Best amplifier for low impedance cans????
Oct 1, 2004 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

elvergun

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased a Pimeta…and I can’t tell much difference between the headphone out of my ipod and the amp (using line out). I’m guessing that this is due to the fact that all my headphones are low impedance models (HD25, Eggo D66, SR60).

I want to try another amp…something designed for low impedance cans. Any suggestions?

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 22
Not sure what to say. Low impedance headphones generally get less of a benefit from amps. I notice a very big difference with my HD555s, which have moderate impedance, and the difference is smaller, but still quite noticeable with my old HD497s, which are low impedance. What quality is the source material on the ipod?

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 22
I'd figure you don't really need an amp with the phones you listed, they're pretty low-fi (except maybe the HD25).

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 22
Gilmore Lite if you are on a budget and want solid state.

Woo Audio 1 or Woo Audio 3 if you are on a budget and want tube sound.

If your budget is a little higher ($500 - $600) then get a Singlepower PPX3 and chill out
wink.gif

Cheers!

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 22
How about HD25 (Eddie Current, not Sennheiser
icon10.gif
)!

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
icon10.gif
)!

I had the E/C HD25 for over month. I used it with my MS-1's and I thought the amp brought them alive. I wished I had my soon to arrive MS-2's to try with the HD25. Craig is a very nice guy.

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 22
i've heard that the SR60 doesn't improve THAT much after being amped. a pimeta should certainly have enough juice to improve the sound of, say, a MS-1 or a SR-225. perhaps at this point it's time to look into a new can! sell em all and get one great one!

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 22
get a prehead. It has socket for both both and low impedance cans, and quite flexible. Awesome amp,

btw damn man, holy crap jahn, 1900 posts in 3 months!

Oct 1, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
get a prehead. It has socket for both both and low impedance cans, and quite flexible. Awesome amp,

btw damn man, holy crap jahn, 1900 posts in 3 months!

That makes some sense to me. There's a new MkII version about to come out including am SE version w/ stepped attenuator.
CPW

Oct 1, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
wHAT IS YOUR BUDGET???

About $300.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Gilmore Lite if you are on a budget and want solid state.

Woo Audio 1 or Woo Audio 3 if you are on a budget and want tube sound.

If your budget is a little higher ($500 - $600) then get a Singlepower PPX3 and chill out
wink.gif

Cheers!

Yeah, I read some positive reviews about that amp. It seems that it drives Grado headphones pretty good. The thing is…will I be able to tell the difference? Will it be a great improvement over the Pimeta?

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
icon10.gif
)!

Never head of this amp. Any links?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i've heard that the SR60 doesn't improve THAT much after being amped. a pimeta should certainly have enough juice to improve the sound of, say, a MS-1 or a SR-225. perhaps at this point it's time to look into a new can! sell em all and get one great one!

Sell my precious Eggos??? Never
biggrin.gif
The D66s are the best portable cans in the market. I can’t believe that people don’t like them (they sure did about a year ago).

I was thinking about getting some SR-225s, but I’ve heard that there is not much of an improvement over the SR-60s.

Oct 1, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 22
How about something like the SuperDual...or perhaps the upcoming SuperMono?

Oct 1, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 22
If you can get a PPA for that price used, in the for sale forum, jump on it, properly powered it is one of the best amps I have ever heard....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back