Best Amp for k702
Nov 21, 2013 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ilpiepa

New Head-Fier
Hello, i'm new, sorry for my language.

I read lot of threads but i'm very very confused.

Schiit Lyr, Burson Audio, woo audio, rsa, Alo.... what's the best for them?

I like neutral sound without any coloration, transparency and soundstage, maybe a little warmth would not hurt... i like also air between instruments and I'm not very interested about prominence of basses.
these  are my sound tastes...

thanks to all

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 32
Welcome!

Do you have any preference, Solid state or tubes? Budget? 

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 32
Check this amp, if you like of course. Its been already improved a little, nothing mega, but still good to know.

I own the same amp as one from the review and I own K702.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 32
I have the AKG 701 and a Burson Soloist SL and Decware CSP2 tube pre/ OTL headphone amp.

With the Decware (OTL design, and really good with higher impedance phones, Senn. 650's),
I rarely used the AKG 701's with the Decware, and they sat on the sidelines.
 Until, the Burson Soloist SL, which is a recent purchase (6months)...
.......the Soloist brought the AKG701's back to life for me. Really the best midrange, treble, ease, and taught, defined bass I have had from the 701's is with the Burson SL .
A good match in my opinion and the sound I am getting is very close to the description of what you are looking for in your original post.
    Also, like the AKG 701 with the JDS Labs C421 and surprisingly the headphone jack on my Denon DVD-5000 player!!! ...is great with 701's.!!!
Hope that is some help
great headphone with the right amp

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 32
Thanks pebpeb, the burson soloist is like "new" ah160? Maybe this AMP is overpriced for me, im looking for something cheaper…

I was also going to recommend the Soloist SL, which can be found for less than 500 euro. It's way better than the HA-160 in both, sound quality and features. 

You probably are talking about it's full sized brother (original soloist) yes it's a bit over your price range. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 32
I had a chance to hear the Schiit Lyr at the Chicago AXPONA show last March, and I was very impressed....and immediately wanted to hear my AKG701's with it...
So, I think Blackmoore's suggestion of demo'ing the Schiit Lyr is correct......would be a good comparison with the Burson Soloist SL.

The hybrid SS/Tube design of the Lyr is a good choice for the AKG 702....I have not heard an all tube amp, that I could afford$$$, that sounded good with the AKG701 Or702

The Lyr would give you the transparency you desire with the option of rolling tubes to fit the warmth profile you desire.

I would disagree with some of the review of the Soloist SL/AKG702 pairing....My experience with this pairing is very positive... In my set-up this combo is very balanced and transparent, and does not leave me wanting any more warmth...Just the right amount for my tastes.

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #15 of 32
OK so there are:

Soloist sl ss
Schiit lyr tube
Black Pearl SS

And what about little dot Amps? Like the V,VI etc.. Should be good for me?

The source is an Iriver h140 + rockbox

Users who are viewing this thread

Back