Best amp for low impedance headphones under $650
Mar 20, 2013 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

technica18

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good quality (non Chinese made) amp for low impedance and efficient headphones specifically the Audio Technica W1000X. I'd want something neutral to warm since I can't stand bright. I've been looking at the WA6 and the Burson Soloist SL but I'd like other suggestions. Please comment on the Burson and WA6 if you have used them with low impedance headphones.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 7
It's the non-Chinese made & under $650 that's stumping.
The only good amps I can think of that fit that description are OTL and not good for your cans.
The Bellari might work as i know some who love it with Grados.
Used? My choice would be a Mapletree Audio Ear HD...

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I'm looking for a good quality (non Chinese made) amp for low impedance and efficient headphones specifically the Audio Technica W1000X. I'd want something neutral to warm since I can't stand bright. I've been looking at the WA6 and the Burson Soloist SL but I'd like other suggestions. Please comment on the Burson and WA6 if you have used them with low impedance headphones.

I use WA6 and Grado (32 ohm) to good effect.  It seems to have a nice warm, round sound with good bass.  The WA6 is one of the best built (in Brooklyn) amps made. really solid.  You can change tubes for a slightly different sound.  I can't recommend it highly enough.

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Headroom Micro amp is what I prefer. It's output  impedance is only 0.5 ohm too.
It's very similar to the Schiit Magni, but not as cold sounding. It's not a warm amp though.

Sounds perfect with everything including the ATH-AD2000. Haven't heard the W1000X with it.

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 7
MF V-CAN-II plays nice with the W1000X - not that I find the W1000X to be very picky...:xf_eek: It's clean enough to make nice with them though (they're quite sensitive, and you can expect to hear noise from some components; V-CAN is still dead silent). Build quality is nice too, like all MF gear (and no, you will not goad me into a debate about county-of-origin and quality).

There's also CI Audio and the VHP2; aside from being a little on the expensive side, it's not a bad box. About a thousand times as much power as the W1000X need though. :ph34r:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back