate very well.
From what i've read the SRH840 also offers great isolation, but its way bigger and it needs more juice to really shine.

If you go for the HD 25, i recommend picking up an HD 600 cable for them. They are very easy to recable and it gives a nice improvement in sound. Also be sure to burn them in as they can sound quite harsh out of the box (i almost returned them because of this)

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for all the input guys...I'm going to go with IEMs though. I asked around everywhere in the Dallas area, no one has the 25's. A local Frys has the turbines. I've been meaning to pick up a pair for the last couple months. Again, thanks guys...and gals
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back