Best [Artist#1] album not by [Artist#1] is [THIS RECORD]....
May 25, 2006 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

eduj

1000+ Head-Fier
...by [Artist #2]

Get it? Goes like this . . .

The best David Bowie album not by David Bowie is “Dog Man Star” by Suede.

The best Madonna album not by Madonna is “Love Angel Music Baby” by Gwen Stefani.

The best Wire album not by Wire is Elastica by Elastica.

The best Joy Division album not by Joy Division is “Turn On The Bright Lights” by Interpol.

The best Blondie album not by Blondie is “Witching Hour” by Ladytron.

The best Pink Floyd album not by Pink Floyd is "Up The Downstairs" by Porcupine Tree

The best AC/DC album not by AC/DC is Accept's Balls to the Wall

Got it? Go . .
tongue.gif

May 25, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 14
I thought the best Pink Floyd album not by Pink Floyd is "OK Computer" by Radiohead, and the best Radiohead album not by Radiohead is "Stupid Dream" by Porcupine Tree

The best Velvet Underground album not by VU is "The Days of Wine and Roses" by Dream Syndicate

The best Talking Heads album not by TH is "Emergency & I" by the Dismemberment Plan

The best Band album not by the Band is "Starving Winter Report" by the Deadstring Brothers

The best Neil Young album not by Neil Young is "Didn't It Rain" by Songs:Ohia

This game isn't really that much fun
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 14
i guess one have to be a real music geek to find such a game fun
biggrin.gif
[size=xx-small](I'am)[/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey

The best Velvet Underground album not by VU is "The Days of Wine and Roses" by Dream Syndicate

agree!

May 25, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Heh. I disagree with a lot of those choices (well except Porcupine Tree's Up the Downstair. I'm a huge fan but it's definitely a Floyd album at heart).

The problem comes with associating hype (negative or positive) with an artist. Interpol isn't great and is derivative but the singer doesn't sound all that much like Joy Division and the sound isn't much the same. Sure Joy Division is a reference point for the era and style of music they copied but calling them a pure Joy Division derivative cheapens what a great album Turn On The Bright Lights was.

Emergency & I as Talking Heads? Umm, I missed something. Sure it's got that druggy paranoia and frantic sound but Dismemberment Plan were entirely different.

I know, you who made the comparisons understand what I'm saying but you're cheapening the music for those who don't know. If you didn't like the albums you're bashing then that's fine too. Oh and I just realized I'm criticizing Davey's points. I know for sure he's with me and that's why he said it's not that much fun.

May 26, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
If you didn't like the albums you're bashing then that's fine too. Oh and I just realized I'm criticizing Davey's points. I know for sure he's with me and that's why he said it's not that much fun.

I wasn't intending to bash any albums myself. I love all the ones I mentioned. And I do think there is a lot of Talking Heads influence in Emergency & I (along the Pixies, who were also heavily influenced by the early Heads) as well as King Crimson and Fugazi and Joe Jackson and a slew of others including a dash of Wire too.

But yeah, the reason that it isn't a lot of fun is because it does somewhat cheapen the albums that are being compared since any album that I think is good probably wouldn't be directly comparable to another. I do think OK Computer and Mercury Rev's great Deserter's Songs owe quite a bit to Dark Side of the Moon, although volumes have already been written on those comparisons so nothing very original in that one. The Mercury Rev album is more a mix of Pink Floyd and the Band, so doesn't have as direct a link as Radiohead. But Porcupine Tree even mention "listening to The Bends" in the lyrics to "Pure Narcotic" on Stupid Dream. Many parallels and similarities there. Too many in places, but PT developed a bit more of their own personality later.

May 26, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 14
Reverse Jude has a nice topic going. Nice avvy too - New Order's Blue Monday '88 12" Single cover art, right? Well, in that case...

