Best "Budget" Headphones
Mar 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AzixTGO

New Head-Fier
This is a duplicate thread. Seems the headphones I mentioned are in this section, and not the other.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655150/best-budget-headphones 

Good morning fellow people with ears. I'm looking for the best headphones around the $50 range.. At first I was looking at the MDRXB500, then MDRXB600, then the MDR v55 (which I though were it till I came here), then I found this site and found the JVC HA-S500. Though "omagard I must has!!" only to find, after a bit of drooling, that it was import only. People don't even have them bought wholesale and on sale in the US. Is it that hard? Anyway, I don't have the time to order them as I am not in the states and my US thingsIcantbuydownhere smuggler is not staying that long. (makes me want to move to Japan). Then I saw the HA-S400 and searched with fingers crossed in the hope that it was better than the 500. Meh. How good are the HA-S400 with gaming and movies? 

Could you provide your suggestions for this price range? I will be using them with a sound blaster recon3D External USB sound enhancer. Not because its only for gaming or anything like that, but I think in PC sound cards should be done away with. It's 2016, they should be portable by now. One sound card for Desktop, laptop, netbook, PS3 etc. Suggestions on the external sound are welcome.

I am sure there are other headphones that I am not aware off. Seems lots of pickings but I don't have the chance to listen to them. BTW you guys should go to war with Japan. They are holding out. 

Music, Movies and Gaming.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
another vote for cal

around $80 and looks flimsy. 

Most useful amazon negative review 

[size=small]I bought these headphones hearing great reviews about their quality, price, and how there hadn't been any reviews that I'd seen that they'd fallen apart. Mine did. After about 6 months to maximum a year of having and loving these Aurvana Live's, the left ear stopped playing music. I know that it isn't just the I-pod's fault because I have that problem with my iPod, and when plugged into anything else, it still only plays in one ear. The pros of these headphones are that they're very good sounding, comfortable, and have decent noise canceling and bass for only $100. The cons is that they've broken already even when I have treated them with proper care. This is a pretty decent amount to spend on a pair of headphones that could only work in one ear, so you need to ask yourself: is it worth the risk?[/size]

Sounds like what was happening with the old sigma headset I had. One cup going out as the cable went. The hinges holding the cups look really weak. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
around $80 and looks flimsy. 

Most useful amazon negative review 

Sounds like what was happening with the old sigma headset I had. One cup going out as the cable went. The hinges holding the cups look really weak. 

normally see them for around 60 on amazon. bought mine for that price. i see its higher atm.
as for hinges. i guess they look weak. i havent heard many complaints about them tho, inc myself.
tbh for $50 you're not going to get some rock sturdy fone.

on a side note, i havent heard the s500, but many ppl seem to be fans

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 10
Superlux 668b and samson sr850 are the two that I think of off hand, pretty much same headphones. I own the superlux 668b paired up with asus xonar dg and it's a great combo that I love to use. I just need to pick up some velour pads for it the pleather pads are lacking.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #9 of 10
If you are willing to get refurbished headphones or used from a reputable dealer you can get some great deals. My lightweight open Senn HD238s cost about $38 from Amazon and I've used them for 2 years and are good as new. I recently got HD 558s refurbished but truly "good as new" for $105. At least take a look at some of the prices.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 10
Ended up with the Superlux HD668B when at $47

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8

not bad at all. A little tight when I got it but becomes more comfortable. Put some foam to raise the pads so my ears dont touch the hard inside so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back