best amp for ie800, budget £200
Jun 29, 2014 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hobbitey

New Head-Fier
Hi headfi, in desperate need of advice. After owning senn ie8s, um 30 pros and se535s, have finally bit the bullet and purchased some ie800s (arriving tuesday). I am an audio enthusiast and have decent knowledge of iems and the like, however I am not experienced at all in regards to amping.

If I am correct, then the purpose of amping an iem is for sound customisation and better Sq, (due to typically low impedance on iems) I currently have the fiio e12 mount blanc which I pair with an ipod classic 1st gen, and do notice an improvement when I use it. would ideally not want to change my DAP as I love the classics sound sig, however I am looking to get the most out of my senns. What amp would be best paired with the classic to squeeze the most out of my ie800s? I would ideally like to keep the spend below 200 pounds, or 300ish dollars, any ideas?

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 9
Buy a better dap.The ie 800 first and foremost benefit from a good player.I recommend ibasso dx90 for the great synergy(clarity,treble,deep bass,soundstage).Another user over at ie800 thread has fiio x5 and e12 and vounches for the combo.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Shouldve known its a dap, sorry! Amateur question, but saying I got the x5 how would I put my cds on it? I currently rip to ALAC files, im guesing the x5 software allows you to rip in standard FLAC?

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 9
Im convinced, ordered it! Thanks for your help

Good choice.Happy listening 
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #8 of 9
One more question, how does using the fiio x5 with the e12 improve sound over the classic? As far as I was aware the music files bypassed the ipod classic soundchip and ran exclusively mthrough the e12 anyway, does that not mean the sound would be exactly the same?
Also, as the x5 has an amp built in does this mean double amping for an iem?

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #9 of 9
One more question, how does using the fiio x5 with the e12 improve sound over the classic? As far as I was aware the music files bypassed the ipod classic soundchip and ran exclusively mthrough the e12 anyway, does that not mean the sound would be exactly the same?
Also, as the x5 has an amp built in does this mean double amping for an iem?

Through line out the external amp bypasses the internal thus avoiding double amping.That's why you usually control the volume through external amp once connected to LO with exceptions of course like the dx90 which i have.There the volume change happens from the dual sabre dacs and not the built in amp thus you can change volume from external amp as well as the dap.

Different amps provide improvements or not to the sound depending of course on how capable the amp and the player is.You can't expect an improvement when you connect a $100 amp on a $1000 dap.If anything the sound may deteriorate since the built in amp is better.In my case the pico slim through LO to dx90 enhances the soundstage,tightens the bass in entry and exit while adding better prat,the treble gets a nice boost with better weight, the sound becomes richer and airier.I don't have experience with x5 and e12.Go to the sennheiser ie800 thread and ask Duncan who had the combo for more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back