Best amps portable and desktop for HD650 under $350usd New Used or Refurbished
Mar 28, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:
The Arrow is a great portable headphone amp, punches way above its weight. It easily bests many of the 500+ amps I heard. But any portable amp sub 500 isn't going to give you that extra leap a good desktop amp will. Because the simple fact of space and footprint. Portables are limited because they can't be large. Don't get me wrong the I love my Arrow (despite piss poor service), it powers my HD 650 sufficiently, and actually does decent with the LCD-2.2 as well. But it doesn't have anything on my Burson. It is just a more refined, detailed, fuller sound on a desktop amp.

My thoughts on the O2 haven't changed. It is a great budget amp for anyone that is looking for practicality, neutral, and sufficient power for a wide variety of headphones. But to me, an amp should have character. Synergy is huge for me, hence why I bought an LG, but beside that amps that are "cold, neutral-ish, analytical" are just not good sounding to me. Now I do understand those that love the O2, and I'll be the first one to admit that it is a great piece of equipment, it just isn't my cup of tea.

That's all good to know thank you. I was offered the new version 12he 4g for $199. Is that a good deal in your opinion for the Arrow? Specs say that it can power any headphone up to 600ohms but it sounds like they still struggle a little with the higher impedance headphones. I also read that the new bass boost feature does more to warm the sound than just increase the bass levels and that it sounds almost tube like.

Any truths to that?? 

Also I'm liking the ratings and reviews of the O2 combo but I'm not really looking for neutral or cold sounding. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:
It really is about personal preference. I've had the
Lyr, Asgard, EF-5 and others...and would take a
Bottlehead Crack over them hands down.
YMMV,
Hibuck...

So if the Crack ranks 1st in your mind how would rank the next three that you tried with the 650's? The EF5 has always been one that I've been very curious about, because I loved the sound and look of the ef2a but felt like the dac left a lot to be desired.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #33 of 37
The more I read about the Valhalla the more I think I want one... Does anyone here have the HD650 Valhalla paring and what DAC do you use if any? 

Thanks,

Andre 

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #34 of 37
Ok, so this is where I'm at for the time being. I got a great deal on an Headstage Arrow 3G and I got a super sweet little DAC from the guys at hifimeDIY.com. I'm also looking into this awesome little tube amp I found on eBay called the Fournier HTA-2. It's a Hybrid Tube Amp that looks to made just for the HD650 but also works great on lower impedances cans like Denons and Grados. The Arrow should be here by Friday and DAC will arrive today!

So I'll do a quick posting of each once they've arrived

Thanks,

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:
Ok, so this is where I'm at for the time being. I got a great deal on an Headstage Arrow 3G and I got a super sweet little DAC from the guys at hifimeDIY.com. I'm also looking into this awesome little tube amp I found on eBay called the Fournier HTA-2. It's a Hybrid Tube Amp that looks to made just for the HD650 but also works great on lower impedances cans like Denons and Grados. The Arrow should be here by Friday and DAC will arrive today!

Thanks,

Sounds great. Since you got the 3G version of the Arrow, Robert offers a nice "upgrade" cost if you ever wanted to go for the 4G also. Regarding the hybrid tube amp, you might be better off with something else IMO. I would look into the Schiit Vahalla, Asgard 2 (if you have other cans), Matrix M-Stage, or if you are DIY friendly you might up your budget a smidge and get a Bottlehead Crack Kit. The Crack is easily one of the nicest sounding amps with the HD650, regardless of price.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #36 of 37

Thanks,

Sounds great. Since you got the 3G version of the Arrow, Robert offers a nice "upgrade" cost if you ever wanted to go for the 4G also. Regarding the hybrid tube amp, you might be better off with something else IMO. I would look into the Schiit Vahalla, Asgard 2 (if you have other cans), Matrix M-Stage, or if you are DIY friendly you might up your budget a smidge and get a Bottlehead Crack Kit. The Crack is easily one of the nicest sounding amps with the HD650, regardless of price.

Actually the reason why I got the 3G instead of the 4G was because I heard the 3g was actually the better sounding of the two. But like you said, its still always and easy upgrade away. I was in the same boat as you but after reading some reviews on the Fournier (Like this one) running HD650's it got me really curious. Plus its only $195 and has a 15 day return policy so really there is little to no risk. He's done quite a lot to the HTA-2 so it is compatible with all kinds of cans. I don't have any 600ohm speakers at the moment so that really isn't a concern. Looks like he added a special 3.5mm input just for running lower impedance IEM's and headphones like my Denons. So on paper it looks like exactly what I'm looking for. They even have a version for sale with a DAC built in but my little USB Sabre DAC came in today and it is amazing so I don't think I'll be needing the other DAC at the moment.

I'm still going to continue to shop around and I still really like the Vallhalla but if I can get comparable quality for less that does more its worth a shot.

The Crack is probably my end game but not sure I'm ready for all that. I may keep my eye open for a finished one because it does seem like that is THE amp of choice for the HD650 at the moment but I don't have the time money or ability at this time to invest into the Crack right now. But when that time comes believe you me its gonna happen!

Thanks,

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #37 of 37

Thanks,

Actually the reason why I got the 3G instead of the 4G was because I heard the 3g was actually the better sounding of the two. But like you said, its still always and easy upgrade away. I was in the same boat as you but after reading some reviews on the Fournier (Like this one) running HD650's it got me really curious. Plus its only $195 and has a 15 day return policy so really there is little to no risk. He's done quite a lot to the HTA-2 so it is compatible with all kinds of cans. I don't have any 600ohm speakers at the moment so that really isn't a concern. Looks like he added a special 3.5mm input just for running lower impedance IEM's and headphones like my Denons. So on paper it looks like exactly what I'm looking for. They even have a version for sale with a DAC built in but my little USB Sabre DAC came in today and it is amazing so I don't think I'll be needing the other DAC at the moment.

I'm still going to continue to shop around and I still really like the Vallhalla but if I can get comparable quality for less that does more its worth a shot.

The Crack is probably my end game but not sure I'm ready for all that. I may keep my eye open for a finished one because it does seem like that is THE amp of choice for the HD650 at the moment but I don't have the time money or ability at this time to invest into the Crack right now. But when that time comes believe you me its gonna happen!

Thanks,

:evil:

For those that maybe interested in seeing what amp I'm referring to this is it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261180475258?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Users who are viewing this thread

Back