Best bluetooth active noise cancelling cans for under $150.00???
Jul 14, 2017 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there ...

I need a decent pair of noise cancelling bluetooth headphones and just don't want to drop major coin on the Bose variants (a housemate has the new QC35's and they are insanely good at noise cancelling but no way am I going to drop that sort of money for "recreational" cans) ...

I've read the reviews for many others in my price range but there are so many and reviews are, well, reviews ... so I was hoping somebody could chime in with direct experience regarding decent bluetooth, active noise cancelling headphones for under $150.00.

I'll be using them strictly for movie watching in my room; I live with two other persons and they both have TV's that they blare (no headphones for some reason) ... and so I've got to get something to block out the sounds (through the wall, muffled sort but still annoying). The Bose QC35's completely eliminated any/all such sounds and so I'm hoping to find something in my price range at least 75% or better, as good.

Thanks for any comments....

Joel

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 18
Parrot Zik are pretty good, and the original, refurb, are available on Groupon right now for $80:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-parrot-zik-wireless-headphones-refurbished

If you're not picky about color, you can get them from Amazon for $92.49:

https://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Wireless-Cancelling-Headphones-Control/dp/B00F415LEU?th=1

I have the Zik's so I can vouch for them personally. Battery life is pretty bad (about 5 hours if you use all features, maybe it's better with a new battery, it's rated for about 6 hours with all features on -- EQ, ANC, etc.), but it's a replaceable battery so you can get spares if you'd like to pop in.

Here's one I haven't tried but gets good reviews, the Monoprice Solace:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-SonicSolace-Cancelling-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B01MTIUQD0

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 18
I just noticed that that the Monoprice Solace noise-cancelling BT headphones are cheaper right now directly from Monoprice ($59.99 on sale right now) than they are on Amazon:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16219

Thanks for that .... I've been reading about those and I think I'm going to try them ... thanks for all the comments ...

Best,
Joel

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 18
Just ordered the Sonic Solace ... that's actually a super good price ... I'll be using my mates Bose QC35's till they arrive and so I'll have a good benchmark; I will say this, though ... having used the Bose QC35's for a good bit and despite the fact that the active noise cancellation is RIDICULOUSLY good? They just don't sound that great, at least for movies, which is my main use for them ... just sort of flat sounding. I think the QC25's sounded better personally and had just about as good of noise cancellation. Also, I've used the old *wired* Bose Triports for years, strictly for movies and games ... and the sound quality of the old Tri Ports ... at least for those mentioned usage scenarios, is WAY better than any of the noise cancelling Bose cans.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 18
Little update ...

The Monoprice Sonic Solace came in today and I've had a quick listen ...

1. The noise cancelling is adequate for my simple and specific needs: watching TV/movies at night at my house; that's all I bought them for and I think the noise cancelling is going to be just fine for this. But the Bose QC35's are much better in the ANC department ... to the point of being like voodoo. But for $65 and change? The Sonic Solace offer 75% to 80% of the ANC that the Bose offer. If I flew on planes every week? The Bose would be a no brainer ...

2. Regarding general sound? I vastly prefer the Sonic Solace I think as they are definitely more of a "V shape" in regards to sound ... with definite and emphasized bass/treble, this is something I really enjoy when it comes to movies and TV. The Bose QC35's sound utterly flat in comparison which is just not what I want when it comes to entertainment sound.

So oddly, and just in regards to my personal needs? It's sort of a balancing act where I prefer the Bose QC35's noise cancelling but on the other hand much more prefer the Sonic Solace sound signature. I'm actually rather surprised as the cheap Sonic Solace are damn enjoyable to listen too (I've only listened to music so far) ... much more enjoyable sound-wise than are the Bose ...

Thanks again for the suggestions ...

joel

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 18
Little update ...

The Monoprice Sonic Solace came in today and I've had a quick listen ...

1. The noise cancelling is adequate for my simple and specific needs: watching TV/movies at night at my house; that's all I bought them for and I think the noise cancelling is going to be just fine for this. But the Bose QC35's are much better in the ANC department ... to the point of being like voodoo. But for $65 and change? The Sonic Solace offer 75% to 80% of the ANC that the Bose offer. If I flew on planes every week? The Bose would be a no brainer ...

2. Regarding general sound? I vastly prefer the Sonic Solace I think as they are definitely more of a "V shape" in regards to sound ... with definite and emphasized bass/treble, this is something I really enjoy when it comes to movies and TV. The Bose QC35's sound utterly flat in comparison which is just not what I want when it comes to entertainment sound.

So oddly, and just in regards to my personal needs? It's sort of a balancing act where I prefer the Bose QC35's noise cancelling but on the other hand much more prefer the Sonic Solace sound signature. I'm actually rather surprised as the cheap Sonic Solace are damn enjoyable to listen too (I've only listened to music so far) ... much more enjoyable sound-wise than are the Bose ...

Thanks again for the suggestions ...

joel

Glad to hear they met your expectations for the price. :)

I am curious as to whether you got the black or the tan?

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 18
Glad to hear they met your expectations for the price. :)

I am curious as to whether you got the black or the tan?

I got the black ones ... and that's another thing ... they are remarkably well built ... very solid and nothing "rickety" or cheap feeling about them ... the pads feel excellent and overall, pretty surprised at the build quality ...

Was listening to some Brian Bromberg (jazz with lots of stand up bass) and they sound wonderful ... a definite, but very nice and clean "V" shaped sound sig ... far more enjoyable than the Bose QC35's in regards to sound quality IMHO ...

joel

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 18
Jul 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks ... those are indeed quite pretty ... but for sitcom/movie watching only ... way out of my price range ... $65 on sale? The Monoprice cans are right up my alley ...

You could probably find them for $150 on Black Friday, but I think you'll be satisfied with keeping the Monoprice cans.

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 18
Also, and this might be obvious to those of you who know more about active noise cancelling than myself ... but the Sonic Solace cans sound even better without ANC on ... is this the norm with ANC cans?

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 18
Also, and this might be obvious to those of you who know more about active noise cancelling than myself ... but the Sonic Solace cans sound even better without ANC on ... is this the norm with ANC cans?

Some but not all. ANC itself doesn't make the sound better (in fact many think it mucks it up) but sometimes wireless headphones are tuned specifically around ANC so it'll sound off with ANC disabled.

Edit: thought you said it sounds better with it on, not without. Yes, ANC mucks up the sound.

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 18
Some but not all. ANC itself doesn't make the sound better (in fact many think it mucks it up) but sometimes wireless headphones are tuned specifically around ANC so it'll sound off with ANC disabled.

Edit: thought you said it sounds better with it on, not without. Yes, ANC mucks up the sound.

They sound surprisingly good with ANC on or off ... much better than I expected having listened to the Bose QC35's all week ... but they sound even better with the ANC off ...

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 18
They sound surprisingly good with ANC on or off ... much better than I expected having listened to the Bose QC35's all week ... but they sound even better with the ANC off ...

Yeah, ANC is basically white noise so it'll add some static and distortion to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back