Best cable options to replace stock on Grado GS-1000? (Stock cable is damaged)
Feb 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sammcj

Head-Fier
Howdy all,

I've never thought of replacing my headphones cabling, but it's starting to get pretty damaged around the junctions etc...
I've seen lots of arguments for / against cable mods, I don't really have an opnion either way, I just want something decent to replace the stock with.

What should I replace it with?, the cable and connector need to be at least as good as stock Grado cabling or better.

Cans:

Grado GS-1000 (not i model) 32ohm.

Amp:

Objective2 built by JDS labs.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 13
Canare starquad and a neutrik connector

Thanks, so get something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANARE-L-4E6S-STAR-QUAD-BALANCED-1-4-TRS-PATCH-CABLE-NEUTRIK-20-RED-/130626700338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e69f54432

I'm taking it I just cut to length, split the earth and wire the earth and a signal to each of the cans?
What would recommend to shield the cable running up to each can?

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 13
maybe Moon Audio Black Dragon? they send it back to Grados to do the mods to ensure consistency.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 13
maybe Moon Audio Black Dragon? they send it back to Grados to do the mods to ensure consistency.

Hmm yes but they're VERY expensive, also if I have to send my headphones back to them shipping is going to get expensive as I don't live in the US.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 13
Hmm yes but they're VERY expensive, also if I have to send my headphones back to them shipping is going to get expensive as I don't live in the US.

I suppose I could buy 5 feet of: http://www.moon-audio.com/diy-audio-parts/audio-wire/moon-audio-black-dragon-bulk-headphone-cable.html

And then it would just be a matter of making up a T junction and wiring up the cans.
I would still need something to go over the cables running to each side of the headphones - Any idea what I'd use to protect the cable? Heatshrink or something?

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 13
I just bought this: http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/459175806-Free-Shipping-by-registered-air-parcel-10ft-0-8mm-4-core-Teflon-silver-coated-shield-cable-wholesalers.html

What do you think?
Seems good for the price... maybe too good?

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
I just bought this: http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/459175806-Free-Shipping-by-registered-air-parcel-10ft-0-8mm-4-core-Teflon-silver-coated-shield-cable-wholesalers.html
What do you think?
Seems good for the price... maybe too good?

It's very vague who even made that cable (as far as a company goes.)  There were some good recommendations made as far as Canare goes and I'd even toss in the Mogami Gold Neglex cable, which is a bit more than the Canare, but also a wonderful cable.  In regards to the Grados, one doesn't want to spend all of their time making and installing cables just to get the right one.  In the end, you'll have spent more money on buying all the off-brand so-so cables of questionable quality when it would have been easier to just get a good one from the start.

Just my .02

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks wjr, Appreciate your input.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Thanks wjr, Appreciate your input.

No problem.  If you happened to reside in the states, I would have offered to replace your cable for the cost of the parts alone = along with the shipping.  However, I think our geographies are far enough apart that it makes it a financial disaster to ship back and forth.  However, I will state that for the price of the generic cable that you linked to, I could have provided you with a quality Mogami cable, a 1/4" Neutrik gold connector and probably even USPS Priority mail shipping (one way) to get up to the $37.00 price mark.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
No problem.  If you happened to reside in the states, I would have offered to replace your cable for the cost of the parts alone = along with the shipping.  However, I think our geographies are far enough apart that it makes it a financial disaster to ship back and forth.  However, I will state that for the price of the generic cable that you linked to, I could have provided you with a quality Mogami cable, a 1/4" Neutrik gold connector and probably even USPS Priority mail shipping (one way) to get up to the $37.00 price mark.

You don't want to try to dig out those GS1k drivers bud, trust me, been there done that, it's awful.

*edit*
...and apparently so is my timestamp reading skillz

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 13
I messed around with it yesterday and was actually able to remove the driver with very minimal to almost no damage to the cups or drivers.  Time and patience (alot). 
The reason I was considering a cable upgrade was because the left driver went out.  I thought it was just connection problem, but it turned out to be a driver issue.  Don't exactly know what happened.  I have contacted Grado and they will replace both drivers for a fee.  I will be sending them in for the driver replacement.  I am not looking forward to the break-in.  On the upside, I will have sort of new headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back