Best canalphones for motorcycle?
Dec 30, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #16 of 26
Earphones on a motorcycle are not necessarily a bad idea nor dangerous. I might have had this notion myself in the past before gaining enough real-world experience to know otherwise.

Anyway, to answer the question in the OP (since he asked about suitable IEMs for a motorcycle and not for a bunch of moralizing and safety advice), I see two critical factors:

1. Noise isolation, very critical for long trips on a bike.
2. Fit under a helmet.

These two considerations narrow the field quite a bit, particularly item #2. There still are a few good candidates though and I use the Ety ER-6i which I find meets both requirements.

Dec 30, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 26
For years i used sony EX-70/71's but they fall out eventualy so it would be better going for the custom moulded IEM's. However nowadays I use speakers in the helmet in conjunctin with EAR pod plugs. This has the benefit of cutting out most of the road roar and allowing the speakers to be heard. The quality is not the greatest but in all honesty I do not wish to be listening too keenly. However the safety aspect of riding for long distances with nothing but the drone of the air/road/engine is, in my opinion, worse for concentration than a bit of background music so I'll happily stick to enjoying a bit of music whilst riding.

Andy

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #18 of 26
Another rider here who is a little scared by the idea of riding with canal phones.

I can see the appeal, but wow, that a little too scary for me. I see that you're OK with the risk, but I hope to add another vote for not doing it for any other riders who might be thinking about this and reading this thread.

Good luck.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #19 of 26
It's quite important to first point out that using earplug is a common practice among touring/long distance bikers. Wind and engine noises are so much at their level of riding it become dangerous. No matter how unsafe it sounds, without any hearing protection they'll become virtually deaf after an hour or so, won't hear much traffic anyway.

IMO the best solution could be using those canalphones that aren't completely isolate such as the V-Moda VIBE. BTW don't forget to keep the volume as low as possible to save your hearing in a long run and always keep alert knowing you are pushing the limit adding another distraction (music) to an already dangerous activity.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #20 of 26
This might be a bit late for the original poster but the Westone UM2 would work well under a helmet ( because they sit inside your ear, nice and flush). I don't know about the danger factor (I always ride both road and track with ear plugs in, just helps with my concentration) but at least you would have some tunes too listen to as the semi screeches to a stop on your head.
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #22 of 26
Don't forget to check the laws in your state. Some states still do not allow protecting your hearing while on a motorcycle (aka it's illegal to wear earplugs while riding in some states). Also, you should be able to find (in the same place) whether or not it is illegal to wear headphones while riding (this is a separate law and can be different from the earplug regulation).
The Etymotic ER-6 or 4P/S would be a good choice. Microphonics from wind noise on the cord should not be an issue since the helmet (I suppose I am assuming you are wearing a helmet although in some states this is not required either) should prevent them.
Be careful out there, there aren't enough riders as it is.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

The Etymotic ER-6 or 4P/S

Whoa, big difference between those two. The ER6/6i have small bodies and will fit under a helmet easily, the ER4 stick out way too far and it is not practical (or safe) to try to wear them under a helmet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back