The best New Order album not by New Order is The Head on the Door by The Cure.
evil_smiley.gif

104-3663226-9657507

May 26, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 14
it wasn't my intention to bash any albums.I like all the albums I mentioned and actually i think if you say to Suede
that "i think Dog Man Star is the best David Bowie album not by David Bowie" they will propably take it as a compliment
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Reverse Jude has a nice topic going. Nice avvy too - New Order's Blue Monday '88 12" Single cover art, right?

exactly.The 7'' has the same cover too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

The best New Order album not by New Order is The Head on the Door by The Cure.
evil_smiley.gif

104-3663226-9657507

well there are some Cure songs where i can hear NO influence like Just Like Heaven and In Between Days.And the reverse too:check the
intro of A Forest and the intro of Sunrise
wink.gif

May 26, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 14
yeah, Hooky admitted to blatantly stealing that bassline because he was mad about In Between Days, which Smith still hasn't fessed up to!
evil_smiley.gif

May 26, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
Emergency & I as Talking Heads? Umm, I missed something. Sure it's got that druggy paranoia and frantic sound but Dismemberment Plan were entirely different.

Travis Morrison wrote an article for Pitchfork a while back about music he likes that nobody else seems to like. He mentioned that Blake of Jawbreaker spent his career trying to write Paul Simon's "She Moves On", and he confesses that he's always been trying to write his own "Once in a Lifetime"

Pretty funny article actually. It's here.

May 26, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 14
oh dear, the old New Order vs. The Cure debate again! hehe...

this is what i wrote on an older thread...
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
oh no, not that argument again.
icon10.gif
"Inbetween Days" does have striking similarities with New Order's "Temptation" and "Age of Consent."
there's also the debate whether The Cure ripped off New Order's "Blue Monday" with "The Walk."
also, the guitar line from "Just Like Heaven" is similar to "Leave Me Alone."

but then again, New Order admitted to ripping off the bassline from "Just Like Heaven" for "All The Way."
also, the intro to "Sunrise" is very similar to "A Forest." and the bassline to "Crystal" is also similar to "A Forest."

as much as Peter Hook hates to admit it and Robert Smith hates to acknowledge it, both bands feed off each other, especially in their heydays. it's just a fact... both utter music geniuses though. it's just that Robert Smith is a very disciplined songwriter while New Order are a bunch of genius blokes who are quite lazy. i think either Tony Wilson or Rob Gretton said so himself.

and yeah, saying Dog Man Star sounds like Bowie would be quite a compliment for Suede, Brett Anderson is apparantly a huge fan.

so anyway... the best Joy Division album not by Joy Division is New Order's Movement! hehe... these days i like it better than Unknown Pleasures and Closer.

May 28, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 14
some more i can think of..
The best U2 album not by U2 is Declaration by The Alarm
The best The Smiths album not by The Smiths is Olympian by Gene
The best Byrds album not by the Byrds is Murmur by REM (in fact i like Murmur more than all the Byrds albums put together!)

and the best New Order single not by New Order is Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode
evil_smiley.gif

May 28, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 14
The best Orbital album not by Orbital is Satan's Circus by Death in Vegas
The best Kraftwerk album not by Kraftwerk is Automatic by I Satellite
The best Human League album not by Human League is City by Client
The best Curve album not by Curve is Garbage by Garbage
The best The Clash album not by The Clash is Stars of CCTV by Hard-Fi

May 29, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj
some more i can think of..
The best The Smiths album not by The Smiths is Olympian by Gene

oh i totally agree with that. i loved Gene back in the day, and as great Olympian was, i thought Drawn to the Deep End was better.

best Depeche Mode album not by Depeche Mode is Naive Art by Red Flag
best Oasis album not by Oasis is Hurricane #1 by Hurricane #1
best Interpol album not by Interpol is Back Room by Editors
best U2 album not by U2 is Sparkle in the Rain by Simple Minds
best Public Image Ltd. album not by Public Image Ltd. is Echoes by The Rapture
best Happy Mondays album not by Happy Mondays is Kasabian by Kasabian
best Stone Roses album not by The Stone Roses is Learning to Fly by The Bluetones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back