Best budget on-ears.
Dec 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 7
Yes the JVC S500 are the best that I have personally heard (and own) in that price range. The philips downtown were on Tyll's wall of fame you can check into those. I never bothered with them.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Yes the JVC S500 are the best that I have personally heard (and own) in that price range. The philips downtown were on Tyll's wall of fame you can check into those. I never bothered with them.

Hey doc, how do u compare s400 to s500? i know it's 30mm vs 50mm, but sound wise is there any significant difference? Thinking to pick one of them up just for fun. Thanks.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 7
Its actually 30mm vs 40mm but I think you meant that. They do have similarities in sound but yes there is a significant difference. The S400's highs are more laid back and less sparkly than the S500 and the bass does not extend as well. I actually enjoyed the S400 when using the softer aftermarket SJ5 pads they all talk about over on those threads. I didn't care for it as much with the stock pads but still great sounding for the $24 dollars I paid for them. I gave the S400 to a coworker and she is very happy with them.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Its actually 30mm vs 40mm but I think you meant that. They do have similarities in sound but yes there is a significant difference. The S400's highs are more laid back and less sparkly than the S500 and the bass does not extend as well. I actually enjoyed the S400 when using the softer aftermarket SJ5 pads they all talk about over on those threads. I didn't care for it as much with the stock pads but still great sounding for the $24 dollars I paid for them. I gave the S400 to a coworker and she is very happy with them.

Lol the s400 and s500 are only found on Ebay her in the UK

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 7
Prolly because they are being imported. The S500 is not available for retail in the US. Import only. The S400 was only finally released in October to the US but prior to that you had to pay around $50 bucks for them imported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back